Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Queen may be scrapped from UK passports...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...as part of the European Union's incessant drive towards unitary super-statehood:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/09/nqueen109.xml

Our EU overlords did see it fit to allow us to keep using imperial measures mind. Who says they're a culture wrecking bunch of tossers.

Comments

• Options
    So? I didnt even know there was such a thing in my passport. Its not as if we need express permission from the monarchy to leave the country anyway.
  • Options
    Great. Next job, get rid of the Queen and all the other unelected tossers that have the right to rule the country.
  • Options
    Does it make any difference what so ever if she is on it or not? I doubt it is the power of the Queen which prevents customs from anal probing us every time we leave the country.
  • Options
    Your passport isn't to leave the country, it's to show other countries to let you in.

Mind you changing the wording is bloody stupid and serves no real purpose apart from making us good little European clones. I'm a subject of the HM The Queen - I am not a citizen of the EU (OK I am, but I don't want to be)
  • Options
    I'm sorry, you guys are right. The gradual destruction of your country's national identity, to be supplanted by an artificial identity isn't a big deal at all. Carry on your normal business.
  • Options
    So fuck, the queen is an ugly rotten cunt anyway.
  • Options
    Well it's about bloody time, most other countries killed off their royal families years ago.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    I'm sorry, you guys are right. The gradual destruction of your country's national identity, to be supplanted by an artificial identity isn't a big deal at all. Carry on your normal business.

The Queen is no part of my national identity.
  • Options
    Well i dont think the whole having the queen in the passports serves any great purpose, but its there and thats what it is, changing it is just the EU trying to ram their fingers down our throats even further.

When will we get too sick of it
  • Options
    Yeah, changing it serves no purpose and presumably will cost money, so what's the point? Can't stand all this bullshit "stealing our national identity" bullshit though. Though I love to see the reaction of people who love the queen when they realise that most other people honestly couldn't give a shit.
  • Options
    Europe'll be coming for our tea, scones and smog next!
  • Options
    Though I love to see the reaction of people who love the queen when they realise that most other people honestly couldn't give a shit.

presumably the same reaction as the Republicans when they realise they're even less popular.

http://www.newstatesman.com/200204290016
    YouGov's figures dispel any notion that the younger generation wants to turn Britain into a republic. The New Statesman poll was conducted following the death of the Queen Mother. Both the general and the young people's surveys produced much the same figures: just over half think Prince Charles should succeed the Queen when she dies or abdicates, one in five thinks the crown should skip a generation and pass to Prince William, and fewer than one in four think Britain should scrap the monarchy altogether and elect its head of state instead
  • Options
  • Options
    presumably the same reaction as the Republicans when they realise they're even less popular.

http://www.newstatesman.com/200204290016

No not the same reaction. One reaction is to come up with a genuine argument about the effects of allowing unelected people to have power, and the other revolves around rhetoric about national identity and other bullshit ideas that don't really mean anything, without (based on the arguments I've heard) any concrete arguments for their existance (read a bit of Chomsky for a more detailed argument about bullshit sayings that don't mean anything like "do you support the troops?" which really means "do you support our policy?" but results in idiots being sucked into it based on national pride). I'd rather an elected European government have a say in our affairs than an unelected British government. But to be honest, I think the Lords is a far more important issue, because as pointless as the queen is, at least she doesn't actually make any day-to-day decisions. Plus to be fair, might as well let her finish her term.
  • Options
    Without going into the Chomsky argument about bullshit sayings (and he's wrong in that its perfectly possible to support the troops without supporting the political purpose to which they're currently being used) from my side the bullshit argument is the one about 'unelected' leaders, because as you point out she has no real power and is symbolic. In which case arguments about national identity and tradition seem perfectly relevant.

People are not islands - they belong to wider societies than just their family or local community. These wider societies (or countries as you will) have history, tradition and common cultures and most people (to a greater or lesser extent) feel a sense of belonging and allegiance to these societies. When these societies fracture and there become large groups who no longer feel a sense of belonging or allegiance bloody violence is often let loose (and I've seen this first hand).

