Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

You can't make this shit up

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim V wrote: »
    I also think the point that a secular society is somehow going to automatically better than a theocracy is hardly born out by the examples of Stalin's Russia, Mao's China or Pol Pot's Cambodia.

Oh come on Jim this old chestnut is as bad as Namstate's 'it's not the religion, it's the religious' adage. When you can demonstrate that Stalin, Mao or Pol Pot did what they did out of a disbelief in a deity, then maybe there's a case to start debating.
    Humanity has show itself to be quite capable of acts of hideous violence and oppression regardless of whether it claims to be acting based on the Bible, the Communist manifesto, the Koran or the Little Red Book...

Of course it has, but this doesn't for one second negate the validity of any of the points raised against religion. I'd go further and say that if you want to commit horrific atrocities then there's not much better software to be running than Islam.

We need to get away from this idea that religion is inherently good and that there are just bad interpretations of it. Religion is bent-as-fuck, and as i stated earlier, you don't see people claiming that Kin jung-il is giving despotism a bad name.
  • Options
    Oh come on Jim this old chestnut is as bad as Namstate's 'it's not the religion, it's the religious' adage. When you can demonstrate that Stalin, Mao or Pol Pot did what they did out of a disbelief in a deity, then maybe there's a case to start debating.
    Indeed. To quote Richard Dawkins, Hitler, Stalin and Saddam Hussein all had moustaches. So presumably moustaches are the causes of tyranical dictatorships.

Staying with Dawkings, in the God Delusion he tells a very interesting story that proves beyond any doubt how religion is directly responsible for sentiments of violence, hatred and prejudice. Two groups of Israeli schoolchildren were subjected to an experiment a few years ago. Two classes were told a story from the Old Testament in which some figure (can't remember who) invades a town, kills everyone in the most barbaric manner and claims the town as his own. One class was told the story as it features in the Old Testament (i.e. with the Jewish figure as the perpetrator of the atrocitiy), and the other class was told the same story but with the names and places changed to a Chinese warrior and China.

An incredible 90% of those children who heard the Old Testament story said they approved of the actions of the man- because it was all in the name of Judaism.

However only 20% of so of the children who were told the modified story involving Chinese characters instead thought the atrocity was acceptable.

In short: religion can and often does change your moral compass and sense of right and wrong, and can blind you to injustices and wrongdoing.
  • Options
    We need to get away from this idea that religion is inherently good and that there are just bad interpretations of it. Religion is bent-as-fuck, and as i stated earlier, you don't see people claiming that Kin jung-il is giving despotism a bad name.

Why does it have to be about 'good' and 'bad'? Surely that dumbs down what could be an intelligent and constructive debate.

Religion is religion. It is a belief system, open to interpretation. It is not 'bent as fuck' because it requires people to exploit it.

Don't get me wrong, the religious texts were written relative to the prejudice of men at the time, but they are only texts, not physical acts.
  • Options
    To dismiss religion as one of the causes is like saying education does not matter. That education does not change people. Silly me but I am just going to assume that a good education will make people better and advance them, and assume that a bad education (and history is full of it) will spread hate and fear and misogyny and intolerance etc and CAUSES strife and take people backwards.

Religion and its teachings provide the moral and constitutional guidelines to entire people, and people are psychologically coerced from birth into believing and adhering to its teachings.

Some of you have obviously not experienced this psychological coercion. You seem to take your freedom and freedom of thought for granted.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    In short: religion can and often does change your moral compass and sense of right and wrong, and can blind you to injustices and wrongdoing.

Sorry Aladdin, but I think anything can. People are brought up and conditioned by their own cultures, be it religion, gender roles, patriotism, ethnic identity or anything else which affects their 'moral compass'. It is a wealth of aspects all interdependent and (in my view) all to do with a certain elite keeping themselves in power.

And what exactly is 'religion' by your definition?

If all you have been exposed to is one set of beliefs, around whatever issue then you're likely to take them as reality. Just like once upon a time people just assumed black people and women to be inferior, like that was reality. Religion is (in my view) merely a set of beliefs, yet people talk about it as if it's a mind control device people cannot break free from. In the UK, we have the resources to do so, but in some countries they don't and in others they censor them because to do so would remove some power from the leaders.

But this is not because of religion, it is because of human actions.

As for the general population, Milgram has shown how people will be prepared to kill somebody, just because they appear to be in authority. Or look at the Stamford Prison Experiment... No religion there either.

The problem with blaming religion is that you risk putting the hatred of a few in the hands of all followers because in saying "this religion is bad" you are also saying those followers are bad. At the same time, we are mimicking the same "good vs evil" behaviour we accuse religion of having and becoming hypocrites. We are also then discrediting all the good done by people inspired by their religion.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Sorry Aladdin, but I think anything can. People are brought up and conditioned by their own cultures, be it religion, gender roles, patriotism, ethnic identity or anything else which affects their 'moral compass'. It is a wealth of aspects all interdependent and (in my view) all to do with a certain elite keeping themselves in power.

And what exactly is 'religion' by your definition?

If all you have been exposed to is one set of beliefs, around whatever issue then you're likely to take them as reality. Just like once upon a time people just assumed black people and women to be inferior, like that was reality. Religion is (in my view) merely a set of beliefs, yet people talk about it as if it's a mind control device people cannot break free from. In the UK, we have the resources to do so, but in some countries they don't and in others they censor them because to do so would remove some power from the leaders.

But this is not because of religion, it is because of human actions.

As for the general population, Milgram has shown how people will be prepared to kill somebody, just because they appear to be in authority. Or look at the Stamford Prison Experiment... No religion there either.

The problem with blaming religion is that you risk putting the hatred of a few in the hands of all followers because in saying "this religion is bad" you are also saying those followers are bad. At the same time, we are mimicking the same "good vs evil" behaviour we accuse religion of having and becoming hypocrites. We are also then discrediting all the good done by people inspired by their religion.

Just because other things suck, doesn't detract from how much religion sucks.

"Pol Pot was a dick"

"Yeah, but so was Stalin"

"So!?"

EDIT: Also, all this religion is an innocuous abstract entity until you enact an interpretation of it is absolute poppy-cock. Fascism is only a idea until someone starts acting it out. It doesn't make it a good idea.
  • Options
    Just because other things suck, doesn't detract from how much religion sucks.

"Pol Pot was a dick"

"Yeah, but so was Stalin"

"So!?"

So it would be ok to punish one naughty kid in a class and ignore all the other little shits because just because they were doing it to, there was no reason for this one kid to be naughty?

In theory you may be right but in reality its called scapegoating if you just condemn one, yet overlook all the others that are just the same
  • Options
    So it would be ok to punish one naughty kid in a class and ignore all the other little shits because just because they were doing it to, there was no reason for this one kid to be naughty?

In theory you may be right but in reality its called scapegoating if you just condemn one, yet overlook all the others that are just the same

What Namatate seems to be advocating is that because all the kids are naughty, you can't punish any of them.

All of the kids would get dealt with accordingly. Religion just happens to be one of the naughtiest kids in class, and the one that's acting up at the moment; this thread is about religious suck, so i'm condemning religion. If it were about labour/lib dem/tory suck then i'd be condemning that.

I've got plenty of condemnation to go around. :D
  • Options
    Staying with Dawkings, in the God Delusion he tells a very interesting story that proves beyond any doubt how religion is directly responsible for sentiments of violence, hatred and prejudice. Two groups of Israeli schoolchildren were subjected to an experiment a few years ago. Two classes were told a story from the Old Testament in which some figure (can't remember who) invades a town, kills everyone in the most barbaric manner and claims the town as his own. One class was told the story as it features in the Old Testament (i.e. with the Jewish figure as the perpetrator of the atrocitiy), and the other class was told the same story but with the names and places changed to a Chinese warrior and China.

An incredible 90% of those children who heard the Old Testament story said they approved of the actions of the man- because it was all in the name of Judaism.

However only 20% of so of the children who were told the modified story involving Chinese characters instead thought the atrocity was acceptable.

But is that just religion? Or will lots of people support atrocities if they have some sympathy for a cause.

You could try this as an experiment...

Go to Oxford and demand that the BNP be denied the right to speak as Nazism killed 6-8m in its camp. You'll hear a roar of support.

Then say that the communists should also be denied the right to speak as Stalin killed at least the same number and Mao killed even more. watch the shuffling of feet and excuses come out...
  • Options
    Latest development:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7121025.stm

Thousands of people have marched in the Sudanese capital Khartoum to call for UK teacher Gillian Gibbons to be shot.
    Marchers chanted "Shame, shame on the UK", "No tolerance - execution" and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad".

I find that pretty disgusting.
  • Options
    What Namatate seems to be advocating is that because all the kids are naughty, you can't punish any of them.

No she isnt at all. Shes saying that its not Islam thats the problem or even religion itself, its Sudan and Sharia law specifically.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Latest development:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7121025.stm

Thousands of people have marched in the Sudanese capital Khartoum to call for UK teacher Gillian Gibbons to be shot.
    Marchers chanted "Shame, shame on the UK", "No tolerance - execution" and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad".

I find that pretty disgusting.

theyre fucking crazy.
  • Options
    But is that just religion? Or will lots of people support atrocities if they have some sympathy for a cause.

You could try this as an experiment...

Go to Oxford and demand that the BNP be denied the right to speak as Nazism killed 6-8m in its camp. You'll hear a roar of support.

Then say that the communists should also be denied the right to speak as Stalin killed at least the same number and Mao killed even more. watch the shuffling of feet and excuses come out...

It's patently obvious that things other than religion suck. I'm not sure how many times this can be stated. Other things sucking, however, isn't a defence of religion - it's a diversionary tactic.

Irrational religious belief isn't the only mental software that'll get you to commit atrocities, but it is really-fucking-good at it.
  • Options
    No she isnt at all. Shes saying that its not Islam thats the problem or even religion itself, its Sudan and Sharia law specifically.

Where exactly do think Sharia law comes from? Islam by-the-book advocates all manner of immoral and barbarous acts, which is where Sharia Law comes from.

Aww fuck it, i'm not stating it over and over. You can read my points which rebuke the 'it's not religion, it's the religious' adage.
  • Options
    It's patently obvious that things other than religion suck. I'm not sure how many times this can be stated. Other things sucking, however, isn't a defence of religion - it's a diversionary tactic.

Irrational religious belief isn't the only mental software that'll get you to commit atrocities, but it is really-fucking-good at it.

Possibly, though given that the enemies of religion are commenting on how religion makes you support atrocities it's definetly relevant to point out that religion is not alone in that and ask why its being singled out.

As a matter of interest how do you see things like Oxfam (started with Christian roots), Christian Aid etc, etc.
  • Options

Aww fuck it, i'm not stating it over and over. You can read my points which rebuke the 'it's not religion, it's the religious' adage.

I read that and i dont see the problem with the adage its not religion its the religious. Surely thats true. The Muslims I know would never support what was happening to that woman
  • Options
    ^ Um, Sharia law and Islam go hand in hand. Sharia law is based on the teachings of Islam. If she has a problem with Sharia law then she has a problem with Islam.
  • Options
    The Muslims I know would never support what was happening to that woman
    The 'Muslims' I know go clubbing every weekend, drink alcohol, fornicate, don't pray 5 times a day, inter-mingle with the opposite sex on a daily basis, and listen to music.

^ All of above mentioned things are un-Islamic.

I hope you see my point. You can't form an opinion of 'Islam' based on the 'Muslims you know'. You need to form an opinion based on the teachings of Islam, and those Muslims who adhere to the teachings of Islam the most.

Having said that, like I mentioned before there is NO justification, even Islamically, to punish this teacher.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    The 'Muslims' I know go clubbing every weekend, drink alcohol, fornicate, don't pray 5 times a day, inter-mingle with the opposite sex on a daily basis, and listen to music.

^ All of above mentioned things are un-Islamic.

I hope you see my point. I can't form an opinion of 'Islam' based on the 'Muslims you know'. You need to form an opinion based on the teachings of Islam, and those Muslims who adhere to the teachings of Islam the most.
    Without wishing to have this discussion again the same could be said of all other main religions. How many Christians do you know, for instance, who have never broken any of the 10 Commandments? The point being that all religions are potentially barbaric, and it is down to its followers to use common sense and behave in a civilised manner.
  • Options
    Lord Palmerston would have ordered a few frigates over there to bomb them until they'd released her with an apology and compensation. Miliband can just about bring himself to describe her sentencing as 'disappointing'.
  • Options
    Possibly, though given that the enemies of religion are commenting on how religion makes you support atrocities it's definetly relevant to point out that religion is not alone in that and ask why its being singled out.

It's not being singled out, it's topic of this thread.
    As a matter of interest how do you see things like Oxfam (started with Christian roots), Christian Aid etc, etc.

I'm sure they do plenty of good work. However, they don't do anything that couldn't be - and isn't frequently - done by secular organisations, so you put no ticks in the religion column.
  • Options
    I wish we could talk about this stuff over a beer. I'm pretty sure i'd come across as less angry and arrogant. :D
  • Options
    Without wishing to have this discussion again the same could be said of all other main religions. How many Christians do you know, for instance, who have never broken any of the 10 Commandments? The point being that all religions are potentially barbaric, and it is down to its followers to use common sense and behave in a civilised manner.
    ^ You're absolutely right. But its difficult for some people to use common sense when they've been psychologically coerced and indoctrined since birth by this religous dogma (some more than others).
  • Options
    I wish we could talk about this stuff over a beer. I'm pretty sure i'd come across as less angry and arrogant. :D

Or if the worse came to the worse you could pour the beer over someone :D

It's the curse of written communication
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    ^ You're absolutely right. But its difficult for some people to use common sense when they've been psychologically coerced and indoctrined since birth by this religous dogma (some more than others).
    Agree entirely. That's why I'd love to see a total ban on religious education for children worldwide.

Sadly I'd sooner expect to see Elvis crash-landing a UFO on top of the head of the Lock Ness Monster than for that to happen.
  • Options
    Agree entirely. That's why I'd love to see a total ban on religious education for children worldwide.

Sadly I'd sooner expect to see Elvis crash-landing a UFO on top of the head of the Lock Ness Monster than for that to happen.

I think children should be educated about the religions in the world. I think it's religious indoctrination that's the problem; stop getting them while they're Santa Clause susceptible. Can you imagine trying to sell religion to an adult who'd been brought up without knowing it? They'd think you were crackers.
  • Options
    Precisely. Only by systematic indoctrination from a very early age could a human being possibly believe such incredible tales. That is why organised religions would fight tooth and nail any attempt to ban religious indoctrination in children. Because if that happened they would have zero members worldwide a generation later.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I must admit - I don't see Namaste defending Shaira law anywhere here.

I also think the point that a secular society is somehow going to automatically better than a theocracy is hardly born out by the examples of Stalin's Russia, Mao's China or Pol Pot's Cambodia.

Humanity has show itself to be quite capable of acts of hideous violence and oppression regardless of whether it claims to be acting based on the Bible, the Communist manifesto, the Koran or the Little Red Book...

I'll answer Namaste's points later, but I just had to answer this old chestnut. I don't know a great deal about Cambodian and Chinese history, but for a secular dictator, Stalin certainly was chummy with the Russian orthadox church. And for a dictator working in the name of secularism, that certainly a bit of an oversight to me. I highly doubt that Stalin was working in the name of atheism. I can't talk about the other two, but I imagine communism and national pride featured far more heavily in their propaganda and education.

But it's the usual replacement of religion with something equally illogical and irrational to demonstrate that religion isn't the only culprit (and is therefore, somehow justified). Well well done, you've proved that a system of government founded on illogical thought and irrationality is likely to be an oppressive one. Come on Jim, this is like the usual case of men coming onto a thread about oppression of women and feeling the need to spout all of the ways that men are discriminated against too. Well I don't think any of us who consider religion to be a negative influence should need to tell you that we would be equally opposed to any other form of irrational thinking in systems of government.
  • Options
    I'll resist the temptation to swear at that. I was responding to the point people have made that secular socities are automatically better than non-secular socities. That was what I was addressing.

In no way was 'somehow justifiying' religious intolerance - that's a really fucking insulting view of what I said.

I have no issue with the idea that religion should play no part in society - but your living in a candy coated dreamworld if you think societies are automatically better because you remove religion. The 20th century provides no evidence of that.
  • Options
    I'm sure they do plenty of good work. However, they don't do anything that couldn't be - and isn't frequently - done by secular organisations, so you put no ticks in the religion column.
    Of course not to put too fine a point on it, but equally, you won't catch secular organisations putting irrational belief systems before helping the people they're supposed to be helping (and I'm sure we can all think of our own example on this one, since they're so widespread).