Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Money - do people really earn silly amounts after uni?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I've heard on here and on other forums individuals who say they earn up to quarter of a million 2 years after leaving uni, getting into good jobs into prestigious firms and all that. But after all the companies I've looked at the only things that come close are investment bankers and accountants and they trail by a long way.

Just wondering really, does anyone know for a fact that some of these sums are attainable? Cos if 10 years after I left uni and I was on £40k (what I think is ok... but maybe wrong) yet could if these people are to be believe be on something like £2 - £3m a year... I'd be annoyed lol.

But from what I've seen only directors of big companies get paid 6 figure salaries don't they?

Comments

• Options
    Id be quite happy with £20k a year
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Id be quite happy with £20k a year

I'd be happy with that when I leave uni of course :) but just looking at the future when I'd like to buy a house I'd like to be hitting £30k - £40k by 30ish and then £60k in my 40s. I do realise they're optimistic expectations in some senses though, which is why I'm flabbergasted by people who say they started on £50k and then two years later are on 4x that.

What company in the world would give a fresh out of uni grad with little to no experience £200k in 2 years? That's more than directors in many cases:
    What's going on with directors' pay? According to this year's Croner Reward Group and IoD annual pay survey, the average basic pay for a small company managing director is £66,560. In large companies, with turnover up to £50m, it's £131,359.
    http://www.director.co.uk/MAGAZINE/2006/11%20Nov/pay_60_4.html

I'm guessing it's just people making themselves appear rich... but then maybe they're members of the stonemasons or something and know something I don't?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Well I've heard on here and on other forums individuals who say they earn up to quarter of a million 2 years after leaving uni, getting into good jobs into prestigious firms and all that. But after all the companies I've looked at the only things that come close are investment bankers and accountants and they trail by a long way.

Just wondering really, does anyone know for a fact that some of these sums are attainable? Cos if 10 years after I left uni and I was on £40k (what I think is ok... but maybe wrong) yet could if these people are to be believe be on something like £2 - £3m a year... I'd be annoyed lol.

I would say people doing very, very well only a couple of years out of Uni are few and far between. If you are able to break in to the investment banking side of things (amongst others) then you could well do, but are you prepared to put up with the working environment? Stock brokerage and hedge fund managers can earn a fortune... You're right though, finding any job that you will be able to work up to what you could call a very high wage will be difficult, especially if you stay outside London.

Working as a consultant as I do (and no, I didn't go to university), it is certainly possible to earn the equivalent of a six figure salary with only a few years of experience (didn't your brother earn £2k a week when he was 20? Well, with the usual tax dispensations available to a consultant, that will have taken him well over the £100k mark equivalent take home pay if utilised properly).
    But from what I've seen only directors of big companies get paid 6 figure salaries don't they?

Nope.

Check out the daily pay figures for a test or project manager (contract) on jobserve. You'll not often see under £400/day, and often upto £750/day in the financial markets.

Just an example for you

Do the maths on a 5 day, 48 week year and you're looking at £156,000... of which they will get a lot of tax dispensations which would probably give them a realistic take home figure closer to or even slightly above £200k. I've worked with people on over £1000 a day, so.........................
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    I would say people doing very, very well only a couple of years out of Uni are few and far between. If you are able to break in to the investment banking side of things (amongst others) then you could well do, but are you prepared to put up with the working environment? Stock brokerage and hedge fund managers can earn a fortune... You're right though, finding any job that you will be able to work up to what you could call a very high wage will be difficult, especially if you stay outside London.

Working as a consultant as I do (and no, I didn't go to university), it is certainly possible to earn the equivalent of a six figure salary with only a few years of experience (didn't your brother earn £2k a week when he was 20? Well, with the usual tax dispensations available to a consultant, that will have taken him well over the £100k mark equivalent take home pay if utilised properly).

Yea but that was because the climate was different. He got a qualification that made him indispensible in the 80s when BT and so were bringing out their computers, because there were few other experts on the same operating platform he was. He got a job for one of the big companies and then a few months later started contracting as tech support for around £2k a week because these firms couldn't afford the downtime. Then though there seemed to be a lot more money in the world.

These days I can't even afford a taxi (one trip is about half a weeks food budget!) unless I share it :yeees: or am I just woefully poor?

Some of the investment banks say they start at £26k and after two years 'induction' you spring up to £40k, at least from talks at my uni's open days. A friend who went to Paris after uni was earning £30k for a drugs company, but he left and has advised me that going after just money was a quick route to being lonely and soulless, because you have no time for fun.

P.s. well done on remembering that note about my brother, don't know how long ago I mentioned that :p
  • Options
    Yea but that was because the climate was different. He got a qualification that made him indispensible in the 80s when BT and so were bringing out their computers, because there were few other experts on the same operating platform he was. He got a job for one of the big companies and then a few months later started contracting as tech support for around £2k a week because these firms couldn't afford the downtime. Then though there seemed to be a lot more money in the world.

These days I can't even afford a taxi (one trip is about half a weeks food budget!) unless I share it :yeees: or am I just woefully poor?

