Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The annual gravy train is about to depart: all fat cats aboard!

Train passengers across the UK are facing above-inflation fare rises of up to 11% on Wednesday.
Regulated fares, which include most season tickets, are going up by an average of 4.8%, and many unregulated fares are set to rise by much more.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7167367.stm

So what must be the most expensive railways in the world continues to rise well above inflation rates year after year after year.

The Association of Highwaymen and Daylight Robbers (sorry, Train Operating Companies) has said the improvements are much needed and they will be used to improve the network and blah blah blah. But let's examine those claims in detail. All quotes from the current issue of Private Eye.

- ATOC claims amongst other things the increases help pay for new and refurbished trains. Yet First Great Western is rising its fairs a whopping 9.8% and it's dumping its new rolling stock and replacing it with crap 1970s technology Pacer trainsets.

- Similar story with Northern Rail (5.7% increase), which is having its new trains taken away and replaced with old ones.

- Southestern is getting some new trains at least, but they are to be used only on selected services. Yet all Southern passengers (the immense majority of which will never use those new trains) will see price hikes of up to an unbelievable 14.9%.

- Another excuse peddled by ATOC is better punctuality. Yet the likes of FGW, Cross Country and the King's Cross to Edinburgh route fares have suffered some of the highest hikes, when their punctuality have fallen to piss-poor levels.

- Yet another excuse is "better stations". ATOC mentions the Ebbw Vale line in Wales as an example and announces new stations will be built. However it forgets to mention the project is being financed entirely by the taxpayer already, not by passenger fares.

Etc etc etc ad infinitum.

Can there be anyone still foolish enough to believe our railways are

a) good value for money
b) best run by private, for profit companies

Renationalise the lot. Please!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I actually don't think train fares are too atrocious, IF you book in advance (and I do have a YP railcard, which means I can get a return to London, no advance necessary, for £9.90)

BUT the constant rises are disgusting and I don't see how there is any hope of encouraging people to use public transport.
  • Options
    Actually, since you posted that, I went to check on the Chiltern website, and my ticket which previously cost £9.90 will now be £11.80. Fantastic.
  • Options
    I challenged people on this site to find me one of these mysterious pre-booked cheap tickets once, and I never got one (thanks for trying though). I wonder how much the cost of driving went up last year? Probably not as much. When there's one person travelling, it's a close contest between the train and car. As soon as you get more than one person though, the car is the obvious choice every time.
  • Options
    Methinks I'm gonna start relying on buses to get me places. Shame really cos I prefer trains.

Or when (if) I pass my driving test, I'll probably have to get a car. Will probs work out cheaper than public transport if they keep putting the fares up. So much for being green.

The prices are getting stupid though, even with a railcard. Bloody country.
    I challenged people on this site to find me one of these mysterious pre-booked cheap tickets once, and I never got one
    I got pre-booked cheap ones to get home at Xmas & got another to get back to uni afterwards. They were only £15. If I'd bought them on the day, they'd be £48+ and that's with my YP railcard :yuck:
  • Options
    Advance purchase tickets do exist, there are loads of them on the Cross Country, ECML and WCML routes anyway.

I think a lot of the far rises this year are because there has just been a major shake up of the franchises, and the ECML and Cross Country routes have changed hands and so they have put the prices up because of that.

Oh and at least you can open the windows on Pacers, unlike on a 158 where they don't open and the aircon is always broken as well :yuck:

Transpennine Express are the best, their trains are really good and the service is always on time. Friendly staff as well, unlike some others.
  • Options
    I wonder how much the cost of driving went up last year? Probably not as much. When there's one person travelling, it's a close contest between the train and car. As soon as you get more than one person though, the car is the obvious choice every time.

It costs £50 for me to drive home, £55 to fly home and wait for it... £90.90 to get the train. f'ing ridiculous and that was looking at prices for 2 months in advance.
  • Options
    I challenged people on this site to find me one of these mysterious pre-booked cheap tickets once, and I never got one (thanks for trying though). I wonder how much the cost of driving went up last year? Probably not as much. When there's one person travelling, it's a close contest between the train and car. As soon as you get more than one person though, the car is the obvious choice every time.

