Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The "Islam Is Peace" campaign...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    @Aladdin

Baal already posted this link about the subject of honour killings in Jordan

Here is the link about Jordan:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3088828.stm

Again, I am struck by your lack of interest in the subject presented, in favour of a dodgy tu quoque.

So laws about anal sex linger on statute books unenforced, and to the general disinterest of the general populace? How is that comparable to men killing women, while the law turns a blind eye, or gives at most, a slap on the wrist?
    Or a situation where there is such widespread social acceptance of men killing their female relatives for perceived crimes against family honour, that the politicians refuse to reform the law.

And I hope you aren't going to try and tell us that Jordanian people don't get to elect their politicians, because they do. Jordan is about as democratic as you will find in the Middle East, aside from Israel.
  • Options
    cheeta wrote: »
    I have no wish to ban all the kaffirs, especially as I am one. The point I was making there is that whether or not you or I agree that FGM is, or is not, sanctioned by Islam, will make no difference to the female population of Egypt. It will not reduce the practise if you convince me this is against Islam, it will not increase if I convince you it is not. It needs muslims themselves to reject the practise, and especially influential muslims to pronounce it contrary to Islam.

That was why, in the interests of a free debate I posted a link to a debate between two muslims about it. Did you watch it? Or were you too interested in trying to score points off a stranger on the net?

I did watch some of it, but then I got caught up with the chatroom, sorry.

I'm not Muslim or living in egypt so I don't know what you're trying to convince me of.

The whole discussion has gone over my head a bit, I was just pointing out some of the links weren't valid, then I thought you were calling me names which I don't like, but I was probably too hasty in making that judgement. Sorry mate!
  • Options
    No problem Shyboy. I'm a girl, btw, so no need to call me mate. Sweetheart will do.

Anyway you make a valid point, the origins of FGM long pre-date Islam, or any of the other Abrahamic faiths for that matter. As far as we know it originates from Pharoanic Egypt, from whence it spread across the Middle East and Africa.

Valid as that is, it doesn't change the fact that if the practise is ever going to be stamped out the cultural and religious values held by the people who practise it have to be challenged. And its no good us kaffirs, (ie non-muslims), reassuring everybody this has nothing to do with Islam. They will not listen to us. Other muslims need to campaign against it and declare it unIslamic. They will have difficulty, given that hadith where their Prophet okays it, but good luck to the (mostly) women who are trying anyway.

In fact maybe the muslims behind this ad campaign would be better employed that way, instead of signs on London buses telling everybody Islam is Peace. That's not going to change anything, is it?
  • Options
    Or were you too interested in trying to score points off a stranger on the net?

I don't think there's any need for that SHyboy simply posted information from a different source. I'm not sure why you have a problem with that - but if you want a debate you have to accept there's other viewpoints, and it naturally followed yours could be wrong or right. No one is keeping score here.
  • Options
    @Aladdin

Baal already posted this link about the subject of honour killings in Jordan

Here is the link about Jordan:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3088828.stm

Again, I am struck by your lack of interest in the subject presented
    Perhaps because laws being kept in place by the ruling minority have little to do with the muslim community at large.
    So laws about anal sex linger on statute books unenforced, and to the general disinterest of the general populace? How is that comparable to men killing women, while the law turns a blind eye, or gives at most, a slap on the wrist?
    On the gravity of the crime they're not comparable of course. On an instance of a wrong and unfair law that has outlived its social relevance but continues to exist is a very fair comparison.
    And I hope you aren't going to try and tell us that Jordanian people don't get to elect their politicians, because they do. Jordan is about as democratic as you will find in the Middle East, aside from Israel.
    Jordanians get to choose from the pre-approved candidates allowed to stand. Don't go thinking they have much to choose from or opportunity for change. Try to start a new party and see how long you get.
  • Options
    No problem Shyboy. I'm a girl, btw, so no need to call me mate. Sweetheart will do.

Anyway you make a valid point, the origins of FGM long pre-date Islam, or any of the other Abrahamic faiths for that matter. As far as we know it originates from Pharoanic Egypt, from whence it spread across the Middle East and Africa.

Valid as that is, it doesn't change the fact that if the practise is ever going to be stamped out the cultural and religious values held by the people who practise it have to be challenged. And its no good us kaffirs, (ie non-muslims), reassuring everybody this has nothing to do with Islam. They will not listen to us. Other muslims need to campaign against it and declare it unIslamic. They will have difficulty, given that hadith where their Prophet okays it, but good luck to the (mostly) women who are trying anyway.

In fact maybe the muslims behind this ad campaign would be better employed that way, instead of signs on London buses telling everybody Islam is Peace. That's not going to change anything, is it?
    Perhaps as paeceful muslims and British citizens living the UK their main and most urgent concern right now is try to reverse a growing tide of prejudice, distrust and even hatred amongst the general population.

It could be that they are quite worried about the increasing verbal and sometimes physical abuse muslims of both sexes have been subjected to in the last 6 years. If you are worried you're going to have your face kicked in soon I should imagine trying to convince your neighbours and fellow citizens you are not a violent extremist takes priority over seeking reform of Islam- a move that would probably make their situation worse in the short term.

Which is something that some posters here appear to have overlooked. Yes, the campaign might be untrue. But think of what it is trying to achieve, and why it has appeared now.
  • Options
    Perhaps because laws being kept in place by the ruling minority have little to do with the muslim community at large

So is it members of the ruling elite carrying out these honour killings, or members of the muslim community at large?

On the gravity of the crime they're not comparable of course. On an instance of a wrong and unfair law that has outlived its social relevance but continues to exist is a very fair comparison.

You have that the wrong way round. Its not an old law lingering on the statute books, if you read the article on Baal's link you will find it was an opportunity to pass a new law against an horrific practise which retains widespread social relevance, and acceptance. So widespread that the politicians refused to tackle it.
    Jordanians get to choose from the pre-approved candidates allowed to stand. Don't go thinking they have much to choose from or opportunity for change. Try to start a new party and see how long you get.

Yes, I know. And I have to reiterate that sadly, that is still more democratic than the rest of the Middle East, (except Israel).
  • Options
    Yes, I know. And I have to reiterate that sadly, that is still more democratic than the rest of the Middle East, (except Israel).

Oman?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Yes, the campaign might be untrue. But think of what it is trying to achieve, and why it has appeared now.
    ^ The only thing it is trying to achieve is converts to Islam.

It is dishonest Islamic propaganda and anyone who is well-informed on Islam can spot the lies from a mile off and see exactly what their agenda is.

Not once did the condemn any of the Islamic terrorists or any of the Imams around the world issuing inhumane fatwas.

All they're trying to do is present a rosy (dishonest) Islam to the gullible Westerners to hopefully gain more converts.
  • Options
    Oman?

I do apologize to the people of Oman.:razz: Yes, they had their first elections in 2003.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Once again Baal - please provide some link for this - oh and I missed it before - this isn't 'our' Islamic train, it's a discussion about Islam, I doubt very much anyone who has posted follows Islam.
    I can not find any English link about that. I can however list my personal observations while I was in Egypt for 6 month last year.

1. Everyday for several month, on the last page of the 2 major Egyptian newspapers destined to a market of a 70 Million people, there is half a page with colors advertising Haj (pilgrimage) or shopping in Mecca. Every day every day that in people everyday language, they say: "Hope you have a happy haj" instead of "Good Day". That is an extremely expensive marketing campaign.

2. When the Country is starving for hospitals and schools, 25-40 Million US$ are being regularly built with Saudi money.

3. The donations of Saudis to the local egyptian terrorist group "The Islamic Brotherhood" is in the Billions by now.

4. Every year Saudi makes 2 Billion US$ from Egypt alone during Haj. And Egypt is only 6% of the entire islamic Umma. And 2 Billions US$ is insane money. Consider Egypt makes 1 Billion from Oil and metals. 1 Billion from Suez and 2 Billion American Aid that goes to Saudi for Haj.

5. So giving Saudi 2 Billion US$ is the same value as giving Saudi control of the Suez Canal and all the Egyptian Oil. Every year.

6. Haj is considered a strategic income to Saudi.

7. Saudi is just investing a portion of their Haj income for 'Haj Marketing'. Saudis need to make sure the populations are so entrenched into islam. So willing to associate Haj with Paradise that they will ignore every bit of self-preservation and every gut feeling and every attempt by their governments to subdue them and prevent them from squandering their life savings to send their money out of their country (local economies).

