Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Moment of silence and thoughts please

In a matter of hours there is going to be an anniversary, please lets all remember what happened, and remember those who are no longer with us.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :(
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well what do ya know, only took 6 years of mourning for it not to be all over the news sites.

    R.I.P.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I have noticed that it hasn't been plastered all over the news for days in advance.
    Still, I don't think it will ever be forgotten.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When/Was the minute silence if one was being held?

    Channel 4 have been showing loads about it lately, as always.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are some programmes on about it this week.

    I don't think a minutes silence is particularly relavant.

    Six years, wow. So much has changed since then.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And remember all those who have been killed on the road this week, our servicemen and women and civilians who have been killed in 'wars' since then, and all those who die due to their living conditions in Africa.

    Sadly all these stories are usually out of the news 5 minutes after they happen, if they ever make it there in the first place.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And remember all those who have been killed on the road this week, our servicemen and women and civilians who have been killed in 'wars' since then, and all those who die due to their living conditions in Africa.

    Sadly all these stories are usually out of the news 5 minutes after they happen, if they ever make it there in the first place.

    Thats the way of things though isnt it, routine deaths (roads, heart attacks) get no coverage - and deaths of people who dont matter much (poor, from other countries, black) get even less coverage. Its the same reason that lots of money is spent on AIDS and not much on Maleria, white rich people die of AIDS and only poor black people die of Maleria. Tragic but thats the way it is.

    Lets face it, 11th of September got big coverage because it was a big visual event which is exactly what it was planned to be.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Horrifies me to imagine that many of them had to choose between being burnt alive and falling to their deaths.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Or both.

    There were a few 9/11 themed programmes and documentaries on the tv last night, but for what i can only imagine being a wonderful piece of luck, not too much on the actual day.

    Interesting to see that this is the first time they have not had the memorial right on the ground zero site, as there is currently construction work in progress.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Horrifies me to imagine that many of them had to choose between being burnt alive and falling to their deaths.

    Choice?

    Any sane person would jump out the window.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    squeal wrote: »

    Channel 4 have been showing loads about it lately, as always.


    Yeah i know, i've watched a few documentrys
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well if the madeline thing wasn't in the news atm then it would probably be getting alot more coverage. I think it's important to remember but going over it again and again is giving the terrorists what they wanted.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Does anyone know if, before or after, has a single attack killed more people?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does anyone know if, before or after, has a single attack killed more people?

    80,000 people were killed when the city of Hiroshima was hit by a bomb. A further 100,000 were crushed from the impact of waves and buildings.

    Is that more than 9/11?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep, but the firebombing of Tokyo actually killed more civilians than the A-bombs. I think the carpet bombing of Dresden did too. People only focus on the a-bombs because of the technology. As far as deaths go, they weren't the worst (and there were plenty of attacks that arguably targetted civilian targets).
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Several. Just not in "peacetime"
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep, but the firebombing of Tokyo actually killed more civilians than the A-bombs. I think the carpet bombing of Dresden did too. People only focus on the a-bombs because of the technology. As far as deaths go, they weren't the worst (and there were plenty of attacks that arguably targetted civilian targets).

    Tokoyo probably about 100,000 dead, Dresden about 30,000 and Hamburg about the same.

    Also Wilhelm Gustloff sunk by the Soviets in 1945 - with about 9,500 dead.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote: »
    Thats the way of things though isnt it, routine deaths (roads, heart attacks) get no coverage - and deaths of people who dont matter much (poor, from other countries, black) get even less coverage. Its the same reason that lots of money is spent on AIDS and not much on Maleria, white rich people die of AIDS and only poor black people die of Maleria. Tragic but thats the way it is.

    Lets face it, 11th of September got big coverage because it was a big visual event which is exactly what it was planned to be.

    The slight hole in your argument being that most (63% according to http://www.avert.org/worldstats.htm) AIDS sufferers are living in Africa.

