Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Scottish independence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not an expert of British politics but as far as I know political forces in Scotland wants a Scotland that's not in GB at all.
Do you agree with this? IF so, why or why not?

One point I've noticed is control of vast oil resources on the Scottish continental shelf.

Comments

• Options
    Fuck em, I say.

If they want to be independent (which i doubt the majority of Scots do want) let them.

They will so realise that selling haggis and whiskey only pay for so many prescriptions and tuition fees.

Scotland is better off with Britain than without.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I don't want it and I don't know any folk who do.

The SNP got in because they weren't Labour and now Alex Salmond has gone bat shit insane.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    They will so realise that selling haggis and whiskey only pay for so many prescriptions and tuition fees.

And we'll run out of bowler hats, stiff upper lips and the perverse love for a game as stupid as cricket that we important from south of the border.
  • Options
    I dont think the EUs structural funds would quite cover their current standard of living.
  • Options
    Unless they plan to float off it will still be part of Great Britain, though they may leave the United Kingdom.

That said recent polls suggest that support's going down.
  • Options
    Wasn't there a vote on this not that long ago? And they voted to stay in the UK? The countries are better off together than apart imo, for everyone.
  • Options
    I say no, because they're a conquered territory :p.

But in all seriousness (although, I hate saying that phrase, because it's overused) - it would do more harm than good to both scotland and the rset of GB if they were a seperate nation than having the mutual benefits they enjoy atm.

I think if british parliament followed some of the scottish directives it would be a step forward though :), I think it's embarresing that GB trails behind scotland and ireland with things such as tuition fees and smoking policies.

Though I couldn't move to scotland, I'd be terrified of getting stabbed because they're all, as one person put it, 'hard fuckers'.

P.s. please replace all refs. to GB with UK, just realised they're not the same :p

(note: - Great Britain is the geographical area, United Kingdom is the political association of nations)
  • Options
    How would they survive? They certainly wouldn't get access to the oil, that's for sure.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    (note: - Great Britain is the geographical area, United Kingdom is the political association of nations)

Thank you!! I never knew the difference and always got confused. That makes a lot of sense now.

About Scottish independence, have a vote, the majority wins. If anyone doesn't like it, move!
  • Options
    Would that sort of vote not need a bit more than 51% to go through. I mean it's not like a government that can be changed again in 4 years. Once they're out, that's it. Surely you'd expect at least a 2/3 majority for something like that?
  • Options
    Would that sort of vote not need a bit more than 51% to go through. I mean it's not like a government that can be changed again in 4 years. Once they're out, that's it. Surely you'd expect at least a 2/3 majority for something like that?

Personally i'd go for 60%, but with there also needing to be a turnout of 70% or the vote's void.

If between 50 and 60% voted for independence, I'd hold off, but committ to another vote in 5 years. If its below 50% I'd only commit to another vote when there's strong evidence the majority want it.
  • Options
    But again to my point in my first post - do they have a right to independence from the UK? I mean, if the county of Leicestershire voted we want to be independent - is it going to happen?
  • Options
    But again to my point in my first post - do they have a right to independence from the UK? I mean, if the county of Leicestershire voted we want to be independent - is it going to happen?

I think so. Isn't Scotland considered as a nation itself?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    How would they survive? They certainly wouldn't get access to the oil, that's for sure.

How does the Republic of Ireland survive? No oil or reserves of any valuable minerals yet the 4th highest GDP per capita in the world.

All countries in the UK should be independent.
  • Options

AFAIK it's 55%.
  • Options
    I mean, if the county of Leicestershire voted we want to be independent - is it going to happen?

Independent from what? It's not a country.
  • Options
    Yeah, but if the entire county decided that they no longer wanted to be part of the UK and wanted to run their own affairs as thier own country, why shouldn't they have just as much right to vote for that as Scotland does?
  • Options
    Yeah, but if the entire county decided that they no longer wanted to be part of the UK and wanted to run their own affairs as thier own country, why shouldn't they have just as much right to vote for that as Scotland does?

Where's the historical and cultural differences between Leicestershire and the rest of England? There isn't. There is in Cornwall and I know there is a Nationalist movement there too.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Where's the historical and cultural differences between Leicestershire and the rest of England? There isn't. There is in Cornwall and I know there is a Nationalist movement there too.

Why does that matter whatsoever. It's a democratic election, the people vote to be independent. Your opinion on whether there's a cultural difference isn't relevant. And I could equally say that Scotland doesn't have it's own culture. You can't argue against it because it's an opinion and neither position is possible to prove.

But having said that, there are plenty of areas of Britain with their own culture, just as much as Scotland. Unless you're claiming that the culture of Lancashire is the same as Surrey? Or that Merseyside doesn't have a unique musical scene? Or that Madchester wasn't unique to Manchester? Or a million other things that make areas unique. Okay then, there is a clear difference between North and South England, so should we be allowed to split if people voted for it? And then there is a huge historical rivalry between Lancashire and Yorkshire, so presumably they'd be allowed to split down further still?
  • Options
    And I could equally say that Scotland doesn't have it's own culture. You can't argue against it because it's an opinion and neither position is possible to prove.

