Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Deaf demand right to designer deaf children

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    No-one's 'giving' any child anything, these are embryos that are or are not already affected.
    In this case, I chose the word "giving", mainly because at the time, I couldn't think of a better way of expressing what I was trying to say. I admit it's slightly vague, but I still can't think of a better word for it.
  • Options
    Er, ok, I don't get your point though. Not sure where i stand on this, i see why some people are upset and i see why deaf people would chose the deaf embryo over the non too. i think it's one in seven people are deaf/hard of hearing in this country so it's a bit of a hidden disability, isn't it? I mean I know about five people I've met who were deaf or profoundly hard of hearing, but I must have actually met a lot more and not notived them or they walk in different circles to me.
  • Options
    I would agree to this, but his understanding was that if an embryo has an "abnormality" it should be terminated no matter what. Which is very different than what was actually said.

It isn't any different at all. It is statistically rare for a batch of embryos (in IVF treatment they normally make several embryos, not just one) to all have "disabilities".

If it becomes illegal to implant a "disabled" embryo, what do you think happens to the embryos that can't be implanted?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If it becomes illegal to implant a "disabled" embryo, what do you think happens to the embryos that can't be implanted?

nothing, unless you think all embryos that are made should be used?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    i see why deaf people would chose the deaf embryo over the non too.

I don't think that is their argument at all. It's not that they would choose to have a child with a disability. It's that this law says that people like them should not be allowed to be born through IVF if a "normal" embryo is available.

It's a sick law, this suggestion that some embryos have more right to life than others. Not because of parental choice but by Govt diktat.
  • Options
    Surely having a child that can hear would be a good thing? They could be your key to the outside world because they could sign language and translate for you where sign language isn't possible. You can still speak sign language to them, and they can speak to other people. Both my grandmas parents were deaf and she was able to help them out and translate for them.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It isn't any different at all. It is statistically rare for a batch of embryos (in IVF treatment they normally make several embryos, not just one) to all have "disabilities".
    Exactly, so there must be some that are "fine". Why not use one of them then?
    The same thing that would happen to them if they weren't chosen for any other reason? (Not sure I understood what your point is here)
  • Options
    Exactly, so there must be some that are "fine". Why not use one of them then?

What has it got to do with the Govt?

You are advocating choice here, the law isn't.
  • Options
    What has it got to do with the Govt?

You are advocating choice here, the law isn't.
    Would you also allow them to pick an embryo with a bigger disability -like autism or down's- if they wanted to and healthy embryos existed?
    If yes, then I can't say anything to you. If no, then why do you draw the line before autism or down's and not deafness?
  • Options
    Would you also allow them to pick an embryo with a bigger disability -like autism or down's- if they wanted to and healthy embryos existed?

Of course yes. Why shouldn't that embryo have as much chance of life?

Are you suggesting that a "disabled" child should not have as full a life as is possible for them? What do you think makes their lives so fucking hard?
  • Options
    Of course yes. Why shouldn't that embryo have as much chance of life?

Are you suggesting that a "disabled" child should not have as full a life as is possible for them? What do you think makes their lives so fucking hard?
    Hold on, are you sure we're talking about the same thing?
    You seem to be thinking that we're talking about a normal pregnancy and deciding whether to abort or not... But this is about treatments where many embryos are created, and some of them HAVE to be killed no matter what. Since no matter what they do they can't all live, shouldn't at least try to make sure that the ones who do are those with a better chance?
  • Options
    Hold on, are you sure we're talking about the same thing?

Yep.
    You seem to be thinking that we're talking about a normal pregnancy and deciding whether to abort or not... But this is about treatments where many embryos are created, and some of them HAVE to be killed no matter what.

Indeed. So why do we need a law which says that it should be the embryo with a opssible "disability"?
    Since no matter what they do they can't all live, shouldn't at least try to make sure that the ones who do are those with a better chance?

Should we start excluding those with genetic potential of low intellect, poor sportsmanship, ginger hair, obesity, cancer ect ad nauseum?

Define better chance and why should an embryo with a disability have less chances to be implanted than any other?
  • Options
    Should we start excluding those with genetic potential of low intellect, poor sportsmanship, ginger hair, obesity, cancer ect ad nauseum?

Define better chance and why should an embryo with a disability have less chances to be implanted than any other?
    No, we shouldn't. But this isn't about choosing whom to let have children and whom not to (which I think would be abhorrent) but, given a bunch of scenarios from which we can only choose one, choosing the best one of them.

Are you really saying that if (somehow) someone gave you the choice between having a kid who'll be deaf and one who won't be (and leaving the rest to chance as it should be) you'd pick the deaf one? Can you tell me one good reason to pick having a deaf kid when you can have one who isn't? Remember that practically neither of these kids exists yet, the choice is in which one to create.
  • Options
    No, we shouldn't. But this isn't about choosing whom to let have children and whom not to (which I think would be abhorrent) but, given a bunch of scenarios from which we can only choose one, choosing the best one of them.