Some of the investment banks say they start at £26k and after two years 'induction' you spring up to £40k, at least from talks at my uni's open days. A friend who went to Paris after uni was earning £30k for a drugs company, but he left and has advised me that going after just money was a quick route to being lonely and soulless, because you have no time for fun.

P.s. well done on remembering that note about my brother, don't know how long ago I mentioned that :p

;) You mentioned it again very recently, although I don't recall the thread (unless it was an old thread, dredged up as usual :D ).

It's all going to depend what kind of role you step into - if you go 'permie', you'll never (unless a director, really) earn what a consultant doing exactly the same job does. There is still PLENTY of money flying around out there, you just have to get into the correct roles to get it ;)

I am currently on a contract, and last month cleared (after all deductions, including some put aside for holiday pay) £6600 (approx £120k permanent salary). This included working some extra days to get the project on track. They want to take me on permanent, but I will be surprised if they offer me more than £45k. Sure, there will be holiday pay, sickness and stock options, but it's going to be a £3-4k a MONTH drop in money. I don't think that is something I can afford to do, even though I love the job, the company etc. I have also been told the contract will roll on indefinitely, regardless... so we'll see. I am also due a rate rise, if truth be told as they hired me without even meeting or speaking to me and so I dropped my rate by £50 a day as I needed the job...

£45k may sound a good wage to many (and it certainly is for a permie salary!), but when it's less than 50% of your current equivalent, then it suddenly seems a bit, well, shit.
  • Options
    Ok what job do you do and where do I sign up? :D

Really what I'd like to do is start up my own businesses - don't have to majorly successful, I'd just like the idea of doing my own projects. You need money to do that though :p so that'll start when I'm older

To be honest nobody really knows whats around the corner do they? Just surprising there's such a large gap in pay for different people.
  • Options
    As with Mr. G, I would be very happy if I was on 20K!

When I left uni in 2002, my job hunting was actually very cumbersome. 118 applications, 7 interviews, 2 job offers (including one redundancy). Most of my rejection letters were because I didn't have the experience although I was well over-qualified. Too much of catch 22 going on. After six months on the dole, I finally got a 13K job in 2003. Five years later, same job but on 14.75K.
  • Options
    I'm kinda lucky... I'm 24, have job experience in a few areas (including one making posters and helping to organise events) and I have volunteer and campaigns experience... So if I graduate with a 2:1 (if I even graduate :rolleyes: ) I should be Ok... ish with getting a job.

My area is poorly paid though as I'll probably be working low down with NGOs... I can't ever see myself on £30,000.
  • Options
    I have no intention on staying in Leicester, rest assured.

This was just a general thread really. I had a job when I took a few months out of uni that was just general but better than retail, I would have ended up on £14.5k after my induction (I left before it was over) so I wouldn't be that pleased if I left uni and struggled to get a job better than that.

Having said that, 'better' does not equal more money. I'm not sure about working in London, would love to work abroad but obviously not going to get massive money there. But anyway. I was wondering whether it was a myth or not that these masses of stupidly rich yuppies existed. I'd always wanted to be really rich, in fact when I used to pray I used to ask to be a millionaire :rolleyes: but now I'd just like to live out my real dreams lol. That is, to have a little piece of land with a house on away from other people, a bit of privacy, lots of country, be able to tinker and have animals, and lovely things.

We must work for our dreams though. And seeing house prices, it must be these people earning £250K buying ten of the above-mentioned dream houses to watch them appreciate. And now they cost so much it probably won't be a reality. Unless I set up camp in Mongolia. [/mini rant]

Just on other forums though, people say 'My friend left uni two years ago and is now on £200k'.
  • Options
    Maybe it is to do with knowing what you want to do, having the ambition to get there and getting the right kind of work experience and opportunities.

I have no ambition, no idea what I want to do so I'm pretty much stuffed :thumb:
  • Options
    In the big city there's a lot of opportunity for highly paid positions. Many of them in the financial or legal sector. Outside of the big city you'd probably be looking at contract positions on specific projects to bring in big cash, which may be fine for you depending on how you like to live and what responsibilites you have. Or, of course, these days if you can practice a trade that is in demand then you can get a reasonable salary out of that.

You do have to push to get the best salaries though. Either by being ruthless in your negotiations or by taking more risks than others do. Sometimes it is worth the effort and other times not.
  • Options
    It can be done, but you'll find most are city jobs with silly bonuses or contractors. Depending on the industry in perm salaries, you may get to £30 - £40k within 2 - 5 years if you're lucky. I should be on that sort of amount but I'm gonna have to work damn hard to get there in all reality.
  • Options
    Just on other forums though, people say 'My friend left uni two years ago and is now on £200k'.

They'd have to either be exceptional, or very, very lucky.

