Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Your biggest life regret

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    As I (kind of) said above, my definition of a regret is something you did badly that you could have done better, without needing any knowledge you didn't have at the time. In that sense, I don't have any big regrets because at the time I made the biggest bad choices, as far as I knew they were the best thing to do. With the same knowledge I had then, I'd do the same again now.
    However, I've done some things I regret, none of them life-altering important. For example, there was this classmate of mine a few years ago, we were getting along well and I think we were on the way to becoming friends. One day a rumour was heard about her that made nearly everyone to stop talking to her, and I regret that I was one of them, out of pure stupidity (peer pressure). :( She left the school by the end of the year.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To have regrets, signifies the end of one's life....

I shall have no regrets, and I'd be very worried if at 21, I had any.

So you've never regretted certain actions? For example you was on holiday and only realise later on the girl who was chatting to you wanted to get with you? Wouldn't you regret that in a 'damn, how stupid of me' kinda way?
  • Options
    I don't like to regret anything.
  • Options
    Selling my sports car.

Otherwise life is too short to regret most everything else.
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote: »
    So you've never regretted certain actions? For example you was on holiday and only realise later on the girl who was chatting to you wanted to get with you? Wouldn't you regret that in a 'damn, how stupid of me' kinda way?

I think that's the point I was trying to make. To regret for me personally is to see a flaw which all humans are capable of. Dwelling on the regret is another matter. Good for those who say they don't regret anything, it's something to aspire to I think but I just dont think its realistic.
  • Options
    From time to time I think back to things I've done and just thought "I was such a plonker back then", but I'm not really secure in myself so in another five years time I'll probably think the same thing. Dunno if it counts as regret really.

I'm a lot more of a do-er now, I always take a chance nowadays. Better to regret doing something than regretting not doing it (except murder and rape and stuff obviously).
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Better to regret doing something than regretting not doing it (except murder and rape and stuff obviously).

lol exactly
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote: »
    Hope this is the right place to put it, it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. But what would your biggest life regret be?

Mine is gona be controversial, and i can already see it derailing the topic before i've even written it, but what the hey, i can regret that later right?

Mine is not killing myself a couple of years ago when i was at my lowest. Ever since then i haven't really had any highs, i've tried my hardest, moved, made new friends, met new people, but if my happy ness was on a graph it'd be between 0 and 1. Of course there has been times when it's been higher, but nothing magical. Back in 2003 i split up with a girl i loved dearly, and still do a bit today i guess. I remember breaking up with her so vividly, the lame excuses that i'd heard a million times before. I remember the walk back to the train/tube station. I remember sitting on the bench on the platform just starring at the tracks, must have been a good half hour and many tube trains passed by as i just stared thinking about which path to take.

We all know which path i did take in the end but its my biggest regret, so far there has been nothing since that day that has made me be grateful to be alive, i've tried hard doing lots of different things. But i can't think of one thing where i can say 'wow, im glad i didn't miss out on that'. I wish i did die that day, to not have had to suffer what i have over the last 4 years. The lying, the moaning, the backstabbing, the crying, the sadness, the being along, i could go on.

The only time im really happy is in my dreams when im asleep, i wish i didn't ever wake up, because for once, i could be truely happy. :crying:

I can really sympathise with the very sad message that began this thread. Last year I had, for a brief moment, everything I'd ever dreamed of, and scarily, JUST as I'd dreamed of it. I lost all of it.

Things will get better again, they usually do, but it takes time. You're alive and you will be grateful for it again eventually, believe me. Its so hard not to sound cliched I know. But this is coming from someone who is currently at a very low ebb, not someone content and unable to really relate to such despair.
  • Options
    I have loads of regrets, some pretty big ones too. I kinda force myself not to think about it, otherwise I know I'd feel really really bad, I can't help but think about some of them and there are a couple that I still think about daily. I think it's niave to think that one shouldn't have any regrets at all, it all depends on what one has done or had done, or been witness to.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Better to regret doing something than regretting not doing it (except murder and rape and stuff obviously).

That was one of my Grandad's best pieces of advice. i always remember it and it's lead to some seriously funky times.

When he greets me at the Pearly Gates I am *so* gonna shake him warmly by the hand... and then tell him what it did...
  • Options
    the one regret I have was having a relationship too young, which in turn fecked up my last years at school... I suppose everything happens for a reason:yes:
  • Options
    I regret that I've not slept with anywhere near enough girls in the last 7 years. That's about it really, life/job's all fallen into place OK.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    To only have happiness of 0-1 out of ten, you must be very very depressed, even if you are hiding it well and getting on with life.

I don't think the original poster is saying they're always UNHAPPY just that they're NOT Happy.

That they have not found something which makes them feel excited about life.

I do think if people are thinking about killing themselves they should do some activities which come close to simulating a life and death moment... such as a bungee jump or sky dive and see if that kick starts their thoughts on life and death anymore.

If people can't find anything in life that makes them happy then sometimes they find comfort in helping others to be a little happier - volunteer work abroad for example may be an option.
  • Options
    I only have one regret, which was not being close to my grandparents before they died, but I'm making up for it now, visiting the grave often, tidying it, putting fresh flowers down etc.
  • Options
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    I regret that I've not slept with anywhere near enough girls in the last 7 years.

You really are ruled by your cock, aren't you?
  • Options
    What's the point of regretting something? You can't change it (or it wouldn't be a regret) so why dwell on something you can't change? You can appreciate your mistakes and learn from them, but to regret them sounds like such a waste of negative energy to me. That's why I won't have regrets - I'd rather be postive and learn from it.

