Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The "Islam Is Peace" campaign...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    Just because somebody is not a fundementalist does not mean that they don't follow the religion.
    ^ Of course it does.

If a Muslim is drinking alcohol then clearly he/she is not following the religion of Islam (in that particular aspect).

If a vegetarian is eating meat then clearly he/she is not following the fundamentals of vegetarianism.

What do you mean by 'fundamentalist' anyway?

A fundamentalist is merely a person who adheres to the principles of a belief or set of ideas.

Would you say that a law-abiding British citizen to adheres to British law is a 'fundamentalist' too?

If you're a Christian, you're supposed to believe in the Bible and what God says. But a lot of people have different takes on the Bible, as with any othe literary source.
    ^ There aren't many takes on Islam. The message of the Quran and Muhammad is quite clear for anyone who reads it.

If anyone presents a 'take' on Islam which is completely baseless, then obviously it will be ignored and not taken seriously.

I could present a version of Nazism which says that Jews should be respected... but of course my version would be baseless.

It's up to individual people whether they want to self define as Muslim,Christian, Jew or the kitchen sink... Not up to you.
    ^ Ok.

I want to self define myself as a vegetarian... but I'm also gonna eat meat.

Is that alright?

I'm also gonna self define myself as a Muslim... but I'm NOT gonna believe that Muhammad was the final messenger, and I'm gonna believe that eating pork is OK, and I'm gonna believe that there are TWO Gods.

Is that alright too?

I'm not trying to be funny here btw. Please lets not fool ourselves.

Every religion has it's shitty parts, but every religion has beautiful parts too. As with anything in life, it's better for us to look for the good in people than the evil...
    ^ There are beautiful parts in even the worst ideologies.

I've read some beautiful things in some of the BNP's manifesto's too. I'm sure there were beautiful teachings in Mein Kampf too (eg, love your fellow Nazi, work hard etc). You could have a conversation with a murderer in prision and I'm sure he'd say some beautiful things too.
  • Options
    I find hell quite a violent place. It is the new testament that has resulted in people telling kids that they are going to burn in agony for all eternity (and don't pretend a child understands that it's supposed to be taken metaphorically). That's sicker and has caused more psychological damage than anything that appears in the old testament.
    ^ Very true.

Threats of the hell-fire can certainly cause psychological damage and hinder peoples ability to think rationally.

And we all know that these threats exists in Islam and Christianity.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »

I want to self define myself as a vegetarian... but I'm also gonna eat meat.

Is that alright?
    I see your point here, it gets on my tits when somebody who isn't a vegetarianism calls themself one when they eat gelatine and fish because it undermines people who are actually trying to live ethical lifestyles and the perception of these people.

But then vegatarianism is not a religion, a vegetarian is simply somebody who does not consume products derived from the slaughter of animals. There's no other way around that...

Religion is by far more open to interpretation. I don't personally believe there are any real absolutes to it. For one, using Christianity as an example as I was raised by it.... Religious texts tend to contradict themselves. They have been changed over the years.

The fact there are different denominations of Islam and different practices globally goes to show that it must be interpretted in different ways by a diverse amount of cultures. Unless of course you are saying that one select group of people are correct.

Who would that be?
    I've read some beautiful things in some of the BNP's manifesto's too.
    That does not surprise me.

I'm sure there were beautiful teachings in Mein Kampf too (eg, love your fellow Nazi, work hard etc). You could have a conversation with a murderer in prision and I'm sure he'd say some beautiful things too.
    Of course there will be. Principles such as love and friendship are universal, they span all religion.
  • Options
    cheeta wrote: »
    Sigh. I can show you Catholics who use condoms, would that prove that the dogma of the Catholic church allows the use of artificial contraception?
    No, it simply proves that many religious people choose to ignore what they consider wrong within their religion and choose centre their faith on the message of love and tolerance instead. Just like mainstream muslims.

The subject of this thread is whether or not Islam is a peaceful ideology. My opinion is no, it is not.
    Fair enough. However there appears to be a concern amongst many of us that Islam is being unfairly picked on at the moment in Britain and elsewhere while the other religions with similarly unpeaceful dogma are portrayed as being different. Sorry if the thread is not going the way you had expected. I suspect a number of us here would agree that Islam is not peaceful but would add 'but then again not are the other Abrahamic religions so time to end the witch-hunting'.
    And that opinion is based on the sword verses in the Qur'an. If your refutation is that Islam allows its followers to ignore those verses, then please show me that from an Islamic source. Where does it say that in the Qur'an or ahadith? Which imam or scholar says this?
    Maybe it's on the last page, just as there must be a disclaimer on the last page of the Bible that tells people the Old Testament is not really the word of God and they can pick and choose what to believe and obey.