Now I'm not saying that getting rid of the monarchy will lead to civil war, but reducing the ties that bind us without a viable alternative (and the EU is not a viable alternative) may not, in the longer term, be a clever move.
  • Options
    Without going into the Chomsky argument about bullshit sayings (and he's wrong in that its perfectly possible to support the troops without supporting the political purpose to which they're currently being used) from my side the bullshit argument is the one about 'unelected' leaders, because as you point out she has no real power and is symbolic. In which case arguments about national identity and tradition seem perfectly relevant.
    The point isn't whether it's possible to support the troops but not the war, it's the use of such a point in a debate or political speech as part of your propaganda. "I support the troops" means absolutely fuck all, other than a piece of rhetoric for people who support the war (accusing someone of being "against our troops" being a typical pro-war statement). Just like saying getting rid of the monarchy will "remove our national identity." It is a factully baseless statement that prevents you from having to defend your policy. Although like I said, I think the unelected officials who do use their power are a far greater concern than the queen.
    People are not islands - they belong to wider societies than just their family or local community. These wider societies (or countries as you will) have history, tradition and common cultures and most people (to a greater or lesser extent) feel a sense of belonging and allegiance to these societies. When these societies fracture and there become large groups who no longer feel a sense of belonging or allegiance bloody violence is often let loose (and I've seen this first hand).
    And yet the worst violence in history has always been a result of people feeling united under one common cause. Hitler, Stalin, Mao, the Japanese Emperor in WW2. The only thing that compares is the numerous civil wars in Africa.
    Now I'm not saying that getting rid of the monarchy will lead to civil war, but reducing the ties that bind us without a viable alternative (and the EU is not a viable alternative) may not, in the longer term, be a clever move.
    Removing the monarchy will do fuck all, except free up a bit of cash. Many of the most patriotic nations have no monarchy. I think history has proven the dangers of having unelected leaders who's shit does stink, far more than it has proved the opposite.
  • Options
    The great Simon Heffer says he's actually proud to be a 'subject' :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/09/12/do1201.xml

That article is so surreal and unintentionally funny it has to be made up :D

On to a couple of things said here...
    Runnymede wrote:
    The gradual destruction of your country's national identity, to be supplanted by an artificial identity
    If you think Britain's identity resides on what it says on a passport (or the currency you use for that matter, an argument which is often use by those against the euro) then Britain must be a very culturally and historically poor nation indeed.
    Without going into the Chomsky argument about bullshit sayings (and he's wrong in that its perfectly possible to support the troops without supporting the political purpose to which they're currently being used)
    What makes you think he's wrong? Perhaps your definition of support is different from mine but I support the British troops: I want them to come out of there alive and don't wish them any ill whatsoever. I however don't support the nauseating war and illegal occupation of a sovereign nation they have been ordered to parttake by the government.

In fact, in the case of Iraq you could say that the only people who actually support the troops, be British or American, are those who oppose the war and wish for them to return immediately. And that it is those who were in favour of sending perfectly decent human beings to commit crimes on their behalf and get killed simply to further certain economic and geopolitical interests who are the ones not supporting the troops in any way concievable, other than to cheer from the comfort of their armchairs when they see images of another hellfire missile hitting its target.
  • Options
    I've gotta say I couldn't care less whether we have a Queen or not. I've never been patriotic, but I know a lot of people are. Meh.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    f you think Britain's identity resides on what it says on a passport (or the currency you use for that matter, an argument which is often use by those against the euro) then Britain must be a very culturally and historically poor nation indeed.

No I don't think all of British identity resides in a passport or the currency we use. Obviously. But they are part of it. The process is cumulative. That's why I mentioned imperial measurements and wrote 'gradual destruction' and 'incessant drive'.
    I think history has proven the dangers of having unelected leaders who's shit does stink, far more than it has proved the opposite.

You do realise that the European Commission, the lot who think up pointless things like this, aren't elected right?
  • Options
    You do realise that the European Commission, the lot who think up pointless things like this, aren't elected right?

They can only initiate legislation, they can't pass it. That goes through the Parliament which is elected.

There's also the argument that as each member of the Commission is a representative of the elected government, then you sort of are voting for them already.
  • Options
    You do know that the European Commission, the lot who think up pointless things like this, aren't elected right?

They're appointed by each member state, in the same way that all of the top civil servants are in this country. Don't like their selection, then vote the government out for someone who will replace them with someone else. That's not the same as lifelong power by appointment, by religion, by donation or the worst of the lot, by accident of birth. It's certainly another method of selection up for debate, (as is the selection of top civil servents and judges while we're at it), but it's incomparible with something like the Lords which is power for life with zero public accountability.
  • Options
    No I don't think all of British identity resides in a passport or the currency we use. Obviously. But they are part of it. The process is cumulative. That's why I mentioned imperial measurements and wrote 'gradual destruction' and 'incessant drive'.
    Maybe you take things a tad too seriously. Every country makes concessions, believe it or not. Other European countries would be required to make changes to their passports. Many have already ditched their national currency and their borders as well. And guess what: nobody there (other than perhaps the minority right wing parties) are crying about about their national identity and sovereignty being lost and destroyed.

So why is that? Are the citizens of nation in Europe other than Britain stupid or blind to the destruction of their nations' identity? Is that they actually don't care about it? Or could it just be that sections of the British population are paranoid and making a bit deal out of nothing?
  • Options
    Perhaps, Aladdin part of our "national identity" is in being a free island state ruled solely by UK citizens elected by UK citizen.

Is there something wrong with that?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    So? I didnt even know there was such a thing in my passport. Its not as if we need express permission from the monarchy to leave the country anyway.

That isn't what that passage says though,, is it?

It's about HM Govt holding other Govts to "account for your safety etc whilst you are a guest in their country. It's effectively saying that you are under the protection of HM Govt and that they expect your hosts to treat you in a "decent" manner.

The EU cannot afford you the same protection because they have no way of backing that assertion up.

Anyone who thinks that this isn't another step in the relentless and incessant undemocratic shift towards a European federal state is deluding themselves.

Let's look at the "suggestions" coming out of the commission (and please correct me on innaccuracy:

1. EU Defence Force
    2. EU Foregin Policy
    3. EU member of UN
    4. EU passport
    5. No borders between EU states
    6. EU currency
    7. EU bank
    8. Increased EU governance over national laws...

How can that not sound like a shift towards federalism and away from nation states? And at what point have the UK citizens voted for any of these shifts?
  • Options
    And yet the worst violence in history has always been a result of people feeling united under one common cause. Hitler, Stalin, Mao, the Japanese Emperor in WW2. The only thing that compares is the numerous civil wars in Africa...

English Civil War killed more of the population as a proportion of England and Scotland than any other war. The bloodiest war in history (in terms of population engaged) was the Taiping rebellion (about half the Chinese population dead). In modern terms civil war, rebellion and unrest has been much more common and deadly than wars between states, eg Rwanda, Congo, fall of Yugoslavia and even minor 'wars' such as Northern Ireland. Even the rise of Mao was caused by a breakdown of an established social order which had previously been characterised by the Emperor.

Removing the monarchy will do fuck all, except free up a bit of cash.

About 63p per person per year if I remember.
    Many of the most patriotic nations have no monarchy.

And what's that got to do with anything? My point isn't that every country needs amonarch, but that every country needs some sort of national identity and in the UK the monarchy is part of ours.
    I think history has proven the dangers of having unelected leaders who's shit does stink, far more than it has proved the opposite

Great I agree dictatorships are bad, though history never prooves anything except we don't learn from it. However, the monarchy is not a 'leader' anymore - its a symbolic figurehead and I think history also suggests that when enough people cease to feel allegiance to the county and countrymen nasty things often result.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    What makes you think he's wrong? Perhaps your definition of support is different from mine but I support the British troops: I want them to come out of there alive and don't wish them any ill whatsoever. I however don't support the nauseating war and illegal occupation of a sovereign nation they have been ordered to parttake by the government.

In fact, in the case of Iraq you could say that the only people who actually support the troops, be British or American, are those who oppose the war and wish for them to return immediately. And that it is those who were in favour of sending perfectly decent human beings to commit crimes on their behalf and get killed simply to further certain economic and geopolitical interests who are the ones not supporting the troops in any way concievable, other than to cheer from the comfort of their armchairs when they see images of another hellfire missile hitting its target.

You seem to agree with me - supporting the troops is perfectly possible without supporting the political purposes for which they're used
  • Options
    About 63p per person per year if I remember.

.. and the impression given in the question is that a President would be free...
  • Options
    Some of those proposals are not replacements of national equivalents but designed to work alongside.

Funny how many cry foul, for instance, about the possibility of an EU defence force while having no complaints about NATO. In fact, it usually turns out that the most vocal critics of the EU proposals are actually ardent supporters of NATO and indeed of other alliances and subjugations that undermine the sovereignty and independence of the UK in far greater measure than the EU could possibly achieve.

As for the other measures, most of them make sense to me, I don't see those that don't as an attempt to create a federal superstate and destroy national sovereignty. You might agree or disagree about the wisdom of having a European Central Bank (though the way things are starting to turn out, it is not such a daft move at all) but rather than a masterplan to create a federal state I see an attempt to streamline and simplify financial transactions and trade amongst a club of nations.
  • Options
    1. EU Defence Force
    5. No borders between EU states
    6. EU currency
    7. EU bank

The EU has a small army force, though nation state's are not obliged to pledge troops.

Technically there are no borders between nation states.

Euro.

Already have a bank, the ECB.
  • Options
    .. and the impression given in the question is that a President would be free...

Hmm, security, transport and everything else for the entire royal family plus the Prime Minister, or the same costs for one person. The maths does itself.