Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

just where does the government get this information

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4762086.stm

i was wondering when and where someones ethnicity was recorded and used in their statistics?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure, but the fact that only a 1/3rd of black male kids get 5 GCSE's is deeply depressing.
  • Options
    I don't particularly care where the Government got this information from, to be honest, nor about when they started collecting it. I'm more concerned with the figures themselves. As with any figures this government releases, they are to be taken with not so much a pinch of salt, but a whole bucket's worth. The figures themselves are well and truly pathetic. Instead of glorifying themselves, ministers should shut up and get on with the jobs we pay them so much public money to do.
  • Options
    Probably just collate data taken from exam boards cross checked with school records of students.

As for what records say, meh, i dont really believe government statistics. They are usually biased in avour of which ever party is in power and detrimental to which ever party was in power prior to them.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    As for what records say, meh, i dont really believe government statistics. They are usually biased in avour of which ever party is in power and detrimental to which ever party was in power prior to them.
    New Labour has form when it comes to cooking the books. Cast your mind back a few weeks, when the Government released figures about the effects of the 24-hour drinking they introduced. They didn't bother to mention the figures had been released six weeks after the law was brought in, a point it was far too early to evaluate the true effects of their legislation.

The Office of National Statistics cannot be trusted anymore, it needs to be fully independent of government. But will Tony and his cronies introduce it? Or Dave and his Notting Hill chums? Don't count on it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The Office of National Statistics cannot be trusted anymore, it needs to be fully independent of government. But will Tony and his cronies introduce it? Or Dave and his Notting Hill chums? Don't count on it.

What makes you think it isnt?