Again, bottom line: in practice the peaceful majority of Muslims, Christians and Jews are perfectly capable of being followers of their religion without adhering to every last versicle contained within their holy book.

And (hopefully for the last time), no Christians are not allowed to pick and choose which parts of the OT they observe either.
  • Options
    That does not surprise me.
    ^ Please elaborate....

(before I reply to the rest of your post)
  • Options
    ^ Please elaborate....

(before I reply to the rest of your post)
    That the BNP has part in its manifesto that are appealing?

Like it's left leaning economic policies and environmental policies?

What do you think I mean?
  • Options
    Aladdin, its all good for you to mention your Muslim friends in Jordan... but spare a thought for people like me who have Muslim parents, Muslim siblings, Muslim family in UK and Pakistan, Muslim friends...

... and understand why I can still have the opinion that I have regarding Islam.
    Of course you have the right to have an opinion. As I said before I would probably agree that Islam is not peaceful- but not any more than the other main religions which are accepted by the majority of people as being paeceful.

So while their advertising campaign might technically be incorrect, I can understand why the felt they had to do something about it. Because the majority of Muslims are no different from their Christian and Jew counterparts- and yet they are currently being demonised in some quarters- many of which have an agenda at work of course.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Aladdin, you keep on harking back to Old Testament! Surely you are better informed than this unless you are being purposely belligerent because you are so anti religious? You statements show a complete lack of understanding of Christianity. Once again I ask you, show me the texts, in context, in the New Testament that encourage hate and violence please.

When the Old Testament stops being printed altogether, dissapears from the Bible and it is officially rejected by the heads of all branches of Christianity I would be more than happy to ignore the incitements to violence and bigotry contained within. At the moment that is not the case, and indeed a minority of Christians take the OT very seriously and as the literal word of God. For as long as this persists Christianity cannot be regarded as a religion particularly more peaceful than Islam- and there really is no way around that.

Incidenally the New Testament is not free of unnaceptable and hateful advice. Col. 3:22 and Titus 2:9 for instance fully endorse slavery.

My point is Teegan, that while Islam is not peaceful and not desirable for a healthy society, nor are the other main religions. What is happening at the moment in this country is paramount to persecution and it is only going to make things worse and make people dig in deeper, rather than be enlightened.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Because the majority of Muslims are no different from their Christian and Jew counterparts- and yet they are currently being demonised in some quarters- many of which have an agenda at work of course.
    ^ I highly disagree.

Can you show me a single ex-Muslim who has openly denounced their faith who hasn't got death threats hanging over their heads?

Salman Rushdie, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ehsan Jami, Maryam Namazie, Taslima Nasrin, Ibn Warraq, Wafa Sultan, Mina Ahadi... I could go on. All of these individuals are living under police protection for the sole reason that they left Islam and questioned/criticised it.

If any of these individuals walked the streets of any Muslim majority country then chances are they will be killed.

They aren't even safe in Western countries. Theo van Gogh was killed in Amsterdam.

On the other hand... ex-Christians (of which there are many) are not being threatened with death and they're walking the streets of Western countries freely.
  • Options
    My point is Teegan, that while Islam is not peaceful and not desirable for a healthy society, nor are the other main religions. What is happening at the moment in this country is paramount to persecution and it is only going to make things worse and make people dig in deeper, rather than be enlightened.

I agree on this.
    but not any more than the other main religions which are accepted by the majority of people as being peaceful.
    And this.

I also don't see any difference in persecuting a group of people for religious reasons, or for political reasons and/or personal belief.

Persecution is human, not religious. Violence is human, not religious.

Religion is just sometimes used as another way to rationalise our own beliefs, prejudice and morals.
  • Options
    Here are some video's from Robert Spencer regarding the IslamIsPeace campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFuJz0hA5rc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfCpCU7gACE

It shouldn't surprise you that Robert Spencer has received numerous death threats too.

The IslamIsPeace campaign says that they want to have 'dialogue' with non-Muslims. This is one of their '5 point plans'. But how the hell can they have dialogue when every non-Muslim or ex-Muslim who questions or criticises Islam is faced with death threats!

Here's some more video's from Robert Spencer that you might want to see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDUp0pqJmvQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fibVhjBcJuA
  • Options
    I also don't see any difference in persecuting a group of people for religious reasons, or for political reasons and/or personal belief.

Who's advocating persecution? And do you see a difference in criticising someone's religious beliefs rather than political beliefs?
  • Options
    ^ I highly disagree.

Can you show me a single ex-Muslim who has openly denounced their faith who hasn't got death threats hanging over their heads?

Salman Rushdie, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ehsan Jami, Maryam Namazie, Taslima Nasrin, Ibn Warraq, Wafa Sultan, Mina Ahadi... I could go on. All of these individuals are living under police protection for the sole reason that they left Islam and questioned/criticised it.

If any of these individuals walked the streets of any Muslim majority country then chances are they will be killed.

They aren't even safe in Western countries. Theo van Gogh was killed in Amsterdam.

On the other hand... ex-Christians (of which there are many) are not being threatened with death and they're walking the streets of Western countries freely.
    It depends though doesn't it. A lot of Muslims in Western countries like the UK are first, second or third generation and it takes a while for beliefs to diffuse. Whilst say, the UK is technically a CoE contry, the religion has been around for so long we have started to secularise.

People have been tortured and killed for rejecting Christianity and/or its values. Just look at Chrisianity's bloody past, the witch trials for example.
  • Options

Persecution is human, not religious. Violence is human, not religious.

Religion is just sometimes used as another way to rationalise our own beliefs, prejudice and morals.
    ^ Then quite frankly you are highly underestimating the influence that Islam and its teachings has on the people who commit these violent attacks in the name of Islam.

It's quite simple, if Muhammad had not said this...

'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.'

Sahih Bukhari
    Volume 4, Book 52, Number 260

... then the death penalty for apostasy would not have been a part of Shariah law and many innocent apostates would've openly denounced their faith without fear of death.
  • Options
    Who's advocating persecution? And do you see a difference in criticising someone's religious beliefs rather than political beliefs?
    Do you think I'm stupid... Seriously?

I'm not accusing anybody of persecution here, prejudice maybe but definately not persecution.

But we are talking about Muslim persecution, whereas I believe it's human and often "justified" by religion, as I stated.
  • Options
    People have been tortured and killed for rejecting Christianity and/or its values. Just look at Chrisianity's bloody past, the witch trials for example.
    ^ But this is not happening to ex-Chrisians today.... and it IS happening to ex-Muslims today all over the world.

Which is precisely why Islam is bring criticised more than Christianity in todays world.
  • Options
    ^ But this is not happening to ex-Chrisians today.... and it IS happening to ex-Muslims today all over the world.

Which is precisely why Islam is bring criticised more than Christianity in todays world.
    Actually it is, there was a campaign with Amnesty for somebody who was persecuted for changing churches a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Actually it is, there was a campaign with Amnesty for somebody who was persecuted for changing churches a couple of years ago.
    I didn't expect you to take my comment so literally when I said that its "not happening to ex-Christians today".

Considering the fact that most ex-Christians openly reject their faith in Western mainly Christian populated countries... I'd say that the persecution of ex-Christians is extremely rare compared to that of ex-Muslims.

Wouldn't you say the same?

Can you name me a single ex-Muslim who has openly denounced Islam who hasn't received death threats?

Baring in mind that openly denouncing Islam is a brave step on its own. I will probably live the rest of my life as a closet ex-Muslim. Thank God for the internet though.
  • Options
    Do you think I'm stupid... Seriously?

I'm not accusing anybody of persecution here, prejudice maybe but definately not persecution.

But we are talking about Muslim persecution, whereas I believe it's human and often "justified" by religion, as I stated.

I thought you were referring to a perceived persecution of muslims in this country, sorry.

