Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Age gap relationships

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    /
  • Options
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Surely if people were 'friends' they would tell you their honest thoughts on everything rather than keep their opinions to themselves? And let's not get started on how much it matters what others think debate, image and reputation matter immensely for some careers/lives, if I don't have that I don't have anything.
    talking about proper relationships though, not whos the best looking trophy you can pull. If you LOVE each other or you really click and love is a very real potential, then a bit of age gap makes no difference. You could get ugly people the same age and incredibly good looking people with a large age gap.
    A real friend would not interfere or slag off a friends partner even if they arent to their taste
  • Options
    Generally I think if it's genuine that I don't think age gaps should be a problem it's up to the people involved in the relationship really.

I usually prefer old guys I recently was seeing some one my age and it was an absolute nightmare because he was really immature. But other boyfriends I've had that have been about 23-24 have probably found me mature for my age but still a bit young and naive at times.

This man (like 36-ish) asked me out for a drink and it creeped me out I think I felt uncomfortable because I was only sixteen and I felt that was really too old for me.
  • Options
    This thread has made for interesting reading, thanks guys :)

I know I'm happy, he's happy, so we're gonna stick together for the time being ;):D
  • Options
    Surely your "own happiness" would be heavily affected from friends constantly giving you stick / being against it / telling you it's wrong / laughing at you for being unable to get anyone your own age? Or are you lot immune to criticism?!

I have a friend who is going out with a man approaching 40 who is really quite ugly and fat (and he doesn't have great prospects either). My friend is young and pretty and when she's not with us, me and my mates have said to each other "what is she doing with him? She could do so much better!" I think it's human nature really to be a bit judgemental of things liek that BUT as her friend I also just want the best for her and so I hope that he's good for her and they will be happy together. That's all there is to it really!
  • Options
    maybe hes got a big cock and is amazing in bed? Either that or hes got money

Thats usually what id assume if i couldnt see what the otherwise attraction was.
    ;)
  • Options
    maybe hes got a big cock and is amazing in bed? Either that or hes got money

Thats usually what id assume if i couldnt see what the otherwise attraction was.
    ;)

He doesn't have any money.. But I think he treats her well..and they fell in love..so even if as friends you're thinking "what does she see in him?" you have to look and see if your friend is happy and remember it's not what you think that matters it's how she feels when she is with him and if she's happy..and she is. She's just had his baby :)
  • Options
    well, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    I have a friend who is going out with a man approaching 40 who is really quite ugly and fat (and he doesn't have great prospects either). My friend is young and pretty and when she's not with us, me and my mates have said to each other "what is she doing with him? She could do so much better!" I think it's human nature really to be a bit judgemental of things liek that BUT as her friend I also just want the best for her and so I hope that he's good for her and they will be happy together. That's all there is to it really!
    Thankyou for that - a typical human reaction, being naturally judgemental, as opposed to claiming you'd never be judgemental on how someone looks/their prospects.

Where are you guys all from where these sort of massive age gaps are so common? I've never come across it, don't know anyone with a bigger age gap than me (23 v 21).
  • Options
    well, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
    Only for a minority of examples, typically where someone is slightly different looking which some find really attractive, some not. For most people there's a very common consensus on whether they are 'fit', 'average' or 'ugly', hence on HotOrNot.com you often see all scores well clustered around a certain mark.

Apparantly lots of fat/ugly people don't honestly find one another attractive, they're only with each other 'cos that's the best they can get. Agree/disagree?
  • Options
    Age is just a number. If 2 people care about each other what does it matter. I think it's very usual for girls to go out with older men, even if that is only a couple of years older. I have very few friends who are going out with people the same age as themselves.

I've been out with people 10+ years older than me and found them to be less mature than people closer my own age. It completely depends on the people involved whether it'll work or not.

There have been times that friends have asked me why I'm with a bloke or whatever, and I do believe friends should show their concern. But only once and friends certainly aren't friends if the take the mick constantly about someones relationship.

I know when I got back together with my current fella, my friends were all very concerned cos he'd treated me like shit in the past. 7 months on and he's proved to them he's changed and their all really happy for me. But on more than one occassion they have checked up to make sure things are ok and I am still happy. But thats just them being supportive...they'd never even think about doing it in a derogatory way.
  • Options

Apparantly lots of fat/ugly people don't honestly find one another attractive, they're only with each other 'cos that's the best they can get. Agree/disagree?

lol ~I think that's another thread!
  • Options
  • Options
    Only for a minority of examples, typically where someone is slightly different looking which some find really attractive, some not. For most people there's a very common consensus on whether they are 'fit', 'average' or 'ugly', hence on HotOrNot.com you often see all scores well clustered around a certain mark.

whats attractiveness got to do with age gaps though?

