Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The annual gravy train is about to depart: all fat cats aboard!

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Leeds is the largest city in Europe without a tram or metro. For the second city, Birmingham has very poor public transport..

Absolutely. We of course have appealed for one on many occasions. Hell on one attempt we even did the preliminary work before the government told us to effoff. Still the local TOC's are attempting to put some extra capacity in on the railways anyway!
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Another advantage of building a high speed line is that in addition to cutting air travel domestically it would also attract some Continental air travellers to the train. Manchester to Paris city centre to city centre in under 5 hours would actually be better than flying, even with a change at St. Pancras.

Why would you build a high speed line to make Paris to Manchester in 5 hours. It already is about that. 2:30 on EStar, ten min walk to Euston then 2:15 to Manc. Makes it about five hours anyway!!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    St Pancras is a five minute walk from Euston. It's not as if it's impossible to go to Paris for the weekend on the train at the moment.

It's not impossible, but it's far from easy, as just to get to New Street station from my house can take up to an hour depending on buses and connecting trains. Plus the added cost makes it unviable.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    It's not impossible, but it's far from easy, as just to get to New Street station from my house can take up to an hour depending on buses and connecting trains. Plus the added cost makes it unviable.

Not with a through ticket. http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/interlining.jsp

From my experience in the West Mids I doubt there is many stations more than 30 mins from New Street, Coventry or Wolves.
  • Options
    Ooh I didn't know there were through fares. Are they singles or returns though? Part of me is itching to come back from Poland to the UK on the train, I think that would be a great journey!
  • Options
    Do you have a source?
    Fifth paragraph:

"A combination of cheap air fares and poor train punctuality has resulted in a shift from rail to air in the past decade, with six times as many people flying from Glasgow or Edinburgh to London as catching a train."

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/business/article714703.ece

I think it would benefit more people to extend, improve and develop public transport in British cities. Extending the Midland Metro, starting on Cross Rail, putting the necessary money into the tube and building a tram or metro in Leeds should all be much higher priorities than shaving a bit of time off long distance rail services to Scotland. Leeds is the largest city in Europe without a tram or metro. For the second city, Birmingham has very poor public transport..

How many people regularly go from London to Aberdeen? I think it's pretty obvious that it's a lot less than those who live and work in cities and need to get around. The West Midlands conurbation alone has half the population of Scotland and London's population exceeds Scotland's. Yes, it'd be nice if London-Glasgow was a bit quicker but it would cost billions and billions: laying down new track, buying land to make way for bigger tracks, new trains, etc. Money that could be better spent I think.
    I disagree. A great many millions of people live within short distance of the London-Scotland route. Naturally the line would stop at, or branch off from major cities along, from Birmingham to Manchester/Liverpool or Newcastle.
  • Options
    Ooh I didn't know there were through fares. Are they singles or returns though? Part of me is itching to come back from Poland to the UK on the train, I think that would be a great journey!
    They offer both singles and returns.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Brighton to Bedford doesnt have any because its primarily a commuter railway and there isn't the free capacity to offer cheap fares.
    If you travel late at night or on a weekend then you probably do get some maintenance every now and again, but everything needs some sort of maintenance and it has to be done at times where it'll cause the least possible disruption.

Oh yeah, the Brighton to Bedford line'll fuck you whoever you are: commuter or leisure traveller.

There are plenty of free seats at weekends so they could offer discounted tickets then, but they won't.

I'm sure other train operators on other lines offer discounts; to pretend that travelling with Capital Connect does anything other than leave you feeling sore, in every sense of the word, is just plain silly.
  • Options
    I disagree. A great many millions of people live within short distance of the London-Scotland route. Naturally the line would stop at, or branch off from major cities along, from Birmingham to Manchester/Liverpool or Newcastle.

If you're gonna have so many stops and such a odd route Birmingham, Liverpool and Newcastle you're aren't gonna get a quick journey zig-zagging across the country.