8. It is the greed of the Saudi (and who can blame them) that will prompt them to maintain the status quo of islam in the form of a wahabi cult.
  • Options
    I'm not sure where any of that is from, but like you said it's your personal opinion. None seems to have anything to do with what you claimed though - so again what are you basis the claim that for the last decade every Iman in the world has only followed the teachings of the wahabi sect of Islam?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Perhaps because laws being kept in place by the ruling minority have little to do with the muslim community at large.

This is not about anal sex or useless sodomy laws. There is nothing moderate about a country that supports the state-sponsored murder of their women. There is nthing moderate about a country that play their prayer on loud speakers on every single mosque even if it is just a basement converted into a mosque. They start praying at 4-5am. You can have 3-12 mosques in your neighbourhood and they start within minutes of each other. And some have voices worse then others.

So you end up losing sleep because some people want to pray! That is not moderate. That is not a pick-and-choose-your-verse from the koran society.
  • Options
    Every time I've been to my mosque or any Islamic event lately, a huge chunk of the sermons are dedicted to begging money out of everyone.

Promises of 'rewards from Allah' and 'a high place in paradise' are constantly used to get as much money out of us as they can...

... and this money does not go to charity to help/feed the poor. Almost all of the donations go towards building new mosques or Islamic centres.

I don't want to say which town/city I am from, but there is a huge project to build a large Islamic centre under way in my city/town and almost all of the money that is donated in our mosques goes towards the cost of that.
  • Options
    I've got chutch bells next to me that are rung late at night, come on - it really does boogle the mind if you're arguing that a religion is violent because in an Islamic country you get woken up in the morning.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    Every time I've been to my mosque or any Islamic event lately, a huge chunk of the sermons are dedicted to begging money out of everyone.

Promises of 'rewards from Allah' and 'a high place in paradise' are constantly used to get as much money out of us as they can...

... and this money does not go to charity to help/feed the poor. Almost all of the donations go towards building new mosques or Islamic centres.

I don't want to say which town/city I am from, but there is a huge project to build a large Islamic centre under way in my city/town and almost all of the money that is donated in our mosques goes towards the cost of that.

And collections go towards the village church roof, so what? Surely if Islam was so violent it would all be going towards terrorism, not exactly the same thing money for religions has always gone towards - those Cathedrals didn't build themselves and the Vatican ain't exactly full of paupers. Again your just describe the problems of any massive organised religion but dressing it up as something different about Islam.
  • Options
    I'm not sure where any of that is from, but like you said it's your personal opinion. None seems to have anything to do with what you claimed though - so again what are you basis the claim that for the last decade every Iman in the world has only followed the teachings of the wahabi sect of Islam?
    I did not say they follow the Wahabi sect. I said they are being trained with Wahabi books and Wahabi money sitting in Wahabi Madrassas. And I will add, being blessed by the ruler of Mecca, the islamic Vatican.

In Egypt, every Imam has to be blessed/trained in Azhar. And the Azhar teachers have been getting massive Saudi grants and free-haj trips. Pakistan, I do not need to dwell on it, we know the Madrassas are Saudi funded. The Pakistani are even bragging about their Saudi schools.

In fact to the best of my knowledge, Saudi are funding islamic movements and islamic schools in every islamic country with the exception of Iran (Shiia) & Libya & Iraq during Saddam time & the richer Oil princedoms. I would be interested to know which other islamic countries are resisting the Saudi donations.

Khaddaffi might be a nut but he is not stupid. He banned any religious book or CD or Cassette to enter his country unless approved by the state first.
  • Options
    and for those interested in the different sects of Islam (though of course everyone apparently sat down and decided to only follow Wahabism :rolleyes: )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_sects
  • Options
    I've got chutch bells next to me that are rung late at night, come on - it really does boogle the mind if you're arguing that a religion is violent because in an Islamic country you get woken up in the morning.
    ^ He never said that the call to prayer is the reason for Islam being violent.

You just erected a strawman there.

It is a nuisance, but it isn't the reason why Islam is violent. Islam is violent because of the violent teachings of Muhammad who is considered the perfect example for all time.
  • Options
    In the interests of political correctness can we refrain from critising Islam unless it is stated that other religions are equally as bad - if not more so.

ps. I'm mid-way through this thread. Maybe it's sorted it's self out now. :nervous:
  • Options
    Not at all. I am using this example to inform the board that these people follow their religion seriously. They do not pick and choose like Alladin is assuming. It is the religion they are serious about, that is violent but that is a separate issue.
  • Options
    Which as you'll find is definately one side of the discussion here
  • Options
    and for those interested in the different sects of Islam (though of course everyone apparently sat down and decided to only follow Wahabism :rolleyes: )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_sectshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_sects
    ^ Jim V, the subject of "sects" shouldn't even feature in this discussion.

As I mentioned before, there is only ONE Islam, there is only ONE Quran, and there was only ONE Muhammad.

The common denominator of all of these so-called "sects" is the Quran, and teachings of Muhammad, and that is what I am focusing on.
  • Options
    Baal wrote: »
    Not at all. I am using this example to inform the board that these people follow their religion seriously. They do not pick and choose like Alladin is assuming. It is the religion they are serious about, that is violent but that is a separate issue.

Well it's an entirely connected issue - there's absolutely nothing wrong with following what you believe in. You've done nothing to convince me Islam is a violent religion by it's nature - so all I can see from your example is people are pious in that country.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    ^ Jim V, the subject of "sects" shouldn't even feature in this discussion.

As I mentioned before, there is only ONE Islam, there is only ONE Quran, and there was only ONE Muhammad.

The common denominator of all of these so-called "sects" is the Quran, and teachings of Muhammad, and that is what I am focusing on.

Sorry you don't get to decide that/ It's absolutely central to this debate and will feature continually and strongly.
  • Options
    Yes, and those teachings are held in common by all the sects you dig up on Wikipedia, because they are in the Qur'an. Here is a selection..

3:118: “O you who believe! Take not as your helpers or friends those outside your religion since they will not fail to do their best to corrupt you. They desire to harm you severely. Hatred has already appeared from their mouths, but what their breasts conceal is far worse. Indeed We have made plain to you the verses if you understand.”

3:178: “And let not the disbelievers think that Our postponing of their punishment is good for them. We postpone the punishment only so that they may increase in sinfulness. And for them is a disgracing torment.”

5:14: “And from those who call themselves Christians, We took their covenant, but they have abandoned a good part of the Message that was sent to them. So We planted amongst them enmity and hatred till the Day of Resurrection, and Allâh will inform them of what they used to do.”

5:51: “O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as friends, they are but friends to one another. And if any amongst you takes them as friends, then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allâh guides not those people who are the wrong doers.”

5:73: “Surely, disbelievers are those who said: "Allâh is the third of the three (in a Trinity)." But there is no god but Allâh. And if they cease not from what they say, verily, a painful torment will befall the disbelievers among them.”

Qur’an 8:12 “I shall terrorize the infidels. So wound their bodies and incapacitate them because they oppose Allah and His Apostle.”

8:39: “And fight them until there is no more disbelief in Islam and the religion will all be for Allâh Alone...”

Qur’an 8:57 “If you gain mastery over them in battle, inflict such a defeat as would terrorize them, so that they would learn a lesson and be warned.”

Koran 9:5
    "Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolators wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."
  • Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_sectshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_sects
    I am shooting from the hip before even reading this link. The majority of islam, the Sunni at 90% consider those sects non-muslim infidels. They hunt them down in most countries and flush them.

Many of those sect leaders have succumbed and are accepting Saudi money and Saudi books and Saudi approved sermons.
  • Options
    Yeah, we get it now, okay? The Qu'ran has violent passages. Repeatedly posting it doesn't make any difference to what your debating.
  • Options
    Sorry you don't get to decide that/ It's absolutely central to this debate and will feature continually and strongly.
    Let me repeat what I said...

Do you get it now?
  • Options
    I understand what your saying - sadly you have to understand that debate is the comparison of different points of view. You therefore don't get to impose what positions or information is relevant to a debate.

As others have repeatedly stressed - if Islam has different interpretations based upon different sects then those sects are very, very relevant and important.
This discussion has been closed.