But anyway, doesn't your opinion that religion is merely an excuse for violent acts or persecution of others assume that these people don't actually believe what they say they believe with regards to the supernatural and religious justification? Similarly, would the insinuation therefore also be that any good acts committed in the name of religion would also just be attributed to it, rather than it genuinely being the inspiration? And further, would this not therefore prove that religion has absolutely no worth to mankind, because everyone just does what they want anyway?
  • Options
    I thought you were referring to a perceived persecution of muslims in this country, sorry.
    No worries, thought you were being silly.
    But anyway, doesn't your opinion that religion is merely an excuse for violent acts or persecution of others assume that these people don't actually believe what they say they believe with regards to the supernatural and religious justification?
    I didn't say that.

I said that people sometimes use religion as justification for prejudice and human rights abuses ect.

It is not "merely an excuse", but a system of belief which (I believe), as with other systems of belief can be used to bring both happiness and suffering depending on how it's used and by who.
    Similarly, would the insinuation therefore also be that any good acts committed in the name of religion would also just be attributed to it, rather than it genuinely being the inspiration?
    If somebody uses their religion to rationalise why they should (for example) go out and help people on the street... If they use their religion to justify this then why not? I mean a lot of people are genuinely inspired by the concept of a God/s and this can manifest itself in different ways.
    And further, would this not therefore prove that religion has absolutely no worth to mankind, because everyone just does what they want anyway?
    How?
  • Options
    Here's an interesting article that you might like to read:

Why do we ignore the plight of ex-Muslims?
  • Options

Do you have a link for that?

I found several cases, but they're Moslems being sentenced for convering to Christianity (I also found a couple of cases of women being raped in India for convering to Christianity from Hinduism, but haven't referenced them because the source isn't as reliable as I'd like)

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGMDE170051996?open&of=ENG-KWT

and this

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGASA110082006?open&of=ENG-AFG
  • Options
    Do you have a link for that?
    I'll look for you.

It was a part of their Christmas cards campaign a few years back. She deviated from their state religion, so they locked her in a kennel or something. I think I was in sixth form at the time (so maybe 3-4 years old).

Although I may be slightly wrong on the details... I'm pretty sure it was a church thing.
  • Options
    obviously nobody should fear for their lives for whatever they believe or don't believe.
    Its illegal in this country to threaten somebody with violence or death let alone to carry it out whether they are muslim or not. Other than that im not sure what could be done about it.
  • Options
    Incidenally the New Testament is not free of unnaceptable and hateful advice. Col. 3:22 and Titus 2:9 for instance fully endorse slavery.

Those verses dont 'endorse' slavery at all. They do say that (Christian) servants/slaves ought to obey their masters. Why? Because it is by their meekness, humility and love that will draw the non-believer to their witness for Christ.
  • Options
    I find hell quite a violent place. It is the new testament that has resulted in people telling kids that they are going to burn in agony for all eternity (and don't pretend a child understands that it's supposed to be taken metaphorically). That's sicker and has caused more psychological damage than anything that appears in the old testament.

Hell is primarily the seperation of those non-believers from God. But this is irrelevant. I asked where 'hate' and 'violence' is encouraged.
  • Options
    Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

- On slavery

But where is the 'hate' and 'violence'?
  • Options
    Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

1 Peter 3:1 Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.

1 Corinthians 11:3 Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 Let women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church.

- on women's rights.

Romans 1:26-27 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence [sic] of their error which was meet.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

- on homosexuality

But where is the 'hate' and 'violence'?
  • Options
    Sorry if the thread is not going the way you had expected

This thread is turning out far better than I expected it would when I joined in, so no need to be sorry, dear Aladdin. The people who are willing to tell it like it is about Islamic ideology, and the way that manifests itself in the treatment of people in both muslim countries and the west, outnumbers those who try to spread their criticisms with so much multiculturalism that they effectively let Islam off the hook.

That is a hopeful sign.
  • Options
    When the Old Testament stops being printed altogether, dissapears from the Bible and it is officially rejected by the heads of all branches of Christianity I would be more than happy to ignore the incitements to violence and bigotry contained within. At the moment that is not the case, and indeed a minority of Christians take the OT very seriously and as the literal word of God. For as long as this persists Christianity cannot be regarded as a religion particularly more peaceful than Islam- and there really is no way around that.

And my point is that there are no calls by followers of JC to kill anyone in the New Testament and so it cannot be compared to Islam. The fact that there may be intolerant, bigoted 'Christians' out ther is more to do with the nature of mankind then any call by JC to wipe out non-believers.
This discussion has been closed.