    I hate the way people always try to turn things into a political point about the unfairness of the world etc. etc.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The point is that white people do suffer with and die from AIDs, whereas the number of rich white people contracting Malaria is insignificant.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    The point is that white people do suffer with and die from AIDs, whereas the number of rich white people contracting Malaria is insignificant.

    Yeah. Now it is
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MrG wrote: »
    In a matter of hours there is going to be an anniversary, please lets all remember what happened, and remember those who are no longer with us.
    Yes, please. And also let's remember all those who were tortured, those who were exiled, and those who disappeared and whose bodies haven't been found to this day, and their families.


    /Not only did the US take the name of our continent for themselves, but they have also snatched our anniversary date. :grump:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A716591
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i really do wonder how things maybe have been if it had never happened...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    /Not only did the US take the name of our continent for themselves, but they have also snatched our anniversary date. :grump:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A716591

    Fucking hell - I've heard of the US getting blamed for things, but blaming them for getting attacked on the 11th September is a new one on me :shocking:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fucking hell - I've heard of the US getting blamed for things, but blaming them for getting attacked on the 11th September is a new one on me :shocking:

    I think its got something to do with being full of themselves, or something like that.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's a joke!

    Of course it's not their fault they got attacked, fss.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Not unless the government commanded the attack, as some conspiracy theories are. :p
    But still, it's not the fault of anyone who got killed even if that happened.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    The slight hole in your argument being that most (63% according to http://www.avert.org/worldstats.htm) AIDS sufferers are living in Africa.

    I hate the way people always try to turn things into a political point about the unfairness of the world etc. etc.

    Which is precisely my point, there is a significant number of non-poor non-Africans with AIDS, I'd be very surprised if the figure for Maleria was anything like 63% its going to be much closer to 100%.

    And I wasn't really trying to make any political point as such, I was just pointing how some deaths are important and others not.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote: »
    And I wasn't really trying to make any political point as such, I was just pointing how some deaths are important and others not.

    Like the Congo conflict, which had World War levels of deaths, yet is hardly ever mentioned because it was only poor Africans dieing.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Like the Congo conflict, which had World War levels of deaths, yet is hardly ever mentioned because it was only poor Africans dieing.

    I just thought to double check that, it seems to have significantly less than world war ii. - congo 3.8 million, ww2 72.1 million.

    But then again, spanish influenza had a similar amount of deaths to ww2 and there's no remembrance day for victims of flu.

    But, without meaning to sound ignorant or racist - we live in the UK and whilst few WW2 veterans remain, the fact is we were directly involved in that conflict - a conflict that was fought for the liberty of our country. Just like in America they still have an independence day where less people (probably) suffered than those who die from tuberculosis.

    The World Trade center attacks are remembered because of an orchestrated attack on a "free" country that was at peace, that caused a lot of death and suffering. It's the horrific thought of people going to work on an ordinary day - and losing their lives in a conflict they didn't realise was going on.

    Yes, we identify much more with the WTC attack because we live in a remarkably similar society to America. It's normal and a part of human nature - I doubt those who are radicalised in Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan are remembering the WTC bombings, but remember the events we don't pay as much attention to.

    What I object to is the insinuation that this is down to anything other than natural empathy - that we are naturally prejudiced against those 'who have a different colour skin', because we're not holding up candles for rememberance in hiroshima or whatever.

    Money on medicine is spent according to where the most returns are - with western governments being much richer, they will target infections and diseases that affect the population in western governments.

    I think we should feel guilty not about this fiscal reality (that big corporations don't give things away for nothing), but that through exploitation and ill advised lending, western governments have perpetuated third world debt which means the governments (which, are often corrupt and spend the little money they do have on palaces or things to appease the dictator of the day) are unable to afford these medicines.

    The UK already gives aid to these countries to try to help, but at the end of the day it comes down to money.
Sign In or Register to comment.