Strongly agree. Every time i mention that a return ticket from Brighton to Luton is extortionate people mention these magical advanced tickets. I've never seen one; I've never met anyone in person whose managed to get one; I can't seem to book one myself - I've tried booking 6 months in advance and it's been the same price.
  • Options
    Train fares are such a mixed bag. An evening ticket from Coventry to Birmingham on Virgin is £1.50 (special fare, no railcard discount) which is pretty good. From where my parents live into York (about a 20 mile trip) on Nothern Rail with a young persons it's under £3.00 return. Yet to go from High Wycombe to London, a bit over 20 miles, you're looking at £20 peak and about £15 off peak with a railcard. And speaking as somebody who actually uses the trains long distance regularly there are cheap bargain fares available .. if you book in advance, and some train companies are much better at offering these fares, Virgin are very good and GNER were (GNER is now National Express).

I think anybody who believes re-nationalising the railways will mean an end to fare rises or see fares slashed is incredibly naive. Deutsche Bahn, a private company, run the vast majority of Germany's rail network, probably the best in Europe. France have some first class long distance services but their local/regional services are patchy and worse than ours in parts. Whilst nationalisation won't help I think only two or three companies should be running the whole network and it should be very tightly regulated with fare increases controlled better.

One of the main problems at the moment is the government milking the trains: National Express have just paid £1.4 billion to run GNER's old line....GNER paid £1.3 billion but never made any money out of it: if it was barely profitable when GNER were paying £1.3 billion National Express paying an extra £100 million hardly seems sensible... If the govt wanted a decent rail service they'd charge National Express half that amount and force them to put the other half into improving their service. If even at arms length the govt couldn't give a toss about the railways why should they be re-nationalised? Part of the reason the trains are in a state is because successive govts underfunded and neglected the rail network....
  • Options
    you can only book train fares 3 months in advance :p

I've just checked my fares, Leeds-York daily returns and it's gone up 20p off peak and £1 peak times. Which is a pain because I could get out £10 and that would be my train fare, bus fare and lunch all in one! Not anymore.
  • Options

One of the main problems at the moment is the government milking the trains: National Express have just paid £1.4 billion to run GNER's old line....GNER paid £1.3 billion but never made any money out of it: if it was barely profitable when GNER were paying £1.3 billion National Express paying an extra £100 million hardly seems sensible... If the govt wanted a decent rail service they'd charge National Express half that amount and force them to put the other half into improving their service. If even at arms length the govt couldn't give a toss about the railways why should they be re-nationalised? Part of the reason the trains are in a state is because successive govts underfunded and neglected the rail network....

This is it: The govt demands so much money for franchises that don't last long enough for train companies to invest in buying their own rolling stock, causing them to have to rent (lease? hire?) it from places like HSBC.
  • Options
    you can only book train fares 3 months in advance :p
    Yeah, sorry, hyperbole got the better of me. :D Capital Connect will let you book 3 months in advance and it's makes not a jot of difference to the price.

Edit: I've just checked the Capital Connect site and currently it won't even let me book my journey two months in advance. The problem with CC is very simple: they're money grabbing shysters.
  • Options
    I think it comes down to the train company as to how many advance purchase tickets they have. I use CrossCountry to get home and there are always plenty on that. I managed to do Leeds-Banbury for £6.60 once at a week's notice, although I did have to change at Sheffield and Brum New St.

Also I think that AP tickets are released on a certain day each week, maybe they all get snapped up quickly then?
  • Options
    This is it: The govt demands so much money for franchises that don't last long enough for train companies to invest in buying their own rolling stock, causing them to have to rent (lease? hire?) it from places like HSBC.