Its one thing thinking to yourself "I wonder what they see in that person" and another actually taking the piss and making someone think they have to run their prospective partners past their mates first rather than follow their heart.
  • Options
    I get plenty of attractive people my own age, I just happened to fall for a man in his 30s and I'm yet to hit 20!!
  • Options
    Surely your "own happiness" would be heavily affected from friends constantly giving you stick / being against it / telling you it's wrong / laughing at you for being unable to get anyone your own age? Or are you lot immune to criticism?!
    I don't know who your friends are, but I reckon they're full of shit. Any friend who gives you stick on the grounds of your girlfriend's age is, quite simply, not a friend.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I don't know who your friends are, but I reckon they're full of shit. Any friend who gives you stick on the grounds of your girlfriend's age is, quite simply, not a friend.
    Kiddy fiddler / paedo / Michael Jackson jokes are completely standard. There's a very popular guy who has some very close mates, still when he pulled a 17yo 6th former (when he was 19) he got absolutely ripped to shreds by the lot of them for the next month. It's just 'banter', nothing to do with how true or not a friend they are. The same friends who will gave me stick for younger girls are the same ones who'll say well done, you've done really well mate if they like the girl I'm with.
  • Options
    It's just 'banter', nothing to do with how true or not a friend they are. The same friends who will gave me stick for younger girls are the same ones who'll say well done, you've done really well mate if they like the girl I'm with.
    Are these the same ones who'll be licking your arse when things go well at the bank? (which isn't often at the moment, given the current problems in the US housing market) :p
  • Options
    Are these the same ones who'll be licking your arse when things go well at the bank? (which isn't often at the moment, given the current problems in the US housing market) :p
    Hahaa. Pretty much all my friends are earning over £100k, or will be in the next year, so there's never any sucking-up as nobody stands out as especially 'successful'.
  • Options
    Hahaa. Pretty much all my friends are earning over £100k, or will be in the next year, so there's never any sucking-up as nobody stands out as especially 'successful'.
    Whenever you speak, the song "Money, Money, Money" by Abba starts to play. I wonder why...
  • Options
    yawn.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    katchika wrote: »
    yawn.

Totally. Let's get back on topic guys.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Totally. Let's get back on topic guys.
    *slaps own hand* I consider myself humbled.

Right, on the subject itself... I don't think age gaps are anything to worry about. Age should be just a number, truth be told. If we all had to date someone who was exactly the same age as us, that would put massive limits on whom we could go out with, after all.
  • Options
    It's down to the individuals.

However, I did have a few friends who went out with guys in their mid thirties when these girls were about 16. Looking back, I thought nothing of it, now that I'm getting older, it creeps me out.
  • Options
    Whenever you speak, the song "Money, Money, Money" by Abba starts to play. I wonder why...
    I've mentioned money 4 times in 260 posts.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    It's down to the individuals.

However, I did have a few friends who went out with guys in their mid thirties when these girls were about 16. Looking back, I thought nothing of it, now that I'm getting older, it creeps me out.

There was a girl at school when we were 14/15 was with a guy 9 years older. Last time i spoke to her she was engaged to him. There was also a girl in my tutor having an affair with a married man at the time too. :nervous:
  • Options
    Right, on the subject itself... I don't think age gaps are anything to worry about. Age should be just a number, truth be told. If we all had to date someone who was exactly the same age as us, that would put massive limits on whom we could go out with, after all.
    Yeah, and the attitude a lot of people I know seem to have, is that there's so many fish in the sea your own age, that you'd only resort to going out with someone a different age - especially if there's a 6th form/uni or uni/graduate difference, if you can't get anyone your own age. And it's not exactly a unique thought, just looking on Google I get these sort of comments (random forums etc):

===================

What kind of college student dates a high school student other than the kind of college student who can't get anyone his own age to actually look at him?

he's a loser and can't get anyone his own age.

I'm not surprised he's engaged to a girl who is still in high school...he can't get anyone his own age anymore because he's such a stick in the mud!

Well, your boyfriend is a loser who can't get anyone his own age, so you should break up with him for that.

the guy is a loser and he can't get anyone his own age, so he goes for younger girls

To be honest, he's probably either going for you because he can't get anyone his own age, or he wants to use you.

He must be a loser if he can't get anyone his own age.

is because 1) he can't get anyone his own age (which means he is probably a loser) and 2) you are a lot easier to manipulate (because you are young

Yeah it is, that is completely messed up, it seems clear that the guy can't get anyone his own age, and will be a bit of a laughing stock.

You can't get anyone your own age because you're a loser, can you, you pathetic, ugly f-cker.

lol you're a 20 year old dating a 16 year old. what's the matter, can't get anyone your own age so you get date someone that could have babysat for?

That's pretty pathetic. What's wrong, can't get anyone your own age?

It's not my fault you can't get anyone your own age.

Like relationships, say if i went out with a year 7, everyone would be all 'Omg Rose you pedo just 'cause you can't get anyone your own age'

etc etc
  • Options
  • Options
    You can't pick who you are attracted to! If you meet someone and you think they're goodlooking and you click then great. So fuck what age they are.
  • Options
    It always works for Hugh Hefner. :p