Again determine "best".

There are so many variables in life y'know.
    Are you really saying that if (somehow) someone gave you the choice between having a kid who'll be deaf and one who won't be (and leaving the rest to chance as it should be) you'd pick the deaf one? Can you tell me one good reason to pick having a deaf kid when you can have one who isn't? Remember that practically neither of these kids exists yet, the choice is in which one to create.

No, I am not saying that is what I would choose. however i can understand why someone might want to choose a deaf child if they are themselves and other such variables.

What I cannot acccept is a Govt dictating that the parents cannot have that choice.

WTF has it got to do with them? And why the hell are you defending them?
  • Options
    however i can understand why someone might want to choose a deaf child if they are themselves and other such variables.
    Then again, I don't understand it. And as for the other variables, they aren't known to you. In this scenario your only choice is deaf or not deaf.
    What I cannot acccept is a Govt dictating that the parents cannot have that choice.

WTF has it got to do with them? And why the hell are you defending them?
    Then perhaps the government shouldn't dictate anything else about children. Perhaps parents should be the ultimate authorities on how their children should be.
    Then I assure you there would be some who'd choose to do things to their existing children that (I assume) you wouldn't want to happen to anyone. The truth of the matter is that parents don't always know best. The government already decides several thing about children (and adults), that are supposed to be there so that these people will have a better life.

There's no way I can think of that having a disability is better than not having it. Can you please explain one such way, if you think they exist?
  • Options
    There's no way I can think of that having a disability is better than not having it. Can you please explain one such way, if you think they exist?

Clearly the fact that Beethoven was deaf has escaped you, that van Gogh had a mental condition, that Tanny Grey-Thopson is in a wheelchair or that Stephen Hawking suffers from Motor Neurone.

Having a disability means that life is probably going to be tougher, mainly because society makes it so, but the potential for anyone in life is great and we shouldn't exclude that potential on the basis of a genetic scan when they are just embryos. As I said life is full of variables - be that able bodied children developing terminal illnesses or disabled people achieving greatness. Just because someone has a "disability" doesn't mean that their life is going to be worthless.

It's offensive that both you and our Govt seem to think that it is.
  • Options
    Um, when did I say that I thought people with disabilities can't do great things? I'm sure I never said that, because I don't believe it.
    But I do think that Beethoven could have done as good if he hadn't been deaf, Hawking would be just as incredibly smart if he didn't have Motor Neurone etc.

I assume that if you had the power to remove people's disabilities you'd do it. This is technically the same thing: There's a (for the moment) hypothetical child, and you have the power to make this child deaf when they stop being hypothetical, or not to make them deaf.
  • Options
    I assume that if you had the power to remove people's disabilities you'd do it.

No I wouldn't. It's part of who they are.

You seem to see disability as a barrier and that's wrong. You seem to struggle to see past the disability as if it defines the person. It doesn't.

Of course Hawking and Beethoven would have been just as good without their disabilities, that is kind of my point. The disability has not prevented them from being historical greats.

This law does just that, it snuffs out potential on the basis of a genetic scan and nothing more. It says that a disabled life is not as worthy as any other and that is seriously fucking offensive IMHO.
  • Options
    I'd say that it says that a disabled life is not as easy as one that's not. if it said it's not as worthy then there would already be laws to kill disabled people, which there aren't. But there are laws to help make their lives easier.
  • Options
    ...see disability as a barrier and that's wrong... Hawking and Beethoven would have been just as good without their disabilities... disability has not prevented them from being greats.
    In a sense, "disability" isn't always the best word to use in these situations. What you've often actually got is someone who's got some kind of impediment which they've got to work their way around. Allow me to explain.

Let's take a more modern example - David Blunkett, a man I think of very highly. He's been the Education Secretary, he's been Home Secretary. He's done two of the most demanding jobs in the government, and he's blind. Clearly, his blindness hasn't stopped him from doing well in life. Speaking about it himself, he refuses to refer to it as a "disability". We take many things for granted in life - all it means for Blunkett is he has to do certain things in a slightly different way to the rest of us. He has the same emotions and feelings the rest of us do, perhaps even more so. The word "disabled" is increasingly meaningless, and we only use it because we've yet to find any other to replace it.
  • Options
    I'd say that it says that a disabled life is not as easy as one that's not.

But what has that got to do with the price of fish?

I think a law that tells a parent that they must destroy an embryo that has a "disability" is morally bankrupt. Most disabled groups agree with me.