Seeing as the likes of GoAhead and FirstGroup made £66m and £48m profit from their rail operations last year, I find it a tad hard to feel sorry for the poor operators or believe their excuses for not investing in new rolling stock.
  • Options
    Regarding the pre-booked tickets some people keep mentioning, the majority of train passengers do not travel on these fares. One of the main priorities should be to attract people away from their cars and into the trains. For those who commute to work season tickets are the least expensive option- but they are still extortionate and continue to rise above the rate of inflation.

With all respect to young persons and students, they don't make the bulk of travellers in this country and the affordability of their tickets is sadly the exception rather than the rule. It's all very well that it is affordable to travel between certain cities if book 12 years in advance and one is under 26 years old. The immense majority of people don't qualify on either ground.
  • Options
    Aladdin I agree with you, I do think that it is very expensive to travel by rail and more needs to be done to improve it all over.

What can they do though? What would YOU improve, and how would you go about doing it? Why do you think they haven't done so already?

JsT is far better at this than I am so I'll wait for him to come and post I think!
  • Options
    Sadly the damage has been done by decades of underinvestment followed by a quick privatisation sold at a small fraction of its price. So it would not be cheap. But I would renationalise the lot (it shouldn't cost a penny- simply let the franchises expire and do not renew them) and then finance it properly and impose a fare freeze for the next 6-8 years so prices become a little more realistic.

And I would build the much needed high speed line between London and Scotland. If that means having to put taxes up, so be it. With its solitary, 70 mile track (that takes you out of the country) Britain is at the bottom of the high speed link. There is no reason why anyone would want to take a plane between London and Scotland (let alone Manchester, Newcastle or Liverpool) if we had a proper high speed railway.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    One of the main priorities should be to attract people away from their cars and into the trains.

The irony is that the time which presumably the government wants to encourage people out of their cars (rush hour and weekdays) is the time when these advanced fares seem to mysteriously disappear, if they existed in the first place. To be honest, on a weekend, I would probably enjoy the drive anyway.

My favourite was when I last went to London, and had to pay £49 return for the privilage of a 9 hour journey involving a bus. Quite cheap. But I didn't fancy the bus because it would normally only take about 5 hours, so I checked the alternative route via Leeds (about £10-20 more expensive on the other days I'd looked). And surprise, surprise, on the day that the railways were being repaired, the alternative route had jumped to over £250 return.
  • Options
    I think the problem is that they seem to see the railway as a business rather than a means of cutting congestion and pollution. I don't mind it being run by one private company, but this bullshit of bringing free-market competition to something like railways is ridiculous. It was never going to work.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    So trains are good if you can pre-book your life 3 months in advance but thats it?

And cheap tickets are probably only available to those who can travel off-peak in three months time.

EDIT: I can't find any details of discounted tickets on Capital Connect's site.
  • Options
    Some routes you cant really get the early book discounts. York - Leicester for example, in all the times of looking I never found one once. Actually, I did once, one way (but the single ticket for the return leg was the same price as an open return?), but that was only if you didn't use your railcard. Using the railcard for some reason all the advance saver tickets are 'sold out' (try it).
  • Options
    And I would build the much needed high speed line between London and Scotland. If that means having to put taxes up, so be it. With its solitary, 70 mile track (that takes you out of the country) Britain is at the bottom of the high speed link. There is no reason why anyone would want to take a plane between London and Scotland (let alone Manchester, Newcastle or Liverpool) if we had a proper high speed railway.

No idea why London to Scotland should be a high priority. It would be nice if it was a bit quicker but for all the billions that it would cost there are more important priorities. It takes a bit under 4 1/2 hours London to Edinburgh. That's definitely quicker than driving and for a lot of people quicker than flying. (Depends where you live - getting to the airport, then there's security and at the other end travelling from the airport to wherever you need to be... if it's the city centre then the train would probably have been the quicker option).

Rather than spending billions on a grand showpiece London-Scotland link we should focus on improving transport within cities - Cross Rail and the tube in London, expanding the Midland Metro, etc. The London-Scotland route as it is isn't bad at all; it's actually pretty good - can't say the same for local transport services around the country, which on a day-to-day basis are used by more people.
  • Options
    So why, of every 5 people who take either plane or train to Scotland, 4 choose plane and only 1 chooses train?

The train is not attractive and fast enough. Build and run a proper high speed line, with modern TGV trains that take you between London and Scotland in 2.5 hours (or Manchester in 1.15) and you will see abandoning the planes.

It's either that or cut train fares by 50%. Which is as likely to happen as Ian Paisley becoming the next Pope.
  • Options
    I've been on the train from Manchester to Edinburgh, it was a Virgin Pendelino and cost £1. Fast and efficient.

I suspect they get the plane because of cheap flights.
  • Options
    Another advantage of building a high speed line is that in addition to cutting air travel domestically it would also attract some Continental air travellers to the train. Manchester to Paris city centre to city centre in under 5 hours would actually be better than flying, even with a change at St. Pancras.
  • Options
    In 1997, Eurostar said they were going to put in a link to Birmingham. 11 years on, that still hasn't happened. Wish they would, I'd love to go to Paris for the weekend on the train.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    All quotes from the current issue of Private Eye.

- ATOC claims amongst other things the increases help pay for new and refurbished trains. Yet First Great Western is rising its fairs a whopping 9.8% and it's dumping its new rolling stock and replacing it with crap 1970s technology Pacer trainsets.
    They have some Pacer's (which were introduced in 1985!) which are there temporarily while stock moves elsewhere and will be replaced within two years. Its new rolling stock (unreliable 5 carriage sets) are being replaced with 30 year HST's (Which are internally/externally refurbed and have new engines) which are 8/9 carriages and offer increased comfort in refurbed form. The new rolling stock will then be given to other companies in order for them to expand where they can be looked after correctly.
    - Similar story with Northern Rail (5.7% increase), which is having its new trains taken away and replaced with old ones.
    Complete bullshit. Northern were due to recieve 30 Class 158 trains from other companies, instead they are getting 22 with the rest going to Scotland to cover new line openings.. 9 Class 142's gone to Great Western, leaving an increase of 13 still. In addition they are getting 9 extra carriages to make 2 car sets into 3 car sets. When London Midland and London Overground get their new trains (Class 172 within 2 years) the Class 150's currently used will be cascaded to First Great Western to cover their 142's being withdrawn and 142's to be withdrawn from Northern. In addition Class 350's to London Midland will cascade some old electric stock in Yorkshire and Scotland.
    - Southestern is getting some new trains at least, but they are to be used only on selected services. Yet all Southern passengers (the immense majority of which will never use those new trains) will see price hikes of up to an unbelievable 14.9%.
    South Eastern's price increase has been dictated by the DfT to cover the cost of the new Javelin trains and funding of the CTRL. Not the fault of the TOC that one....
    - Another excuse peddled by ATOC is better punctuality. Yet the likes of FGW, Cross Country and the King's Cross to Edinburgh route fares have suffered some of the highest hikes, when their punctuality have fallen to piss-poor levels.
    Overall reliability is increasing. Some sections are suffering in paticular from overcrowding lines and infrastructure failiures. This is being worked on and improved.
    - Yet another excuse is "better stations". ATOC mentions the Ebbw Vale line in Wales as an example and announces new stations will be built. However it forgets to mention the project is being financed entirely by the taxpayer already, not by passenger fares.
    Ebbw Vale is one example and is being funded by Welsh Assembly. There are many many other examples of station improvements, in the last 6 or so years Leeds, Edinburgh, Manchester Piccadilly, St Pancras have all been completely redone. Many many other stations are having increased platforms or platform lengths, increases for customer comfort and increased accessibility for the disabled.

