Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Your biggest life regret

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hope this is the right place to put it, it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. But what would your biggest life regret be?

Mine is gona be controversial, and i can already see it derailing the topic before i've even written it, but what the hey, i can regret that later right?

Mine is not killing myself a couple of years ago when i was at my lowest. Ever since then i haven't really had any highs, i've tried my hardest, moved, made new friends, met new people, but if my happy ness was on a graph it'd be between 0 and 1. Of course there has been times when it's been higher, but nothing magical. Back in 2003 i split up with a girl i loved dearly, and still do a bit today i guess. I remember breaking up with her so vividly, the lame excuses that i'd heard a million times before. I remember the walk back to the train/tube station. I remember sitting on the bench on the platform just starring at the tracks, must have been a good half hour and many tube trains passed by as i just stared thinking about which path to take.

We all know which path i did take in the end but its my biggest regret, so far there has been nothing since that day that has made me be grateful to be alive, i've tried hard doing lots of different things. But i can't think of one thing where i can say 'wow, im glad i didn't miss out on that'. I wish i did die that day, to not have had to suffer what i have over the last 4 years. The lying, the moaning, the backstabbing, the crying, the sadness, the being along, i could go on.

The only time im really happy is in my dreams when im asleep, i wish i didn't ever wake up, because for once, i could be truely happy. :crying:

Comments

• Options
    Oh no, I'm really sorry you feel like that. Everyone who has lost love knows how it feels to be down, and that this is normal and to be expected. However, even though no-one expects you to be able to just 'bounce back' from these things, you should be able to find some happiness in some things. To only have happiness of 0-1 out of ten, you must be very very depressed, even if you are hiding it well and getting on with life. You shouldn't feel like this, and you won't for ever -- please go and get some help, so that you can be ahppier, if not happy.
  • Options
    Wow..that sucks mate, I'm not really sure what to say after that.
    Sometimes we all go through bad patches in life but the great thing is coming out the other side, sure this may seem quite a long patch of time to feel rubbish but in the grand scale of things these times you've felt down will only make up a tiny percentage of your life.
    It sounds like you're not really over this girl you were with so im guessing it didnt really end in a 'final' way which is probably why you're still dwelling over it, no doubt still full of questions you'd like answering...after all this time having passed though i'd imagine its pretty unlikely you're ever going to get those answers so i all i can suggest is to try and realise that the relationship was no good.
    The lying, the moaning, the backstabbing, the crying, the sadness, the being alone...
    Good relationships arent made up of these things so count yourself lucky that you're out of it.
    I dont doubt for one second that one day you will look back on all this, wonder how you could have ever felt this way and be glad that your life really is worth living and how much happier you are
  • Options
    my regrets seem trivial compared to that.
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Wow..that sucks mate, I'm not really sure what to say after that.
    Sometimes we all go through bad patches in life but the great thing is coming out the other side, sure this may seem quite a long patch of time to feel rubbish but in the grand scale of things these times you've felt down will only make up a tiny percentage of your life.
    It sounds like you're not really over this girl you were with so im guessing it didnt really end in a 'final' way which is probably why you're still dwelling over it, no doubt still full of questions you'd like answering...after all this time having passed though i'd imagine its pretty unlikely you're ever going to get those answers so i all i can suggest is to try and realise that the relationship was no good.
    Good relationships arent made up of these things so count yourself lucky that you're out of it.
    I dont doubt for one second that one day you will look back on all this, wonder how you could have ever felt this way and be glad that your life really is worth living and how much happier you are

Oh, please don't get me wrong, my current level of happyness has nothing to do with her at all or the relationship. All the stuff i've mentioned is to do with everything else after that. The lying/backstabbing etc comes from the new people i've met since that time. Basically the end of that relationship started this whole downward spiral i guess and nothing i do seems to change the spiral from going downwards, i just encounter more crap, more people telling me what to do, more people wanting to bring me down, more people telling me im hated.

Hell even my current gf just told me all her friends hate me and had a good hour long rant on why im this horrible person that no one likes. You know, i thought gf's were meant to be there for you, not try to bring you down for what ever personal gain.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    my regrets seem trivial compared to that.

Don't worry about that, spill all.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I regret nothing.
  • Options
    I regret nothing because at one point its what I wanted otherwise I wouldnt have done it. Sort of.
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote: »
    I regret nothing.

Same here.

Saying that, I found an old bag of Tesco's Finest fruit scones in the cupboard today, about a fortnight out of date? No mould or that, but they still looked pretty scrummy so I gobbled them up as a spot of early evening tea.

Beginning to rebound on me big style now though, there's certainly an element of regret as regards that hasty decision :grump:
  • Options
    I regret staying with my ex for three and a half years. I should have dumped him as soon as the bastard cheated on me.

I had well fit guys chat me up when I was with him :impissed:
  • Options
    I dont have one major regret. I have plenty of little ones but I can accept them as me being young, naive and not knowing any better at the time.
  • Options
    Oh you poor thing. x

I only regret not doing as well as I did in school.
  • Options
    Yes, the way I reacted to certain things.

I'm more than happy to pick up the pieces myself if I fuck up, but I really hate the thought that I've upset other people.