Surely that's like saying "What's the point feeling sad." Wouldn't you say regret is a natural feeling just like feeling sad, happy, angry etc?

I think to NOT feel regret at some point in your life is either unnatural..or just plain bullshit.
  • Options
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    I regret that I've not slept with anywhere near enough girls in the last 7 years. That's about it really, life/job's all fallen into place OK.

That's really really pathetic, yeah?

I regret not putting £20 on the Sheffield Eagles to win the Challenge Cup in 1998 like I was going to...
  • Options
    I dont see the point in regretting the things I've done, only the things I won't get to do. Things happen, and people learn from them. Alot of stuff in my life I would have done differently, choices and decisions I would have made differently, but looking back, It doesnt matter what you choose things happen. You can't force a guy to love you, you cant keep people alive. All you can do is learn and move on. Because living in regret makes you forget the present. :thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

Hold on - why is that pathetic?

If he's happy with everything else, but hasn't done as well with women as he would have liked, then it's a valid regret!

Seems Ricardo is becoming a bit of a fall guy around here...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Excuse me, why on earth is that pathetic?? Everything else I've done pretty well in life, and couldn't think of anywhere else I'd rather be - good job plus running an exciting business, loadsa great friends, living the dream in London, therefore I have absolutely no regrets there. However, I'm a big believer in experiencing as much as you can of life, so it will always stay with me that I never even kissed a girl till university, missed out on some of the happier times most people experience at school/6th form, haven't been with enough girls over the last few years, having too many periods without sex (or anything) for months etc. 'You always want what you haven't got' and this is something important to my life, I'm sure if I had no problems getting what I wanted whenever then I'd just take that for granted.
  • Options
    I used to live a life of endless regrets. I was too chicken to do stuff and after it had passed I'd soak up in regret for not having dared to.
    Hit rock bottom, crawled up and out of my hole. Really hard arduous work it took.

Today, I don't have any particular regrets. Everything I have done to this date has shaped me into the person I am today, and the person I am today is a happy confident one who is headed where she wants to go.
    If I'd think hard I would no doubt find something to regret if I really wanted to, but I've learned to use the negative stuff to push me in the correct direction.

Even the time when I was working for a sexual predator that had his eyes on me I learned a whole lot from the experience when I became ready to move on.

I don't know, when I think back and think about things that could possibly be counted as regrets, I usually end up thinking about how that could possibly have changed what I'm doing today and I really wouldn't want that.

But I guess if there's anything, when I quit this brass band because I was too lazy to practice and wanted to hang with my friend instead is the thing I probably regret the most. :)
  • Options
    My biggest regret is wasting money. I got some inheritance cash when I turned 21 and I was still too immature to deal with it properly, so a lot of it went on unnecessary stuff and I totally regret not having used/saved it wisely. I was so lucky to have had it in the first place, it makes me feel nauseous to think how stupid I was back then.
    Having said all that, if I hadn't used it in the way I did, I may not have met my boyfriend (it's a long story)...so maybe the point that everything happens for a reason is valid in this case.
  • Options
    I agree with Rachael, regret is a very important part of life, it's the part that makes you conscious of mistakes you have made - and thus allows you to correct them if you can, or turn paths for the future if you think it necessary.

Dwelling too much on the past though of course can be unhealthy and is unadvisable... but a certain amount of consciousness about your mistakes is ultimately healthy imo.

The difference is that regret should push you forward into the future, into taking into account the mistakes you don't want to repeat, not backwards into the past where things can't be changed.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    I agree with Rachael, regret is a very important part of life, it's the part that makes you conscious of mistakes you have made - and thus allows you to correct them if you can, or turn paths for the future if you think it necessary.

Dwelling too much on the past though of course can be unhealthy and is unadvisable... but a certain amount of consciousness about your mistakes is ultimately healthy imo.

The difference is that regret should push you forward into the future, into taking into account the mistakes you don't want to repeat, not backwards into the past where things can't be changed.

Off topic BUT HEY where have yoooou been?!?!
  • Options
    Oh, just here, same old, same old. :p

But soon to be changing continents :D
  • Options
    Meryn wrote: »
    You [Ricardo R] really are ruled by your cock, aren't you?
    We're blokes - we'll always be partly ruled by our dicks! :p

I didn't lose my virginity until I was 20. I could choose to regret the fact I didn't start earlier, but I don't at all. I just see that I have to make up for lost time. :naughty:
  • Options
    fair few things i regret

this whole 'i dont regret anything yadda yadda' is a load of balls :thumb:
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    this whole 'i dont regret anything yadda yadda' is a load of balls :thumb:

:yes:

The key is not to let these things get ya down cos if you do then you're fucked.
  • Options
    Theres things I regret doing, just stupid choices, decisions when I knew really I shouldnt have taken them at the time. I look back and think what the fuck was I thinking to go and do something like that!?

Regrets are just lessons learned I think.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I didn't lose my virginity until I was 20. I could choose to regret the fact I didn't start earlier, but I don't at all. I just see that I have to make up for lost time. :naughty:
    However, I'm a big believer in experiencing as much as you can of life, so it will always stay with me that I never even kissed a girl till university, missed out on some of the happier times most people experience at school/6th form

Well, my first kiss was at uni (and was absolutely terrible btw - the guy's singular aim seemed to be to suffercate me with his tongue!!) but my take on it is, yeah, I 'missed out', but only on immature school relationships and younger teenagers are horrible and selfish anyway [just a crude generalisation - please don't flame me!] and so I think it saved me a lot of hurt and shit, and so I came to my current relationship completely baggage-free :thumb: