Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

You can't make this shit up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7112929.stm

Anyone reckon that Islam badly needs a Life Of Brian equivalent made?

Comments

• Options
    More backwards religious nonsense. Stick it on the pile.
  • Options
    Looks like he might end up as a beheady bear. :lol:Joke shamelessly ripped from another website.
  • Options
    :O
    Touchy!!

Fucking barbaric that some countries use lashes as a punishment.
    I just dont get what is and what isnt supposed to be offensive sometimes. Its so purely subjective, I dont see how anyone could actually be punished for it.
  • Options
    If you can't name a teddy Muhammad, why can you name a child?
  • Options
    To quote Stephen Fry: "So you're offended. So fucking what?"
  • Options
    So why isn't it an offence to name a person Muhammed? It's the most popular name in the world I believe.
  • Options
    It's mad!
  • Options
    Not that it's a justification - but isn't it the fact that Islam bans iconography or any sort - so anything that isn't an actual person?

Doesn't stop it being a fucking disgrace of course.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Not that it's a justification - but isn't it the fact that Islam bans iconography or any sort - so anything that isn't an actual person?

Doesn't stop it being a fucking disgrace of course.

Depends what strain of Islam. As you pointed out yourself in a previous thread, there are different schools of thought.

Back to this story though. Doesn't Sudan have enough real problems to worry about, what with Darfur and general poverty and stuff? This is an example of how any country that has religious law becomes its own worst enemy.
  • Options
    'Offence' may be to call a pig Muhammed. This is entirely innocuous.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    'Offence' may be to call a pig Muhammed. This is entirely innocuous.

Why would it be offensive to call a pig Muhammed? Or do you mean offensive to the pig?
  • Options
    Why would it be offensive to call a pig Muhammed? Or do you mean offensive to the pig?

Lol - the pig may well be offended but in Islam, a pig is like the dirtiest of animals. But you're right - if your intentions are not to offend, Muhammed is as good a name as Pinky or Perky. :p
  • Options
    The people who made this decision really are doing no favours to Islam's already negative image.
  • Options
    No charges have been laid and the Sudanese Govt have suggested that it's an "insignificant matter". They don't seem too concerned.
  • Options
    as I understand it, the reason for the concern was the dairy they wrote for it, which had a picture of the bear on the cover with the title "I am Mohammad" - and so falling foul of the ban of creating depictions of (the Prophet) Mohammad (may his name be praised).

The suggestion that this is really about a teacher having the nerve to introduce the concepts of democracy and voting in a Muslim country are a terrible slur.
  • Options
    No charges have been laid and the Sudanese Govt have suggested that it's an "insignificant matter". They don't seem too concerned.
    So why are they making a big song and dance of it? That's what I want to know. If the matter's as "insignificant" as they claim, let the woman go!
  • Options
    She has been charged.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7117430.stm
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1294838,00.html

What annoys me is when some Muslims claim that they're being 'demonised' and 'victimised' (by the media)... simply because the media reports these kinda stories.
  • Options
    Fucking crazy. You would think the Sudanese government would have more important things to be doing.

ffs half their population are probably living in huts made from shit and yet the government has the time and resources to pursue this case.
  • Options
    I suspect (or hope) that after some behind-the-scenes negotiations she will be freed without any harm.

It is still quite pathetic and disgusting that such cases can reach court in the first place. The thing is even if this woman eventually escapes without any serious punishment many Sudanese women past and future will have endured a different fate.

Gosh I fucking hate organised religion, I really do :mad:
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Jim V wrote: »

That's right.The non-permissibility of iconography applies to all animate objects, whether they depict a prophet or not. But as you said it isn't any justification for this. If they were going to be sticklers for religious law then the bear shouldn't have been allowed in the first place.

Assuming cuddly toys are treated similarly by kids around the world (i.e. loved, played with, etc.), calling a teddy Muhammad isn't offensive at all.

Other points that make this case perplexing are:

1. The bear was named by the class and not by the teacher. Islamically, children are not accountable for their actions until the age of puberty/understanding.
    2. It was not named after the Prophet, but after a child in the class. Islamically, actions are according to intentions and intentions cannot be assumed by others.
  • Options
    "Where are British Muslims amidst all this?" Not my question, but that of Saira Khan. She wrote a piece for today's Daily Mail asking why British Muslims have been so quiet so far about this. I doubt it's easy having to ask such a question of your own religion, but it's one that needs to be answered.

The Muslim Council of Britain has said it was "appalled" by what's going on. Is that all? Why aren't they shouting this from the rooftops? Muslims are always complaining about their bad press in this country - this is a brilliant opportunity to change that. Seize it!
  • Options
    What are they supposed to do about it? I have seen quite a few organisations condeming this action in the press.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    What are they supposed to do about it? I have seen quite a few organisations condeming this action in the press.
    Scream loudly from the rooftops about it. If Muslims unite and give out one message on this, saying they think it's an abomination, people would have to listen. It would also have the bonus of showing two fingers up at the Muslims with extremist views that are out there. Let's see peaceful protests, led by Muslims themselves, outside the Sudanese embassy in London to get the message across loud and clear.
  • Options
    How exactly are they supposed to "scream from the rooftops"? Don't you think the British government are in the place to do something about this, rather than the rather meaningless catch all term of "British Muslims"?

TBH I think most Muslims would be more interested in protesting about the deaths of people in Iraq or the situation in Palestine/Israel, rather than all protesting about one woman, as ridiculous as the situation is.

Why don't you go and protest yourself if you feel so strongly?
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Don't you think the British government are in the place to do something about this, rather than the rather meaningless catch all term of "British Muslims"? TBH I think most Muslims would be more interested in protesting about the deaths of people in Iraq or the situation in Palestine/Israel, rather than all protesting about one woman, as ridiculous as the situation is.
    Well, they'd be right to protest about all the deaths in Iraq and the situation in Palestine/Israel too. The British government don't seem to do much on any of those fronts either, unfortunately.
  • Options
    I read that the Muslim council of Great Britain were outraged about it actually
  • Options
    But in Britain, the Islamic Human Rights Commission was among Muslim groups to call for her immediate release.

Chairman Massoud Shadjareh said: "Both the Sudanese government and the media must refrain from using Islam and Islamic principles to legitimise this fiasco, which may result in the unjust conviction of an innocent person, and which will only lead to the promotion of Islamophobia and further demonisation of Islam."

And a spokesman for the Muslim youth organisation, the Ramadhan Foundation, said "this matter is not worthy of arrest or detention and her continued detention will not help repair the misconceptions about Islam."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7118245.stm
  • Options
    Funnily enough during a strop the other day a 5 year old muslim child in a C of E school snapped the crucifix in half! It goes to show that when in Rome....blah blah do as they say but when in England do what the hell you like! I understand their upset and can understand why they are offended but its still a bit OTT! BREAKING NEWS: She has been found guilty and after spending time in jail (hardly the luxury terrorists get here) she will be deported...well like she is bothered about that anyway! I must admitt that I admire The BRitish MUslim Council who pretty much rubbished the whole thing!
  • Options
    *DEVIL* wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS: She has been...
    Hang on, I didn't know Satan used these boards. :p Carry on...
    ...She has been found guilty and after spending time in jail (hardly the luxury terrorists get here) she will be deported...well like she is bothered about that anyway!
    Nowhere near as bad as the media thought it would be, but still, it's a pointless prison sentence.
  • Options
    *DEVIL* wrote: »
    Funnily enough during a strop the other day a 5 year old muslim child in a C of E school snapped the crucifix in half! It goes to show that when in Rome....blah blah do as they say but when in England do what the hell you like! I understand their upset and can understand why they are offended but its still a bit OTT! BREAKING NEWS: She has been found guilty and after spending time in jail (hardly the luxury terrorists get here) she will be deported...well like she is bothered about that anyway! I must admitt that I admire The BRitish MUslim Council who pretty much rubbished the whole thing!

Surely you're glad that we don't like in some backwards Christian/Muslim theocracy? I'm quite pleased that a child of Muslim parents can snap a crucifix in half without receiving twenty lashings or having a squad of bell-ends erect an effigy.