Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

16 year olds taken on as PCSOs

Personally i'm astonished, i've yet to meet a 16 year old with the maturity required to deal with some of the shit we face day in day out. I work with an 18 year old who doesn't have the life experience to tie his shoe laces correctly.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20070813/tuk-16-year-olds-to-be-support-officers-6323e80_1.html

:no:

How would you lot feel about being detained by a kid....?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Absolute bollocks. The kids aren't even allowed into pubs, how the hell are they supposed to do their jobs properly? Whatever it is that PCSOs do anyway.....
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with it.

I know of plenty of 16 year olds who could deal with the responsibility; just because you don't know of any, doesn't mean there aren't any?
  • Options
    How would you lot feel about being detained by a kid....?

Honestly, if I was approached by a kid in uniform, I would have thought they had acquired the outfit somehow and were taking the piss.

From the website:
    Although PCSOs do not have the same powers as regular police officers, they still carry a lot of responsibility, and are a critical part of the police force.

I'm sure they're a damn sight cheaper too.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »

I'm sure they're a damn sight cheaper too.

I get paid more than a PC, although they get paid more after 3/4 years.
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »

I know of plenty of 16 year olds who could deal with the responsibility

You know a 16 year old who would:

Be able to approach a group of people, one of whom has just seriously assaulted someone and detain them?

Be able to talk down a drunk?

Tell someone their child has just died?

Deal with a neighbour dispute that has been ongoing for years?

Confiscate alcohol from an 18 year old who you suspect has bee supplying it to kids?
  • Options
    How does it work though? Do they have similar/same powers as PCs and are paid differently?

It's a fair criticisim though (I can't remember who said it in the link). The clinic where I just left, if you can replace a doctor with a nurse to do the same task, it's done. If you can replace a nurse with a healthcare assistant to do the same job, it's done. That's healthcare though, and going off topic, but as I said, if I saw a 16 year old doing that, I'd think it was a joke.
  • Options
    I'd feel patronised and if a 16 year old approached a group of drunken men he'd probably get his head kicked in.

Whowhere if I was you i'd feel pretty shit about it knowing that they think a 16 year old is capable of doing what you do. It's a joke.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    I'd feel patronised and if a 16 year old approached a group of drunken men he'd probably get his head kicked in.

Whowhere if I was you i'd feel pretty shit about it knowing that they think a 16 year old is capable of doing what you do. It's a joke.

:yes:
  • Options
    I know one who started when he was 18, had a lot of sense and was very good with people and at his job, but had lots of problems because he's short and looks younger than he is so no one takes him seriously to begin with.

That said, if you get them doing the right kind of things it could work, things like getting the local youth on side.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »

:yes:

They should stay at Cop Cadets until they're 20.
  • Options
    PCSO's have alot less powers than pc's.
    They play there part though in helping with crime.

As for taking on 16 year olds, personally i would tell them to go get a job until they were 18 and experience a bit of life themselves before they try dealing with life in general.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    All I know is that it's wrong to judge people solely based on their age. Perhaps nobody here knows a teenager who'd be able to deal with all that, but that's no indication these two can't. Someone who does know them, obviously has a different opinion on them than you.
    And I'd have thought that somebody who knows person A would be a better person to ask for information about person A than somebody who doesn't know them, no matter what the case is.
  • Options
    what happens if you kick off in a cinema where there showing an 18 film? Are they not allowed in?
  • Options
    what happens if you kick off in a cinema where there showing an 18 film? Are they not allowed in?

Ditto confiscating alcohol.

Anywhoo, most PCs seem like kids to me these days :(
  • Options
    All I know is that it's wrong to judge people solely based on their age.

Well yeah, but you also have to recognise that there are situations where their ages would be a factor that may limit their effectiveness in doing their job. For example, there are plenty of situations where a black police officer would be preferable to a white one, purely because he is black, or a female police officer would be better able to carry out a particular duty purely because she is female. It may be a result of people's prejudices, but then that's unfortunately what police officers have to deal with. And I can think of far more situations where the fact that they're not an adult would be an issue, but then that's up to their bosses to decide, I guess. People's attitudes will change in time though. I have no doubt that the first female officers were greeted with assumptions that they wouldn't be taken as seriously as a man.
  • Options

Bit like getting a parking ticket from a cop who's just parked on double yellows to go to the shop, really.
  • Options
    Apart from anything else I would kind of like to think that PCSOs has slightly more education than they would have at 16, be it from life experiences and maturity that come with being slightly older or send them to college for a bit to do a BTEC or NVQ in public services.

They're straight out of school ffs.
  • Options
    I'd assume their powers are going to be limited.

Yeh, but no 16 year old is going to tell me what to do, they'll be pretty ineffective.
  • Options
    Apart from anything else I would kind of like to think that PCSOs has slightly more education than they would have at 16, be it from life experiences and maturity that come with being slightly older or send them to college for a bit to do a BTEC or NVQ in public services.

They're straight out of school ffs.

Yeah, I was thinking that. What calibre of applicants must they have when a 16 year old with poor qualifications (presumably, or why wouldn't they be in college) and zero experience is the best they have to pick from? From what I can tell, it's not like the army or and apprenticship, where they're going to have a period of intensive training before they go anywhere near the job by themselves.
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »

I know of plenty of 16 year olds who could deal with the responsibility; just because you don't know of any, doesn't mean there aren't any?

I don't know any responsible 18 month old babies? Does your argument mean that there are some??? :p

Hehehe! Hey! I'm kidding. I just didn't have anything constructive to say ... :rolleyes:

;)
  • Options
    i think the more mature you are in that job the better. you need life experience yourself to be able to take on that type of work imo. although you can be a PC from age 18, so a PCSO at 16 - isn't much difference - it doesn't mean there are that many 18 year old cops knocking about and more than likely the majority of 16 year old wouldn't pass selection anyway...
  • Options
    It is an offence to posess alcohol if you are under 18....so a 16 year old PCSO confiscating it would also be breaking the law (can't wait to see that in a court).

It is an offence for an under 18 year old to enter certain licensed premises or to see an 18 rated film, again a 16 year old PCSO entering one of these places would be breaking the law.....
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    nicked my fair share of bad people.

I didn't think pcso's had the power of arrest?
  • Options
    same as you plus a few more depending on the circumstances.
  • Options
    So just the common law power of arrest you mean?
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    So just the common law power of arrest you mean?

Yes, plus depending on force area power to detain.

Power to detain is the same as a police officer's power of arrest BUT in order to excise the power you have to have asked the person's name and address and either
    Not been given a name and/or address
    Been given a name/address that you suspect is false (which unless they have ID on them is most of the time).

Once name and address have been established the person is released and are dealt with by way of summons/fixed penalty unless whilst detained another offence comes to light for which they can be arrested/you detained them for a public order offence and fear a breach of the peace if they are released.
  • Options
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well yeah, but you also have to recognise that there are situations where their ages would be a factor that may limit their effectiveness in doing their job.
    Of course. But this has nothing to do with their ability to cope or anything, it's all based on external factors.
  • Options
    I understand that whowhere is annoyed that someone much younger than him is being employed in the same role - but to refuse to employ men younger than him on the grounds of 'they're 16!!!' is against those new laws brought in about age and employment etc.

To be fair, its not like they're going to be arresting anyone and such, they're only going to be PCSOs which is a much less hands on job role than being a standard police constable in my opinion.
  • Options
    PCSOs get laughed at whatever age they are, but 16 year olds? I wouldn't take them seriously. In fact i'd probably just walk away from them.