Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Garden Leave - Legal standpoint

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had a quick look through search and elsewhere but have a couple of questions.

Basically my entire department have been advised that we are officially on gardening leave until the end of September with a view to possible redundancy if we don't want to re-locate to Rochdale (as the customer service calls will be dealt with there from now on)

We've been advised that we will be called in for consultancy meetings in a couple of weeks where the situation will be discussed and options looked into.

Has anyone gone through this before that can let me know what to expect? From what I've pieced together, during consultancy meeting it will be discussed whether I want to relocate and what happens then but I have no idea really what to do from here.

From a legal point of view am I okay to be looking and applying for jobs or do I need to wait until we are officially handed our notice as I am technically still employed by the company?

Comments

• Options
    If you've gone on gardening leave then I think the closure of your office is a fait accompli. If you don't want to move to Rochdale (and God knows I wouldn't) then get looking for other work as soon as possible.

And make the bastards pay as large a redundancy package to you as possible.
  • Options
    i've been there less than 2 years so i won't get any redundancy unfortunately :(
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If you don't want to move to Rochdale (and God knows I wouldn't)

I love Rochdale, it's the place of dreams! Infact, I'm off there on Monday.
    Even if you didn't wanna live in Roch, you could live in Manchester and travel everyday, it's not too far at all!
  • Options
    Yeah, look for other jobs.
  • Options
    What if you dont have a garden to tend :confused:

Could I get Playstation leave ? :D
  • Options
    Yes, take the gardening leave to look for another job.
    At the end of the gardening leave, they will then ask you to see out your "notice period" - as this cannot be included in the gardening leave.

So as they've put you on gardening leave, I expect you wouldn't be expected to be AT work for your notice period either, which then gives you plenty of time to doss about at home looking for jobs on t'net, and happily going to interviews.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    i've been there less than 2 years so i won't get any redundancy unfortunately :(

I thought that the legal minimum redundancy pay was 1 week's salary to every year you've worked.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I thought that the legal minimum redundancy pay was 1 week's salary to every year you've worked.

Statutory redundancy pay only comes into effect after 2 years service though, as far as I remember.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Statutory redundancy pay only comes into effect after 2 years service though, as far as I remember.
    yep which i'm quite gutted about
  • Options
    technically you can't take a new job whilst on garden leave as that'll be classed as you leaving of your own accord so you'll get no redundancy but since you won't get that anyway it doesn't matter.

They may make you work your notice though when you do get a job.
  • Options
    but my job isn't there anymore - they've moved it to Rochdale. What can they make me do? :confused:
  • Options
    but my job isn't there anymore - they've moved it to Rochdale. What can they make me do? :confused:

You're supposed to sit out your notice period whilst they pay you. There's nothing to stop you looking for a new job, but really you are still employed by your old company, so shouldn't start at any new place.
  • Options
    Why not, plenty of people have two jobs?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Why not, plenty of people have two jobs?
    they could make her pay back the wages she got while she was working somewhere else on the grounds that she wasn't available to work.

People who have two jobs tend to have one in the evening, nobody does two jobs at the same time :)
  • Options
    Asta wrote: »
    People who have two jobs tend to have one in the evening, nobody does two jobs at the same time :)

yes they do :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Not during the same working hours though :p
  • Options
    Er, what part of 'yes they do' did you not understand?
  • Options
    I've never seen my milkman delivering letters as he places the milk on my doorstep!
  • Options
    Me neither, but that's not a bad idea!
  • Options

You're still an employee of the firm, so if you leave without giving your notice then you're breaking your contract. This would affect any redundancy money. They cannot however withhold money from you for work done, and this includes gardening leave, so you wouldn't actually lose out if you did leave without the notice.

Look for new jobs as you're not going to get this one back, but I'd be appreciating the paid leave and not rushing to another job. Enjoy it for as long as you can, its a free holiday.
  • Options
    that's what I've decided to do. I have my consultancy meeting on wednesday and I'm going to look around then for a week or sothen start applying, or possibly getting a temp job
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    yes they do :rolleyes:
    well you'd find you could be dismissed for that.

And your a damn site cleaverer than a lot of people if you can do two jobs with the same working hours.
  • Options

And your a damn site cleaverer than a lot of people if you can do two jobs with the same working hours.

How would they know??? There isn't going to be that huge an overlap anyhow.

I have (well I did til I went on maternity leave) two jobs. Both jobs are well aware of each other and as long as I don't compromise the main employment for the second employment everyone is happy. I work flexi time and crank up the hours at the main job so I have the time to work at the second job.
  • Options

oh, such flattery...

Both my manager and I blatantly do two jobs at the same time. Our branch manager is fully aware of the situation and couldn't give a flying fuck. We also manage to read a paper, do our banking, get shit from town, a couple of crosswords and a soduko or two while we're working too. We do hide the papers and stay at our desks while the area manager's around though ;)