Look beyond the disability and see the wider picture. What you are defending here is eugenics- a Government deciding what its people should be like, a Government deciding that "disabled" people have less right to life.
  • Options
    I think a law that tells a parent that they must destroy an embryo that has a "disability" is morally bankrupt. Most disabled groups agree with me.
    Once again, you're wording it wrong. The law says that "If an embryo HAS to be destroyed, it's better that it's one that will have a disability than one that won't" which is very different than what you're saying.
    Look beyond the disability and see the wider picture. What you are defending here is eugenics- a Government deciding what its people should be like, a Government deciding that "disabled" people have less right to life.
    I'm still one of the greatest enemies of eugenics, but I see a difference between saying "It's better for people to have black hair than ginger" and "It's better for people to be able to hear than be deaf". It doesn't say they have less right to life, it's saying that it's better to create a person that is not disabled than one that is.
    Or are you saying that an embryo is a person? I think I've seen you argue the opposite before.
  • Options
    I think there's a difference between choice and enforcement. I see nothing surprising in a group of people being opposed to a law that would mean they themselves would have been deemed unworthy of life compared to others.

There's nothing in this that says that deaf parents would pick an embryo with a disability - it's about them being told that they aren't allowed to pick an embryo that has the same condition they have.

As it stands they have choice, this restricts that choice in a blanket, generic, predujiced manner.
  • Options
    Ok... then do you think that if they wanted to, they should be allowed to pick an embryo with a genetic disease which would mean it would die a few days after birth? Or in the first 10 years of their life?
  • Options
    That's not the arguement here though is it? If you want to word the law like that then that's what could be debated and decided upon. The aim of the democratic creation of law is to make sure that all points of view are taken into account, and to make sure that a law doesn't penalise those it shouldn't.

Clearly the way this law is written is to simplistic and will hopefully be changed.

Finding a more extreme example shows what's wrong with this law, not what's right about it.
  • Options
    I believe this has dragged on too long anyway (I hate P&D threads that do), so I'll attempt to make my points clear and then depart.

I believe existing disabled people should be given any help they need to compensate for their disability -if they do need to.
    I never believed for a moment that someone who is deaf or blind or even paralysed cannot do great things, but I do believe that they could do just as good and possibly better if they didn't have their disability.
    It's always very possible that a child that is to be born will be disabled. I don't advocate aborting said child if the parents would want to keep it as it is.
    However, when there are many embryos and most have to be destroyed, it's a very different thing: The choice is not on whether a child will be born or not, it's a choice on whether the child that will be born will have a disability or not.
    Just as I believe that if disabilities could be cured they should be cured, in the same way I believe that when you have a choice on whether to have a disabled child or one that isn't, you should choose one that isn't. It doesn't mean that disabled people have less right to live (as someone implied I thought) but if you have the power to remove someone's disability before they even exist, then yes you should do it.

That will be all.
  • Options
    That will be all.

Hehe, you might think so.. :p
    However, when there are many embryos and most have to be destroyed, it's a very different thing: The choice is not on whether a child will be born or not, it's a choice on whether the child that will be born will have a disability or not.
    Just as I believe that if disabilities could be cured they should be cured, in the same way I believe that when you have a choice on whether to have a disabled child or one that isn't, you should choose one that isn't. It doesn't mean that disabled people have less right to live (as someone implied I thought) but if you have the power to remove someone's disability before they even exist, then yes you should do it.

But that isn't what is being proposed. It's not the eradication of the disability, it's the eradication of the life because of the disability.

No matter how much you protest this law does mean that disabled people have less right to life.

In a case where there are two embryos and one must be destroyed then the law says that it must be the disabled one.

In law the two embryos do not have the same rights. And that is offensive.
  • Options
    Hehe, you might think so.. :p

But that isn't what is being proposed. It's not the eradication of the disability, it's the eradication of the life because of the disability.

No matter how much you protest this law does mean that disabled people have less right to life.

In a case where there are two embryos and one must be destroyed then the law says that it must be the disabled one.

In law the two embryos do not have the same rights. And that is offensive.

Embryos have rights now?

It's just a clump of cells. I can see both arguments, but I do think from a purely medical POV the life of the child in the future is the main priority. So choosing the best embryo just makes sense. But back to my first argument, embryo screening should only be used in extreme cases anyway, so 'mild' disabilities wont be affected. But the embryo with DMD won't be chosen because it's a horrid degenerative disease. It's not murdering disabled kids, because it's going to be the same or at least a pretty similar kid coming out the other end, just minus a severe illness or disability.

I wouldn't expect embryo screening to apply to things such as deafness and so on.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    if embryos have the same "right to life" as you previously said, why are either the "healthy" or the "disabled" being destroyed? shouldn't they both have equal rights and be born?

I think what he's arguing is the parents should be able to decide, rather than being compelled to by law. Because then the law is making a distinction, which if you're really skewing it could be interpreted as non-disabled things are more important than disabled things, which is offensive.

But I think the wellbeing of the foetus / child should come first, and the law should compell parents to pick the healthiest with the best chance of survival and a happy life. And over all of this, I think that it shouldn't be up to the parents to choose in 99% of cases anyway, it should be down to nature, and only in extreme cases where embryo screening is necessary to prevent lifelong debilitating illnesses.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    if embryos have the same "right to life" as you previously said, why are either the "healthy" or the "disabled" being destroyed? shouldn't they both have equal rights and be born?

No, the parents should have the equal right to choose.