I left uni nearly 4 years ago and none of the people i graduated with get much over £30,000. I guess it also depends on the industry you're in, and whether you move to London, but I'd say it's pretty unrealistic.
  • Options
    Oh I forgot the medical people too. You can earn a fair wedge as a doctor.
  • Options
    Of course it's possible to earn big bucks, but it also depends what will make you happy. I know none of the jobs I'm interested in will make me rich. But I would prefer that to being some stressed city type who works 70 hours a week and has no time.
  • Options
    Rich left uni a year and a half ago and he's on a pretty good wage (once he gets his promotion/pay rise his basic pay (without all the extra bits, gotta leave something secret :p) will be about £29k iirc). And he was lucky because he got a job straight after uni with the company he did his uni placement with. My dad is retiring in summer and, as an MD of a big American insurance company in Kenya, he earns about £120k. I'd like to see these people that are earning that tbh.
  • Options
    tbh most people a few years after leaving university average about £20k/yr.
    earning ridiculous amounts is few and far between with a few exceptions. corporate lawyers and the like excluded. :thumb:
  • Options
    I was j ust going to say, one of my bros is a corporate lawyer and earns a wadge, but he does do 70hr weeks...
  • Options
    Yes most people who earn a lot work hard for it. It's only a few that get money for nothing.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    he does do 70hr weeks...

most do... but for the money... its worth it! so long as your without family commitments and don't mind not having a social life etc
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    70hr weeks aren't that bad I do over that most weeks and I'm still at school!

as to the OP it very much depends on the field you're entering but the vast majority would work their way up, rather than it being an starting wage I would have thought

How do you managed that, seriously though, at school doing something like 4.5 hours a day, sleeping 5 hours a night (i assume) travelling to and from school. and to and from work?

theres only 168 hours in a week, you could be doing yourself harm
  • Options
    i do 168 hrs/wk, am seriously undervalued!
  • Options
    70hr weeks aren't that bad

Rubbish. My mum used to do 66 hours per week. In that week, she'd have one day off (it was 2 jobs) and would basically, go to work in the evening, come home & sleep and then go back out to work again. You tell me that isn't bad?
  • Options
    all schools round here are 8.30-3.30 (7 hours) = 35 hrs a week
    5 hrs homework a night (up to 7) = 25
    good 12 hours homework at the weekend

the school recommends we're set 40 hours homework a week (averages about 35) and do 35 hrs a week in the class room. Meh

5 hours of homework a night, are you kidding, your earlier post did suggest you had a 70 hour job as well as school, and do you not get a lunch break, or morning and afternoon breaks as well?
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Working is nothing like studying darling.

Come back in a few years time and say school is harder than working for money eh? ;)

I'm going to say without a doubt it is! I go to work to relax from studying :p Even have to study at lunch breaks at work most days :(

But as many have said it depends on what line of work you go into. I saw a pharmacist straight out of school start making $82k (40k pounds), doctors will be the same. Or you can get a psychology degree, work in HR and end up making less than 15k pounds. Seen that too. Especially depending on where you live. You'll make alot more in the city and suburbs than you will in the po-dunk.

Then again the doctors and pharmacists start out working with over $200k in debt and get probation on their licenses if they default on payments while many others will have less than $20k, that'll make a huge difference on the actual amount of money you have in pocket!
  • Options
    I know two people who left uni when I did who got graduate jobs, one with a big city bank and the other with the civil service. The banker is earning about £80,000 a year and the civil servant is earning about £50,000. The civil servant got a first from Oxbridge. We all left uni in 2004.

I simply don't believe that graduates- even on the top training schemes- will be earning £200,000pa within a couple of years. Some undoubtedly will, but they are very very few and far between. I think £100,000 is attainable for the top performers, though.

Most graduates are earning probably between £17,000 and £30,000 depending on job. My wage is quite low because of the field I work in, but it's enough to pay for a house and a cat so I'm happy.
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    *yawn* Of course.

I studied Law at University. I know what a hard subject is.

I'd go back to University now if I could. I hate working!

I'm the opposite, I found uni far less rewarding and far harder work than what I do for a living. Work is a doddle to me, but thats because I enjoy it, it challenges me and I get satisfaction from solving the problems.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    My wage is quite low because of the field I work in, but it's enough to pay for a house and a cat so I'm happy.

and a wife?
  • Options
    the way things are going shyboy i'd be happy if i got a stable graduate level job when i finish uni.

the money you earn and how successful you are financially depends on what value you place on having £ over other things in life. you will find lots of rich miserable people who lost track of why they wanted £ in the first place and they just want more and more, many people on 100k jobs are trapped under mountains of debt and their quality of life isn't any better than you or i.

my goal is to earn enough to get out of the rat race and get by comfortably so i can choose what to do with my time, rather than work for somebody else the rest of my life because time is ultimately more valuable than anything else.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    and a wife?

She's more than capable of paying for herself;)
    lacrymosa wrote:
    I'd go back to University now if I could. I hate working!

Then you're doing the wrong job.

My job interests me far more than my university studies did. It's pretty challenging too, especially when I have to prepare the appeal papers and the like. Even more importantly, I have money now. I wouldn't really want to go back to being a full time student.

So obviously I'm off to spend eight grand on the LPC. At least my boss is doing the same course at the same time.