Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The "Islam Is Peace" campaign...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim V wrote: »
    You've done nothing to convince me Islam is a violent religion by it's nature -
    ^ You obviously haven't been following much of the discussion then.

The sad fact is that when you do realise that Islam is a violent religion by its nature... your ego will probably prevent you from admitting it on this forum because of your current comments.
  • Options
    Err okay, could you be a bit more patronising please?

You want to convince me of something - convince me. I'm reading everything your posting (god help me I have to)
  • Options
    Yeah, we get it now, okay? The Qu'ran has violent passages. Repeatedly posting it doesn't make any difference to what your debating.

Was that directed at me????????

That was the first time I posted anything from the Qur'an. And you are the one who asks for sources if someone asserts anything as fact. I am asserting that there are violent passages in the Qur'an and giving you the source. What's the problem?
  • Options
    cheeta wrote: »
    Was that directed at me????????

That was the first time I posted anything from the Qur'an. And you are the one who asks for sources if someone asserts anything as fact. I am asserting that there are violent passages in the Qur'an and giving you the source. What's the problem?

Hey, just saying when we've got about 100 quoted passages already, and people are still debating the issue then it doesn't move things forward to post the same things again
  • Options
    Well, if we're talking about violent verses in the Qur'an, I could probably post a hundred more. I won't bother though. Now, lets move on to the different sects. Which of these sects rejects the sword verses in the Qur'an, (of which I just posted a small selection)?
  • Options
    I understand what your saying - sadly you have to understand that debate is the comparison of different points of view. You therefore don't get to impose what positions or information is relevant to a debate.

As others have repeatedly stressed - if Islam has different interpretations based upon different sects then those sects are very, very relevant and important.
    ^ You really aren't understanding at all.

Let me make it clear...

If you insist on talking about "sects", then understand that there isn't a single sect which will go against the teachings of the Quran and Muhammad.

Now seeing as I am basing my whole arguments around the common denominator (ie the Quran and teachings of Muhammad)... the subject of "sects" in this discussion therefore becomes irrelevant.

I'm sorry if you see me as patronising, but I sincerely don't think you are understanding my point.
  • Options
    For example Jim V... can you name me a single 'sect' which doesn't say that the punishment for apostasy is death?

Let me help you out...... there isn't one!

Every major Islamic school of jurisprudence agrees that the punishement for apostasy is death... as preached by Muhammad.
  • Options
    I understand it fine - I just don't agree that practical practice of a religion is irrelevant - so you'll have to agree to disagree with me on that one and sects will remain relevant to the debate.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    For example Jim V... can you name me a single 'sect' which doesn't say that the punishment for apostasy is death?

Let me help you out...... there isn't one!

Every major Islamic school of jurisprudence agrees that the punishement for apostasy is death... as preached by Muhammad.

Universal Sufism

Doesn't matter if something is a major sect or not - we're talking about all possible versions of Islam here.
  • Options
    Let me repeat what I said...

The common denominator of all of these so-called "sects" is the Quran, and teachings of Muhammad, and that is what I am focusing on.

Do you get it now?
    Hey Sanitize. I think Jim has a point.

Islam in its current rigid form is causing problems to people who have to live with muslims.

You have a point that islamic sects are irrelevant since all of them will lead to the same problem. I also reached that conclusion. Jim however did not reach that conclusion yet, and he might decide never to reach it.

As such, I think considering sects is relevant to this conversation.

I will go pick someone up and will not be available for another hour.
  • Options
    Jim, which sect of Islam rejects these teachings about things which are najis, (ie, unclean)?

http://www.al-islam.org/laws/najisthings.html
  • Options
    Err - you're not on a forum about people who want to discuss Islam, just on one thread. If you want to discuss the specifics of sects then that's fine - but your not debating with people who have any great knowledge or interest in Islam - so you can't expect us to find answers for you.

My point isn't to propose myself as an expert on Islam (although thanks for the compliment) - just to propose that practical interpreatation of a religion is relevant. So I'm not going to run through rings for you. I'm just saying I'm not convinced by your arguements and the debate deserves to be as broad as possible.

I'm also unclear cheeta - why does what is clean or unclean in a religion make it a religion of violence?
  • Options
    If you had read that link you would know the answer to that question. You would also know why it is relevant to this discussion.
  • Options
    Baal wrote: »
    You have a point that islamic sects are irrelevant since all of them will lead to the same problem. I also reached that conclusion. Jim however did not reach that conclusion yet, and he might decide never to reach it.

As such, I think considering sects is relevant to this conversation.
    We can talk about sects, but it doesn't change the fact that a true Muslim will aspire to follow the Quran and Muhammad, and if the problem lies with these... then no sect can change that.

Muhammad did say afterall that the ummah will be split into 72 sects... but only the one who is following the Quran and Muhammad will be on the straight path.
  • Options
    We can talk about sects, but it doesn't change the fact that a true Muslim will aspire to follow the Quran and Muhammad, and if the problem lies with these... then no sect can change that.

Muhammad did say afterall that the ummah will be split into 72 sects... but only the one who is following the Quran and Muhammad will be on the straight path.

But again we go back to that term 'true'. Certain sects, either by numbers of history don't get to be 'true' Muslims. Just because someone says that this group is more true than another means they actually are.

You seem to want more openess, more flexability and wider criticism internally in Islam - don't you see that by using the term 'true' to describe, for example fundamentalist Muslims, you reinforce their message - you stengthen their message everytime they say it.

It's exactly the same arguement that has moved through Christian communities for the last 30 years or so - and is exactly why Chrisitian fundamentalists claim to be 'true' Christians - it's exactly how Henry VIII justified religious violence.

There isn't an automatic 'true' Islam - at least in my eyes. There can't be - God doesn't exist. So all there are people claiming to be 'true' Muslims. There's no need to strengthen the positions of fundamentalists by support their claims
  • Options
    just to propose that practical interpreatation of a religion is relevant.
    ^ Would you say the same thing for any other evil ideology?

It is possible to practically interpret Nazism too, and would it be relevant?
  • Options
    ^ Would you say the same thing for any other evil ideology?

It is possible to practically interpret Nazism too, and is it relevant?

We're not going back over this. You can't claim something is evil just because you'd like other people to think it is.

As was stated before to use Nazism as an example is simply a attempt to strengthen your position using something that isn't comparable. A nine year government that invented it's own race religion isn't the on the same level.

The question should be - is it relevant to look at the writings in a holy book and also look at the practical modern application of a religion. That's why people have brought up christianity repeatedly.

It's entirely relevant to bring up the fact that religion exists in a continual mix of society, personal belief, practical application and theological interpretation. By saying a religion is evil you imply that every good of a Muslim is in spite of their faith, every bad act because of it. I just think you have a very narrow view defined by your perspective.

But that doesn't convince me you've got the right perspective and just saying something is evil doesn't make it so.
  • Options
    But again we go back to that term 'true'. Certain sects, either by numbers of history don't get to be 'true' Muslims. Just because someone says that this group is more true than another means they actually are.
    Let me tell you what the term "true" is...

A "true" Muslim is one who follows/agrees with the teachings of the Quran and example set by Muhammad.

That is what a "true" Muslim is.

Now if you show me a sect which believes in something which goes against the Quran and Muhammad, then it won't have a leg to stand on and you cannot consider it to represent Islam.
  • Options
    We're not going back over this. You can't claim something is evil just because you'd like other people to think it is.
    ^ Ok forget about my opinion...

... tell me then how DO we establish whether Islam is evil/intolerant/violent or not?

I will reply to the rest of your post tomorrow.
  • Options
    Before I goto sleep I will post this and we can discuss it tomorrow:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article2767252.ece

From The Times
    October 30, 2007
    Lessons in hate found at leading mosques

Books calling for the beheading of lapsed Muslims, ordering women to remain indoors and forbidding interfaith marriage are being sold inside some of Britain’s leading mosques, according to research seen by The Times.

Some of the fundamentalist works were found at the bookshop in the London Central mosque in Regent’s Park, which is funded by the Saudi regime and is regularly visited by government ministers. Its director, Ahmad al-Dubayan, is also a Saudi diplomat and was among those greeting King Abdullah when he arrived in Britain last night for his official state visit.

Extremist literature, including passages supporting the stoning of adulterers and waging violent jihad, was also found on sale at many other mosques regarded as mainstream institutions.

More than 80 books and pamphlets were collected during a year-long project in which researchers visited 100 mosques across Britain.
    Related Links

* Hardline takeover of British mosques

* Homegrown cleric who loathes the British

* Studies in hate

One book, Fatawa Islamiyah, which urges the execution of apostates, was found in bookshops at Regent’s Park mosque and at the huge East London mosque in Whitechapel. Muhammad Abdul Bari, the secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB), is the chairman of the East London mosque.

The researchers said that they found further controversial works during visits to mosques in Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Oxford and High Wycombe.

The Times has learnt that five of the books that were acquired by researchers had been also found in searches during Scotland Yard antiterrorist investigations since 2001. About half of the books collected were in English – raising questions about the emphasis placed by the Government in combating extremism by training more English-speaking imams. The other publications were in Arabic or Urdu. The report, The Hijacking of British Islam, is published by the conservative Policy Exchange think-tank and was written by Denis MacEoin, a Fellow at Newcastle University and expert on Islamic issues.

The researchers found hardline material at a quarter of the 100 mosques visited during the project.

The report said: “On the one hand, the results were reassuring: in only a minority of institutions – approximately 25 per cent – was radical material found.

“What is more worrying is that these are among the best-funded and most dynamic institutions in Muslim Britain – some of which are held up as mainstream bodies. Many of the institutions featured here have been endowed with official recognition.”

A key theme of the books was a “strident sectarianism” which told Muslims that they should remain separate from other faiths and resist integration. The report stated: “Simply put, these notions demand that the individual Muslim must not merely feel deep affection for and identity with his fellow believers and with all that is authentically Islamic. The individual Muslim must also feel an abhorrence for nonbelievers, hypocrites, heretics, and all that is deemed ‘unIslamic’. The latter category encompasses those Muslims who are judged to practise an insufficiently rigorous form of Islam.” Most books stopped short of calling for violence. But they created a climate of intolerance and contempt for nonMuslims that could be exploited by violent jihadists, the researchers said.

The report called for a radical overhaul of Britain’s relationship with Saudi Arabia, which it argued has a “powerful and malign” influence over British Islam and sponsored the export of fundamentalist Islamic doctrine.

Regent’s Park mosque said that the bookshop on its premises was run by a private company. Yunes Teniaz, of the London Central Mosque Trust, told The Times: “The bookshop is franchised to a separate organisation. These books express their authors’ opinions and not those of the London Central Mosque Trust.”

Inayat Bunglawala, the MCB assistant secretary-general, said: “Bookshops sell a variety of publications and we live in an open, democratic society where it is not illegal to sell books which contain antiWestern views.”

Fundamental views

Extracts from works found on sale in British mosques

“And if he apostatises after that, his head should be chopped off, according to the Hadith: ‘Whoever changes his religion, kill him’.”
    (Fatawa Islamiyah – Islamic Verdicts, volume 5; reported found at the East London mosque and the London Central mosque)

“Whoever takes part in stoning a married adulterer is rewarded for that, and it is not fitting for anyone to abstain from it if a ruling of stoning is issued.”
    (Fatawa Islamiyah – Islamic Verdicts, volume 6; reported found at the East London mosque)

“Some Kinds of Women Who Will Go to Hell
    1. The Grumbler … the woman who complains against her husband every now and then is one of Hell.
    2. The Woman Who Adorns Herself.
    3. The Woman Who Apes Men, Tattoos, Cuts Hair Short and Alters Nature.
    (Women Who Deserve to Go to Hell: East London mosque; Muslim Education Centre, High Wycombe)
  • Options
    Just thought I'd post a survey that will hopefully give a little insight into opinions of (presumably) mainstream muslims in the UK, since Aladdin mentioned the possibility that in muslim countries, the laws are just the reflection of a small minority in power. So I figure this will give a more reflective view on the muslim population as a whole. It was carried out in 2006, by NOP Research for Channel 4, and they claim that it was fully representative of all major age groups, sexes, economic indicators and all that other bollocks, and surveyed 1000 people.

93% of muslims consider their religion important (78% very important).

48% of muslims never attend Mosque (6% on special occassions).

On Britishness:

53% of male muslims refer to Britain as "my country" compared to 45% of women. 55% of over-45s are likely to say "my country" compared to 44% of 18-25s.

42% of muslims over 45 believe "very strongly" that they belong to Britain and Islam. This drops to 30% in 18-24 year olds. Again, women are less likely to feel very strongly that they belong to both (34% compared to 42%).

On Integration:

94% of muslims disagree with the suggestion that muslims ought to keep themselves seperate from non muslims (81% strongly disagreeing with the suggestion).

43% of muslims would want their children to go to muslim schools that follow the national curriculum. But 44% would prefer a popular state school with good results.

36% of muslims would prefer to have muslim neighbours (40% disagree with this statement - I don't know whether this means they would prefer not to have muslim neighbours or they simply don't care, because there was a "don't know" option too). Again, women are more likely to want muslim neighbours, and older muslims are more likely to want muslim neighbours.

On Sharia law:

30% of muslims would prefer to live under Sharia law (54% would prefer British law, with 15% responding "don't know"). Again there is a discrepancy between older and younger muslims. 34% of 18-24s, and just 23% of over 45s would prefer sharia law. Equally, 19% of muslims claim that they would move to a country governed by sharia law if they were able to (70% wouldn't, the rest "don't know").

28% of muslims would like to see Britain as an Islamic state (45% of those who answered yes to the above question). 52% would not like to see Britain as an Islamic state. This is one that's a bit vague though, because you can't be sure if the responses are referring to an ideal world view, or whether they actually think Britain in its present state should be Islamic.

On Freedom of Speech:

78% of British muslims thought the publishers of the Danish cartoons should've been prosecuted.

68% think that Britain should throw out religious leaders who support terrorism.

31% think that free speech should be granted, even if it offend religious groups. 62% disagree with this statement.

Classifications based on the above responses:

29% of those surveyed were referred to by the report as "Staunch Defenders of Islam" - this referred to people who believe that those who insult Islam should be punished, leaders should be thrown out for pro-terror stances, agree with the cartoon publishers being prosecuted, and disagree that people should be able to say whatever they want regardless of offence to religious groups.

9% were identified as "Hardcore Islamists" - this referred to people with an identical opinion as "Staunch Defenders of Islam" but who also believed that leaders shouldn't be thrown out for pro-terror stances. Again, both women and younger muslims are more likely to conform to this position, though only by a couple of percent.

3% of muslims were identified as "Pro Freedom of Speech". This is basically the opposite opinion of "Staunch Defenders of Islam" including rejecting the opinion that leaders should be thrown out for pro-terror stances.

The remaining precentage presumably couldn't be catagorised in this way.

The next section is conspiracy theories about the holocaust, 9/11 and Diana, which I can't be arsed with.

63% of muslims believe that hostility towards muslims has increased since 7/7. 5% believe it has descreased. However, 77% of muslims claim that they have recieved no hostility personally. Of those who have: Verbal abuse 18%, physical abuse 3%, stop and search 3%, and police hostility 2%.

On terrorism:

22% believe that the July 7th bombings were justified by Britains stance on the war on terror. 31% of young muslims agree with this statement.

9% believe that it is acceptable for religious or politcal groups to use violence.

50% of respondents were surprised that the July 7th bombers were British-born muslims.

47% believe that a muslim who doesn't report a fellow muslim planning terrorist attacks is just as responsible as the person carrying out the attacks. 9% believe that the person is not at all to blame.

On Representation:

When asked who represents muslims in Britain, 57% were unable to answer, and 30% were not sure. Of those who did answer: 4% Muslim Council of Britain, 3% The Mosque, 1% Muslim Association of Britain, 1% Islamic Society of Britain.

On Women's Rights:

24% believe there is some truth in the statement that Islam treats women as second class citizens. Women and young people are more likely to agree with this statement.

63% believe that British society treats women with respect. Though second generation muslims are less likely to agree with this statement.

55% believe that wives should always obey their husbands. Men are more likely to agree with this tsatement than women (59% comapred to 51%).

40% believe that all muslim girls should go to girls only schools.

I don't know what all of this proves, but here's the report if anyone would like to read the entire thing. It's a pdf file by the way.

Personally, I would say the worrying thing is that younger muslims seem to be the ones taking a more hardline approach, which doesn't seem to suggest progress to me.
  • Options
    cheeta wrote: »
    So is it members of the ruling elite carrying out these honour killings, or members of the muslim community at large?
    How many members of the muslim community at large are engaging in it?

A friend of mind was mugged recently by somebody wearing an Arsenal replica shirt. Therefore all Arsenal supporters are muggers.

You have that the wrong way round. Its not an old law lingering on the statute books, if you read the article on Baal's link you will find it was an opportunity to pass a new law against an horrific practise which retains widespread social relevance, and acceptance. So widespread that the politicians refused to tackle it.
    I should imagine their reasons to withdraw it are because they themselves are hardline Islamists, not because the practice is so popular and widespread.

Do you have any figures about the extent of the problem? You sure make it sound as if every over house down the street has been witness to an honour killing.

Yes, I know. And I have to reiterate that sadly, that is still more democratic than the rest of the Middle East, (except Israel).
    However it is not still a democracy, and the population of Jordan at large has a very restricted choice. Regardless of whether they would vote for it or not I very much doubt there is such thing as the Lets Get Rid of Honour Killings Party (or the Reform Islam Now party for that matter).
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    A friend of mind was mugged recently by somebody wearing an Arsenal replica shirt. Therefore all Arsenal supporters are muggers.
    ^ Very poor comparison.

Does the Arsenal FC's manifesto or 'holy scripture' mandate the mugging of people like your friend?

And even if it did, would that mean that 'all' Arsenal supporters would necessarily have adhered to it? (even though they should).
  • Options
    ^^ Yawn at this whole thread.
  • Options
    Regarding honour killing, I don't think this is necessarily 'Islamic'.

Some girls are honour killed for merely dating and having boyfriends, even if they haven't had sex with them.

Islam only mandates the death penalty (by stoning) for adulterers... and unmarried people who commit fornication are to be flogged 100 times according to Islam.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    ^^ Yawn at this whole thread.

I know what you mean man, does seem to be going around in ever decreasingly - less interesting - circles

I think unless something happens to actually make it a debate I'm just gonna close it and we can all move on.
  • Options
    There is no reason for you to close this thread Jim V.

It hasn't broken any of the forum rules. Just because some people are having difficulty following the discussion or are 'bored', it doesn't mean you have to close it for everyone else who want to debate and have something to say.
  • Options
    Again we'll see - but the point here is to have a debate - not to provide a public sounding board for another website's perspectives - if no one is interested in taking part in any debate, if no one is interested in the postings then it just becomes spam.

So come on people, if you're reading this and not posting then please do, otherwise it will get closed.
  • Options
    I was attempting to move the debate on with that survey. So instead, I'll pick out the bits that I found most interesting. The main one being that how can anyone claim themselves to be a religious moderate when they believe that you should be prosecuted for insulting a religion? 78% of muslims believe the writers of the Danish cartoons should've been, and just 31% believe that you should legally be able to insult their religion. The people who believe this can never call themselves moderate imo, because they clearly support the removal of freedom of speech that is against their own opinion. Now I know you're going to get a fair number of people like that, but 78% is a huge number. I don't know how it compares to mainstream opinion of other religions, but if anyone claims that a minority of muslims hold this opinion, then they're either badly mistaken, or the survey was an utter cock-up.
  • Options
    How many members of the muslim community at large are engaging in it?
    Your claim that only the "ruling elite" are engaging in honor murder. That is of course bogus since the king and his wife are opposed to this travesty.
    I should imagine their reasons to withdraw it are because they themselves are hardline Islamists, not because the practice is so popular and widespread.

Do you have any figures about the extent of the problem? You sure make it sound as if every over house down the street has been witness to an honour killing.
    I don't know. Ask your Jordanian non-koran following friends. Third of the murders are for honor killing where the average sentence is 7.5 month.
    However it is not still a democracy, and the population of Jordan at large has a very restricted choice. Regardless of whether they would vote for it or not I very much doubt there is such thing as the Lets Get Rid of Honour Killings Party (or the Reform Islam Now party for that matter).
    I said Jordan is one of the more enlightened i don't know if someone else said it is a democracy. You have the King. You have the tribes & clans. Every clan elects a member that will represent it and then voting will happen. Some can call it Tribal Democracy, if you consider each tribe like a 'riding', when multiple tribes come together to rule themselves. They represent the wishes of their tribes and their tribes can remove them if they mess things up.
This discussion has been closed.