Really, so Scotland doesn't have a unique language, dress, dance, musical culture than England? Ever hear a Scots Gaelic person talk? Talking shite mate.
    But having said that, there are plenty of areas of Britain with their own culture, just as much as Scotland. Unless you're claiming that the culture of Lancashire is the same as Surrey? Or that Merseyside doesn't have a unique musical scene? Or that Madchester wasn't unique to Manchester? Or a million other things that make areas unique. Okay then, there is a clear difference between North and South England, so should we be allowed to split if people voted for it? And then there is a huge historical rivalry between Lancashire and Yorkshire, so presumably they'd be allowed to split down further still?

So where is the historical background to these places having been independent, then being invaded? Any evidence?
  • Options

It was just a throwaway example anyway, since I live in Leicestershire :p.

And actually the town of Leicester is quite culturally different now, it's a mini-India. No tuc tucs yet though :(

I was just wondering whether Scotland taking a vote for independence is legitimate. According to the oh so faithful source wikipedia:
    Scotland remains a constituent member country of the United Kingdom and the Parliament may not pass laws to change this, even though the Scottish Parliament is now led by the Scottish Nationalist Party (without an absolute majority).

Every area was once part of a smaller kingdom, and sometimes they do want independence but should a vote automatically give that? I mean in England we had Mercia, Kent, Northumbria, East Anglia and all sorts.

I think it would have the b the parliament in Westminster who decided whether Scotland should be afforded independence in the current state of things, a referendum would just be an official poll as far as I'm aware.
  • Options
    Every area was once part of a smaller kingdom, and sometimes they do want independence but should a vote automatically give that? I mean in England we had Mercia, Kent, Northumbria, East Anglia and all sorts.

Those were kingdoms back in the time of the Danish rulers, pre-1066. Do you know anybody who wishes to return to these times? England is actually one of the oldest countries in the world.
  • Options
    Really, so Scotland doesn't have a unique language, dress, dance, musical culture than England? Ever hear a Scots Gaelic person talk? Talking shite mate.
    About as different as Northern England to Southern England. There's way more shared culture that differences between the countries. What level of uniqueness does it have to be on your scale before people have a right to their own country? How about the Basque country in Spain and France? Monaco? San Marino? Would you deny a group of people the right to their own country, even if 90% wanted it, on the basis that they don't have their own language or national dance? Culture's abstract at the best of times.
    So where is the historical background to these places having been independent, then being invaded? Any evidence?
    Everywhere was independent and seperate once. How far back do you want me to go?
  • Options
    Those were kingdoms back in the time of the Danish rulers, pre-1066. Do you know anybody who wishes to return to these times? England is actually one of the oldest countries in the world.

But if they did, I assume they'd have your full support? After all, they'd have a historical precident for it.
  • Options
    But if they did, I assume they'd have your full support?

Sure but do they have the numbers?
  • Options
    Sure but do they have the numbers?

I wouldn't guess so, but then it was always a hypothetical. Just trying to get your criterea for who should be allowed independence.
  • Options
    About as different as Northern England to Southern England.

Really? I find that hard to believe. You trying to say the differences between North and South England are the same as the differences between Scotland and England, try saying that to a Scottish person, or an English person for that matter.
    There's way more shared culture that differences between the countries. What level of uniqueness does it have to be on your scale before people have a right to their own country?

Historical claim to land. Cultures develop through isolation, to develop a uniqueness that separates themselves from others. Hence language, tradition, music, dress, dance etc etc. It's evident in Scotland, it's evident in Wales, it's evident in Ireland and it's even evident in Cornwall.
    How about the Basque country in Spain and France? Monaco? San Marino? Would you deny a group of people the right to their own country, even if 90% wanted it, on the basis that they don't have their own language or national dance? Culture's abstract at the best of times.

Oh dear. :(
    Everywhere was independent and seperate once. How far back do you want me to go?

As far as there's still a desire among the people to be independent.
  • Options
    As far as there's still a desire among the people to be independent.

Exactly. So basically, anyone from anywhere can make a claim that they were once independent (could be 10,000 years ago), and you would support it. So all this bullshit about culture isn't relevant whatsoever, because the will of the people is all that matters. It's like trying to get people to prove that their's is a "real" religion. It's as real as anything else someone might believe in.
  • Options
    Exactly. So basically, anyone from anywhere can make a claim that they were once independent (could be 10,000 years ago), and you would support it. So all this bullshit about culture isn't relevant whatsoever, because the will of the people is all that matters. It's like trying to get people to prove that their's is a "real" religion. It's as real as anything else someone might believe in.

But you need a cultural claim to it as well, there's no point wanting to go back to the days of Mercia and whatever if there's no one there who practices the culture. The Scottish culture is still alive and well today, therefore they have a viable claim to independence.
  • Options
    But you need a cultural claim to it as well, there's no point wanting to go back to the days of Mercia and whatever if there's no one there who practices the culture. The Scottish culture is still alive and well today, therefore they have a viable claim to independence.

As I've said though, is it legitimate?