Live and learn though.
  • Options
    Given my incredibly chequered and well-documented life history, many think that my life is full of regrets. Not so. I think that my life so far has been fairly good, despite all the ups and massive downs in recent years. I've been in two wonderful relationships, I've nowadays got some simply amazing friends, I'm on the way to university. And yet there is one thing that I do regret. It's the fact that I'm not more well-liked.

Whether it be on this site or in real life, it's the same. I have become this very polarising, highly controversial figure. In a sense, I'm used to it nowadays, but I do have a sense of resignation about it. I'm a lot like Marmite - you either love me or hate me. Depending on whom you ask, you will either hear I am the most wonderful friend possible or the worst enemy imaginable. In real life and on this site, there are people who actively despise me, who would love nothing more than to see me crash and burn. Such is the divisive effect I have on people. I shouldn't care about it, but I have moments when I wish I could be more popular than I am.
    NeoNero wrote: »
    The lying/backstabbing etc comes from the new people i've met since that time. Basically the end of that relationship started this whole downward spiral i guess and nothing i do seems to change the spiral from going downwards, i just encounter more crap, more people telling me what to do, more people wanting to bring me down, more people telling me im hated...
    I think it's time you took a very tough line. A few years ago, I made a decision to cut off contact with almost everyone that was in my life. They were a bunch of back-stabbing, lying bastards. I was told that it would be a disaster, that I would be forever lonely afterwards. How wrong they were. It was the best decision I have ever made. Nowadays, I am reasonably happy, happier than I have been for a very long time.
  • Options
    I have lots of regrets.. I think to regret something is completely human because we all make mistakes and yadayada but it's whether you linger on it and keep going back over it that counts. Yeah that made sense in my head.

I regret not visiting my dad as often as I could have done, the brain tumour makes it feel like I have never known him truely.

I regret not standing up for myself in certain situations. I need to get more ballsy.
  • Options
    I regret drinking some green liquid I got given last night....

On a more serious note....I regret that I lived with six other people in my second year, it desroyed the friendships we had. Things haven't been the same since.

I can still taste the green stuff:sour:
  • Options
    I have a few minor regrets but I don't dwell on them for too long.

What happens, happens for a reason, whatever the consequences may be.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I have a few minor regrets but I don't dwell on them for too long.

What happens, happens for a reason, whatever the consequences may be.

i dont think what happens happens for a reason..surely there are some exceptions like starving babies in africa etc
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    i dont think what happens happens for a reason..surely there are some exceptions like starving babies in africa etc

Ok but that is a rather extreme example.
    My life is rather tame in comparison, despite it being far from perfect alot of the time, and I believe that whatever happens to me has a reason for happening, even if it sucks really badly.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I believe that whatever happens to me has a reason for happening, even if it sucks really badly.

Yeah I agree.

I have loads of regrets, but there is fuck all I can do about them now. No matter how much I want to, I cant turn the clock back.

The trick is to learn from your regrets and do something different so in the future you have less regrets and more achievements.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't really have any really big regrets, at least not by my definition.
    The biggest things that could have gone differently in my life could have been different if I'd made different choices, but at the time I didn't even consider doing something different, so it's not really a regret, if you see what I mean.
  • Options
    I could potentially have a lot of things to regret, but I don't. I could either linger over them and wallow in the negativity from it, or I could accept it, make it a chance for me to learn something, and move on.
  • Options
    Why regret, it's just part of the learning curve...
  • Options
    To have regrets, signifies the end of one's life....

I shall have no regrets, and I'd be very worried if at 21, I had any.
  • Options
    I have no regrets.
  • Options
    To have regrets, signifies the end of one's life....

I shall have no regrets, and I'd be very worried if at 21, I had any.

Hell no it doesn't.

People make mistakes or an idiot out of themselves everyday of their lives. I regret things but I try not to dwell on them too much. I think that is where the difference lies. To not regret something almost seems slightly narcistic..or maybe it's just the in thing to say.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I don't have time for regrets. I just forget and move onto something else. I don't see the point in regretting things. It's happened. The end.
  • Options
    My head regrets that I chose to go out last night :(
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    To not regret something almost seems slightly narcistic..or maybe it's just the in thing to say.
    What's the point of regretting something? You can't change it (or it wouldn't be a regret) so why dwell on something you can't change? You can appreciate your mistakes and learn from them, but to regret them sounds like such a waste of negative energy to me. That's why I won't have regrets - I'd rather be postive and learn from it.
  • Options
    What's the point of regretting something? You can't change it (or it wouldn't be a regret) so why dwell on something you can't change? You can appreciate your mistakes and learn from them, but to regret them sounds like such a waste of negative energy to me. That's why I won't have regrets - I'd rather be postive and learn from it.

i guess it depends on your interpretation of regret..because i have plenty of cases where i think 'damn i wish i didnt do that' but i just get on with things..to not regret something seems sub-human to me but i guess it's all down to interpretation!
  • Options
    Aye, I agree.

I do regret staying with my ex for three and a half years as he treated me like shit and made me really unhappy.

Although I've learnt from it and am alot stronger because of it, it doesn't mean I don't regret it.