Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Postal Strikes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there going to be one in the next couple of days?

My uni accommodation stuff got sent to me last week (postmarked 25th - arrived Saturday) and they gave me 7 days to reply to it (so by Wednesday). I sent it off today, but if there's going to be another strike I might have to call them ;(.

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    There has been one recently but don't know what the schedule is for the next few days. There will also be a bit of a backlog because of the mail not sorted or delivered due to the last one. And I recently had a letter just vanish from somewhere. I would probably send it off as normal (first class) and after about 3 days give the uni a call to make sure it has arrived ok.
  • Options
    I posted it earlier :yes:. I will call them...er....I don't actually know when, since I'm working every day this week except tomorrow. But I *will* call them to make sure.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I posted it earlier :yes:. I will call them...er....I don't actually know when, since I'm working every day this week except tomorrow. But I *will* call them to make sure.

Yeah, I would call them either Wednesday or Thursday, just to make sure. All it needs is a 5 minute break to do so, and then you will have peace of mind :yes:
  • Options
    :thumb:

I will put it on my to-ring list >.<
  • Options
    These douchebags are really starting to piss me off.
  • Options
    Theres 2 weeks worth of postal strikes going on starting last Thursday. Apparently a different sector are doing it every day to cause maximum disruption, so I would definitely give them a call.
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    Theres 2 weeks worth of postal strikes going on starting last Thursday. Apparently a different sector are doing it every day to cause maximum disruption, so I would definitely give them a call.
    Oh how wonderfully wonderful of them :yeees:.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Oh how wonderfully wonderful of them :yeees:.
    I know.

We've had nowt for a couple of days and a marathon of post today.
  • Options
    Hope none of you were waiting for cheques to clear, we've had so many lost cheques the past few weeks. Yesterday I received one dated 17 / 07. :yeees:

I'm all for going private now to be honest
  • Options
    Its not all bad. Sent off for my passport last Weds and it arrived in one piece today.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I am waiting to hear back from jobs, as to whether I am invited to interview or not....not a happy bunnie with strikes!
  • Options
    Every single postie who's currently on strike should be given their P45 at once. We'll see at that point whether they still agree with their own actions.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Its not all bad. Sent off for my passport last Weds and it arrived in one piece today.

did you pay extra for the secure delivery service?

(curious as i'm sending off for my passport this week.)
  • Options
    Franki - have you phoned them yet? Has your letter arrived?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Every single postie who's currently on strike should be given their P45 at once. We'll see at that point whether they still agree with their own actions.

You need to read a little history my son.
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    did you pay extra for the secure delivery service?

(curious as i'm sending off for my passport this week.)

Did the check and send at the post office. Sent it last Wednesday afternoon and passport arrived yesterday, birth certificate and the other stuff you have to send arrived today.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    You need to read a little history my son.
    They'll have plenty of time to do that when half of them are out of a job. ;)
  • Options
    They'll have plenty of time to do that when half of them are out of a job. ;)

I said you need to read some history.
  • Options

Did you ever stop to think it might be just a tad more complicated than lazy postmen?
  • Options
    Franki - have you phoned them yet? Has your letter arrived?

I don't know. I haven't rung them yet, largely because I can barely talk. But I'm a bit confused because their tracking thing on their website says this:

RESULTS
    Name: EATON, Frances Emily
    Application received: 23/03/2007
    Application status: Offer Pending
    Offer sent: 27/07/2007
    Offer expires: 06/08/2007
    Room type: Camden Court (Standard Room)
    Contract period: 14/09/2007 to 12/07/2008

Please return your signed contracts and deposit payment before your offer expires.

So I guess that means I've got til Monday. Now I'm confused ;(.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Did you ever stop to think it might be just a tad more complicated than lazy postmen?
    Yes. And it's clear that it isn't. The Royal Mail is an inefficient, overstaffed company. Workers are being made redundant gradually to save the company money. But of course, our posties don't understand that concept. Posties don't like the idea of having to do more work, indeed they don't like the idea of having to actually do some work, the lazy sods. Posties are paid pretty well as it is, and they get decent working hours.

We'll see whether they still think striking was the right thing to do when, in a couple of months, half of them get sacked. They will have no one but themselves to blame.
  • Options
    Yes. And it's clear that it isn't. The Royal Mail is an inefficient, overstaffed company. Workers are being made redundant gradually to save the company money. But of course, our posties don't understand that concept. Posties don't like the idea of having to do more work, indeed they don't like the idea of having to actually do some work, the lazy sods. Posties are paid pretty well as it is, and they get decent working hours.

We'll see whether they still think striking was the right thing to do when, in a couple of months, half of them get sacked. They will have no one but themselves to blame.

And where did you get this information from? Out of your arse, or a credible source? I know what it looks like to me :chin:
  • Options
    stargalaxy always pulls it out of his arse
  • Options
    I just hope it doesnt last long. Im waiting for an important hospital appointment. :(
  • Options
    I don't know. I haven't rung them yet, largely because I can barely talk. But I'm a bit confused because their tracking thing on their website says this:

RESULTS
    Name: EATON, Frances Emily
    Application received: 23/03/2007
    Application status: Offer Pending
    Offer sent: 27/07/2007
    Offer expires: 06/08/2007
    Room type: Camden Court (Standard Room)
    Contract period: 14/09/2007 to 12/07/2008

Please return your signed contracts and deposit payment before your offer expires.

So I guess that means I've got til Monday. Now I'm confused ;(.

Phone them and explain you haven't received it yet - it's been more than a reasonable amount of time. Any way they can fax the contracts over?

edit: nevermind, didn't read that you'd sent it!
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Phone them and explain you haven't received it yet - it's been more than a reasonable amount of time. Any way they can fax the contracts over?

edit: nevermind, didn't read that you'd sent it!
    I have received it :p.

I'm waiting for them to get all the stuff that I sent THEM.
  • Options
    Recorded delivery is still getting through AFAIK.
  • Options
    I couldn't sent it recorded delivery because I am poor.

Bloody hell ;(.
  • Options
    Ifyou still cant talk to well, is there no one who can ring for you?
  • Options
    Want me to give them a ring :razz: