Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Deaf demand right to designer deaf children

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Would you agree that this is similar in some senses at least, to a situation where hypothetical parents have a hypothetical baby with a disability and choose not to have it cured? (I.e. 'This is how God made our baby', forgetting God made the chemists that made the cure)

I think that the medical institutions should be able to intervene in the case of serious illnesses, as should be the case with embryo screening.

There was a case recently that had something to do with this. But I think that was different because there were two children joined at the head and the medical establishment wanted to seperate them to let the stronger live. Whereas the parents didn't want to 'kill' one. Complicated..
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    Isn't what he said though

I think it's what he meant, going by the rest of the thread. It's not really possible for the parents to have all their embryos implanted and let natural selection take place. That's why there's a choice. On the one hand, some are arguing that it should be compulsory to pick the healthy ones, on the other some are saying that's discriminatory to disabled embryos.

Then I'm arguing that it's in the interest of the child (to only pick the healthiest ones) and it should only be used in extreme cases, so arguments as to whether it could be used for deafness are irrelevent because why would you be screening a child for deafness?
  • Options
    Isn't what he said though

It is what he said. You're just trying to twist it because you're an anti-abortion nutjob.
  • Options
    in those two quotes have just said embryos have the right to life, so heaven knows how I'm "twisting it"

You are twisting it. The point was about choosing between the two not the general "right" of embryo to be implanted.

The law says that when one embryo must be destryoed then it must be the one with "abnormalities". To me that is offensive.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Then I'm arguing that it's in the interest of the child

How is it "in the child's interest" to have no chance of life at all?

Not through the choice of the person giving life, who will bring that child up, (will love it no matter what "disability", will provide for it, will care for it, nuture it and actually give the child the best chance inspite of any disability) but because the Govt says that the parents cannot have that option.