High Speed lines arent the way forward just yet for the UK when there is so much more that can be done with the UK network providing the government puts their hands in their fucking pockets.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, the Brighton to Bedford line'll fuck you whoever you are: commuter or leisure traveller.

There are plenty of free seats at weekends so they could offer discounted tickets then, but they won't.

I'm sure other train operators on other lines offer discounts; to pretend that travelling with Capital Connect does anything other than leave you feeling sore, in every sense of the word, is just plain silly.

None of the suburban London TOC's (FCC, Southern, South Eastern, South West Trains) offer a great deal of advance purchase, partially because of lack of capacity, partially because the nature of their operation is frequent services over short distances.

I will admit First Capital Connect have suffered a rough deal, and the Government has shafted them. The Great Northern side (Kings Cross - Peterborough/Cambridge) is fine but the old 'Thameslink' section has been shafted, with lack of rolling stock and track investment. The government of course was meant to build 'Thameslink 2000' to sort this all out but of course it's never bothered and FCC has been left to rot.
  • Options
    If you're gonna have so many stops and such a odd route Birmingham, Liverpool and Newcastle you're aren't gonna get a quick journey zig-zagging across the country.
    Well it doesn't need to be on the same line of course.
    High Speed lines arent the way forward just yet for the UK when there is so much more that can be done with the UK network providing the government puts their hands in their fucking pockets.
    Why not do both?
  • Options
    They offer both singles and returns.

Yes I gathered that. But that link says something like £69, if that's a single fare from Birmingham to Paris then I may as well fly.
  • Options
    British railways are an embarrassment. :thumb:
  • Options
    Yes I gathered that. But that link says something like £69, if that's a single fare from Birmingham to Paris then I may as well fly.

Under 25's start about £35. Might be worth putting the dates in and trying it :)
    Why not do both?

I don't know. Maybe these people will be able to help:

Department for Transport
    Great Minster House
    76 Marsham Street
    London
    SW1P 4DR

Ask them to sort the rest of the fucking shit they are causing out too. Good luck.

I think planning a high speed line will be a pain, as well compulsory land purchase, purchasing the rolling stock etc when a lot more can be gained from the current network.
  • Options
    I know Britain is more densely populated than the likes of Spain, but if they can do it so can Britain. Spain is considerably less wealthy than Britain and yet by 2010 it will have the world's largest network of high speed trains, surpassing even France.

I don't know where to find it now but I have seen an expert report that said for every Pound invested in high speed railways the country would get back 1.8 in increased business and tourism. It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    They have some Pacer's (which were introduced in 1985!) which are there temporarily while stock moves elsewhere and will be replaced within two years. Its new rolling stock (unreliable 5 carriage sets) are being replaced with 30 year HST's (Which are internally/externally refurbed and have new engines) which are 8/9 carriages and offer increased comfort in refurbed form. The new rolling stock will then be given to other companies in order for them to expand where they can be looked after correctly.

Complete bullshit. Northern were due to recieve 30 Class 158 trains from other companies, instead they are getting 22 with the rest going to Scotland to cover new line openings.. 9 Class 142's gone to Great Western, leaving an increase of 13 still. In addition they are getting 9 extra carriages to make 2 car sets into 3 car sets. When London Midland and London Overground get their new trains (Class 172 within 2 years) the Class 150's currently used will be cascaded to First Great Western to cover their 142's being withdrawn and 142's to be withdrawn from Northern. In addition Class 350's to London Midland will cascade some old electric stock in Yorkshire and Scotland.

South Eastern's price increase has been dictated by the DfT to cover the cost of the new Javelin trains and funding of the CTRL. Not the fault of the TOC that one....

Overall reliability is increasing. Some sections are suffering in paticular from overcrowding lines and infrastructure failiures. This is being worked on and improved.

Ebbw Vale is one example and is being funded by Welsh Assembly. There are many many other examples of station improvements, in the last 6 or so years Leeds, Edinburgh, Manchester Piccadilly, St Pancras have all been completely redone. Many many other stations are having increased platforms or platform lengths, increases for customer comfort and increased accessibility for the disabled.

I just wish you'd use something other than Private Eye, as I say over and over and over again Private Eye know jack shit about the damn railways.
    Well Private Eye is the only publication prepared to speak in depth about the fortunes and tricks of the trade. I'll take your word for it about some of claims made about the new rolling stock, but the fact remains that some companies are underperforming. And they should not be allowed to hike prices unless they deliver.
  • Options
    I'm sure the cost of labour and building materials is cheaper in Spain as well as well as in France. The thing is to get anywhere near 20 miles of London it'll all have to be underground which makes it even more expensive and means it takes a lot lot longer as well as slowing down journey times.. To do this when their are so many 'easy gains' to be had doesn't make sense to me. We've managed to take over 30 mins off London to Glasgow by renewing track and adding tilting technology and it doesnt have to be that expensive. There will be a ten minute saving on Leeds to Manchester within 3 years as they are spending about £600,000 to simply remodel a couple of junctions and strengthen a few bridges. A high speed line would barely shave anymore off that journey time.
  • Options
    Well Private Eye is the only publication prepared to speak in depth about the fortunes and tricks of the trade. I'll take your word for it about some of claims made about the new rolling stock, but the fact remains that some companies are underperforming. And they should not be allowed to hike prices unless they deliver.
    Some companies are underperfoming, I'm sure even they will admit that. Of course it isn't helped by an outdated infrastructure in some areas (for example the vast majority of delays to 'one' and NXEC are due to poor quality overhead line equipment which BR did on the cheap). The railway was also always have 'outside' problems as well, in excess of 25 trains were disrupted yesterday due to a fatality in Leeds, another 30 due to a fatality in Birmingham, London Bridge is a disaster due to the fire brigade closing the line at New Cross Gate due to a warehouse fire. When your run at 2 to 3 fatalities a day (more at this time of year) it doesn't help. All these aren't the fault of the railways, they are all secondary causes which the railway has to try and cope with. Of course the railway does shoot itself in the foot on occasion, but not without the help of the Government throttling the quality of service and just going for the money.

I'm looking forward primarily to tomorrow when its gonna snow heavily in the North. When the airports and buses fall apart the rails SHOULD be going as normal.
  • Options
    I'm sure the cost of labour and building materials is cheaper in Spain as well as well as in France. The thing is to get anywhere near 20 miles of London it'll all have to be underground which makes it even more expensive and means it takes a lot lot longer as well as slowing down journey times.. To do this when their are so many 'easy gains' to be had doesn't make sense to me. We've managed to take over 30 mins off London to Glasgow by renewing track and adding tilting technology and it doesnt have to be that expensive. There will be a ten minute saving on Leeds to Manchester within 3 years as they are spending about £600,000 to simply remodel a couple of junctions and strengthen a few bridges. A high speed line would barely shave anymore off that journey time.
    Er... it would have to be built new of course but if it did a high speed line would make travel between London and Glasgow possible in just over 2.5 hours. Something our conventional infrastructure can only dream about. For starters you'd have true high speed trains in true high speed lines capable of sustained 186mph travel, not the 125mph-possibly-rising-to-140-one-day-in-the-distant-future-(on-straight-sections-only) we have today.
  • Options
    Some companies are underperfoming, I'm sure even they will admit that. Of course it isn't helped by an outdated infrastructure in some areas (for example the vast majority of delays to 'one' and NXEC are due to poor quality overhead line equipment which BR did on the cheap). The railway was also always have 'outside' problems as well, in excess of 25 trains were disrupted yesterday due to a fatality in Leeds, another 30 due to a fatality in Birmingham, London Bridge is a disaster due to the fire brigade closing the line at New Cross Gate due to a warehouse fire. When your run at 2 to 3 fatalities a day (more at this time of year) it doesn't help. All these aren't the fault of the railways, they are all secondary causes which the railway has to try and cope with. Of course the railway does shoot itself in the foot on occasion, but not without the help of the Government throttling the quality of service and just going for the money.

I'm looking forward primarily to tomorrow when its gonna snow heavily in the North. When the airports and buses fall apart the rails SHOULD be going as normal.
    I do get the impression you're going out of your way to make excuses for some train operators.

All countries and networks get fatalities. All suffer from delays and breakdowns. But most of the avoidable problems related to profit and/or cost saving (not enough maintenance, rolling stock or staff; lack of second class seating; extortionate price hikes; lack of affordable fares for much of the day) only tend to happen when the railways are run by people whose only concern is to make the maximum amount of profits possible for its shareholders.

There is no real competition on our privatised railways, and no real encouragement to put customers' interests first. Putting for-profit companies in charge of public services with captive users is akin to putting Count Dracula in charge of a blood bank.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I wonder how much the cost of driving went up last year? Probably not as much.

Fuel prices are fuckign disgusting at the moment. Almost 10p a litre more than last year. :yuck:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Er... it would have to be built new of course but if it did a high speed line would make travel between London and Glasgow possible in just over 2.5 hours. Something our conventional infrastructure can only dream about. For starters you'd have true high speed trains in true high speed lines capable of sustained 186mph travel, not the 125mph-possibly-rising-to-140-one-day-in-the-distant-future-(on-straight-sections-only) we have today.

A 'direct route' is about 350 miles (London to Glasgow) and you'd have to destroy towns and cities and tackle the Pennines as well as many other areas of hills. Either you make the route 450ish miles or make most of the line in Tunnel (and hence restricted by speed 80-100mph max), every stop you make you'd lose about 7-10 minutes, all of a sudden it doesn't look all the fast really.

The CTRL (Paris to St Pancras) is about 260 miles and takes between 2hrs15 - 2hrs 30, which shows exactly how much of it is at 186mph.
    I do get the impression you're going out of your way to make excuses for some train operators.

There is no real competition on our privatised railways, and no real encouragement to put customers' interests first. Putting for-profit companies in charge of public services with captive users is akin to putting Count Dracula in charge of a blood bank.

Most of what I'm trying to say to you is that a) The railways are affected by problems, regardless of whether you have a 20mph trundle between towns or a 500mph high speed link.
    Secondly the fact that the Government is choking the railways, its limiting franchise lengths (limiting a companies investment), limited its investment itself in needed improvements and rolling stock and making stupid damn rules which help nobody. Why would the government do anything different ? Under a nationalised railway they continually put no investment in, throttled the existing investment and made no plans for expansion! The railways are far better now under privatisation than they were under government control, I just wish they'd create less red tape and either put the money in or leave the private sector to generate their own investment.
  • Options
    I know Britain is more densely populated than the likes of Spain, but if they can do it so can Britain. Spain is considerably less wealthy than Britain and yet by 2010 it will have the world's largest network of high speed trains, surpassing even France..

Didn't the Spanish Government campaign on the Euro Constitution by saying 30% of its transport investment came from the EU? Perhaps if we had the money instead of giving it away we'd be able to afford it as well
    I don't know where to find it now but I have seen an expert report that said for every Pound invested in high speed railways the country would get back 1.8 in increased business and tourism. It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned

To an extent that's true. But it depends where you put the money - it doesn't make much difference if you put it between London and Edinburgh. It makes more if you put it between Leeds and Sheffield. But the same is also true of the putting money into roads and airports (and you get even more bang for your buck if you regenerate city centres, build new offices and can attract in the private sector investment)

Also the 80p isn't a tax return it's money into the country, only part of the £1.80 returns to the Government in taxation so the Government looses money.
  • Options
    Spain's high-speed rail network, like most of its infrastructure, was funded through EU subsidy.

Given that the UK pays more into the EU than it gets back, it's easy to see why the mostly-rural Spain can afford high-speed trains and we can't.

Of course you also need to factor in the cost of land purchase in the crowded UK. Birmingham starts about 20 miles outside of the city centre, and when you think that the average semi costs £130,000, that's a lot of compulsory purchase orders to pay for.

Like most people, I think spending the £30billion on local transport- CrossRail, Thameslink 2000, Project Orpheus and the like- will be a much better long-term investment. Most of the travelling time you incur is in on local transport and local transport improvements are where the biggest savings will happen. It takes me as long to travel the 8 miles into town on the bus as it does to travel the 60 miles to Darlington on the train.

Aladdin, you really shouldn't take all your facts from Private Eye. Private Eye has many plus-points, but the journalists who report on the trains are heavily biased and simply do not report the facts accurately.

Whilst the privatised network has many flaws- not least the ROSCOs- most of us who have any professional or personal interest in the railways appreciate that the privatised network is better than the nationalised network. Take my local rural line, the Settle-Carlisle railway, which is a UNESCO world heritage site now. Back in 1980 BR tried to shut it by lying about the cost of repairing Ribblehead viaduct. As late as 1996 there was no Sunday train service in winter. Now we have a train every two hours during the day and further investment is on the way.

Trying to argue with you about railways is utterly pointless, though, as you know fuck all about how the railways work.

And fact fans: I'm off to London in a fortnight for a tenner return. The boss is off to London first class return for £90 on Friday and she's travelling on a train that gets in at 9.15am. Only booked the ticket yesterday.
  • Options
    Kermit
    Trying to argue with you about railways is utterly pointless, though, as you know fuck all about how the railways work.

Everything you had said up until that point I found really interesting, informative and made me want to understand more rather than just moaning about the trains. It was all really constructive and helpful up until that point; why the little dig at the end, it just puts peoples backs up.
  • Options
    Because with Aladdin we go round and round and round. It's really quite tiresome and was only directed at him. His whole argument is based on the tiring "private = bad" which isn't really true when you look at the success stories like GNER or Deutsche Bahn.

I'd love for everyone to understand that whilst TOCs make mistakes- First Great Western at the moment is a disaster zone- the whole thing is far more complex than that. And for all the talk of Government being best, bear in mind that this week's problems stem from Network Rail's incompetence. Who are, er, owned by the Government.
  • Options
    As a matter of interest does anyone know how much the Tube tickets will be going up this year?
  • Options
    As a matter of interest does anyone know how much the Tube tickets will be going up this year?
    All TfL fares frozen.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Because with Aladdin we go round and round and round. It's really quite tiresome and was only directed at him. His whole argument is based on the tiring "private = bad" which isn't really true when you look at the success stories like GNER or Deutsche Bahn.

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/search.php?searchid=1682921

Indeed. Its pages and pages of Aladdin wading in with 'THEIR ONLY INNIT FOR THE MONEY' and 'BRING BACK BRITISH RAIL'.
  • Options
    I will admit First Capital Connect have suffered a rough deal, and the Government has shafted them. The Great Northern side (Kings Cross - Peterborough/Cambridge) is fine but the old 'Thameslink' section has been shafted, with lack of rolling stock and track investment. The government of course was meant to build 'Thameslink 2000' to sort this all out but of course it's never bothered and FCC has been left to rot.

Thamelink where pretty crap when I used to commute on them. I'd rather get the train to Victoria and tube it across london then go direct on First Capital Connect.

I dont think Southern are doing that badly, especially compared to Connex :yuck: . I have YP and tend to travel mainly off peak, its almost the same price to get the train or the bus into Brighton at the weekends from where I live now.

The contiental trains are so much better, easy to get seats, run on time, and are very quick.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

I'd love for everyone to understand that whilst TOCs make mistakes- First Great Western at the moment is a disaster zone- the whole thing is far more complex than that. And for all the talk of Government being best, bear in mind that this week's problems stem from Network Rail's incompetence. Who are, er, owned by the Government.

What happens usually is you and Aladdin polarise and nothing useful gets discussed. You'll trot out how you can get the to moon and back for under a tenner - with enough change for a beer. Aladdin'll then point out a journey where it costs a fucking-stupid-amount.