I just wish you'd use something other than Private Eye, as I say over and over and over again Private Eye know jack shit about the damn railways.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Some routes you cant really get the early book discounts. York - Leicester for example, in all the times of looking I never found one once. Actually, I did once, one way (but the single ticket for the return leg was the same price as an open return?), but that was only if you didn't use your railcard. Using the railcard for some reason all the advance saver tickets are 'sold out' (try it).
    No cheap tickets because there is no direct service. Try getting a cheap ticket from Derby or Brum to York and they will exist. Some TOC's ban railcards from Advance purchase as they are cheap enough as it is.
    Rather than spending billions on a grand showpiece London-Scotland link we should focus on improving transport within cities - Cross Rail and the tube in London, expanding the Midland Metro, etc. The London-Scotland route as it is isn't bad at all; it's actually pretty good - can't say the same for local transport services around the country, which on a day-to-day basis are used by more people.
    Absolutely Spot on
    Train fares are such a mixed bag. An evening ticket from Coventry to Birmingham on Virgin is £1.50 (special fare, no railcard discount) which is pretty good. From where my parents live into York (about a 20 mile trip) on Nothern Rail with a young persons it's under £3.00 return. Yet to go from High Wycombe to London, a bit over 20 miles, you're looking at £20 peak and about £15 off peak with a railcard. And speaking as somebody who actually uses the trains long distance regularly there are cheap bargain fares available .. if you book in advance, and some train companies are much better at offering these fares, Virgin are very good and GNER were (GNER is now National Express).
    l Express have just paid £1.4 billion to run GNER's old line....GNER paid £1.3 billion but never made any money out of it: if it was barely profitable when GNER were paying £1.3 billion National Express paying an extra £100 million hardly seems sensible... If the govt wanted a decent rail service they'd charge National Express half that amount and force them to put the other half into improving their service. If even at arms length the govt couldn't give a toss about the railways why should they be re-nationalised? Part of the reason the trains are in a state is because successive govts underfunded and neglected the rail network....
    Absolutely, the railways only want to milk all the cash possible out of the railways, if it was renationalised how would it be any different at all?
    The only reason cheap fares like the ones you mention exist (Brum - Cov for example) is the local authority or PTE subsidise the fare.
  • Options
    So why, of every 5 people who take either plane or train to Scotland, 4 choose plane and only 1 chooses train?

Do you have a source?
    The train is not attractive and fast enough. Build and run a proper high speed line, with modern TGV trains that take you between London and Scotland in 2.5 hours (or Manchester in 1.15) and you will see abandoning the planes.

I think it would benefit more people to extend, improve and develop public transport in British cities. Extending the Midland Metro, starting on Cross Rail, putting the necessary money into the tube and building a tram or metro in Leeds should all be much higher priorities than shaving a bit of time off long distance rail services to Scotland. Leeds is the largest city in Europe without a tram or metro. For the second city, Birmingham has very poor public transport..

How many people regularly go from London to Aberdeen? I think it's pretty obvious that it's a lot less than those who live and work in cities and need to get around. The West Midlands conurbation alone has half the population of Scotland and London's population exceeds Scotland's. Yes, it'd be nice if London-Glasgow was a bit quicker but it would cost billions and billions: laying down new track, buying land to make way for bigger tracks, new trains, etc. Money that could be better spent I think.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    In 1997, Eurostar said they were going to put in a link to Birmingham. 11 years on, that still hasn't happened. Wish they would, I'd love to go to Paris for the weekend on the train.

St Pancras is a five minute walk from Euston. It's not as if it's impossible to go to Paris for the weekend on the train at the moment.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    No cheap tickets because there is no direct service. Try getting a cheap ticket from Derby or Brum to York and they will exist. Some TOC's ban railcards from Advance purchase as they are cheap enough as it is.

Brighton to Bedford is meant to be a straight-through-line - it rarely is when i travel 'cause they're always digging the fucking thing up. Anyway, there just aren't cheap tickets available.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Brighton to Bedford is meant to be a straight-through-line - it rarely is when i travel 'cause they're always digging the fucking thing up. Anyway, there just aren't cheap tickets available.
    Brighton to Bedford doesnt have any because its primarily a commuter railway and there isn't the free capacity to offer cheap fares.
    If you travel late at night or on a weekend then you probably do get some maintenance every now and again, but everything needs some sort of maintenance and it has to be done at times where it'll cause the least possible disruption.