Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

First Car

This might be in the wrong thread but I don't know where to put it.

Ok, so I'm starting to learn to drive again because I need a car. Alot of the jobs I'm looking to apply to require you to have a full clean driving licence so I may as well buy a car whilst I'm at it so its easier to visit home, do shopping, etc.

I'm not looking for anything special but I really don't know where to start. This is all boys stuff :p I just want a small reliable car that won't break on me like all my friends expensive cars do. How much am I looking at?

I don't have much money either. Would it be easier for me to get one on credit?

Also, whats pay as you go insurance like? I'd probably opt for that you see as I'd only really use my car to go home and do my weekly shop so wouldn't really use it much. I work in the city centre so its far easier to get a bus.

Adddviceeee? :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My car cost £1000 and I haven't had any trouble with it at all. It's not perfect, but mechanically it's sound. I don't know if bigger cars tend to last longer in general, but mine definitely seems more robust than my step sisters £3000 car. Then again, mines a Nissan and hers is a Fiat. My top tip is to buy something that is known to be reliable, but is generally cheaper than the more popular brands like Honda, VW and Toyota. Nissan and Mitsubishi are good bets imo. Or a Skoda Fabia.
  • Options
    I paid £950 for my first car and she's been great. Be careful with getting cars on credit, it can be pretty expensive. It might be worth buying an older car (ideally one used as a supermarket runner by a granny- low mileage and generally well maintained) for the purpose of cheap(ish!) insurance. You're also more likely to have carpark dinks in the first few months, and I doubt you'll want to be doing that in a brand new car.
  • Options
    If possible avoid buying a car on credit - unless, you're buying a new car with a 0% finance deal... Otherwise credit will prob be quite high interest.

Fiestas/Corsas/Rover Metros are cheap, not as reliable as Toyota or VWs but usually a lot cheaper. And if something does go wrong repairs will probably be cheaper on a Metro or a Fiesta as the parts are cheaper than Honda/Toyota.

I usually try and encourage everyone to get old Minis but they're really not for everyone and they're not reliable and they're expensive and not gd value for money. But Minis do rock! Rover Metros/Rover 100s though are excellent value, you can get a decent one very cheaply - and there's lots about with low mileages that genuinely had one old lady owner, and if you look hard and find one over 15 yrs old you'll be able to get really cheap insurance (call Footman James) as you can insure it as a 'classic' car. Fiestas/Novas over 15 yrs old are all usually knackered old wrecks, finding a good one is hard - but there's lots of decent old Metros about.
  • Options
    Ford Ka is a very respectable first car. Slightly odd looking, but they're a great drive and very cheap to run.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    they're a great drive

You've gotta be taking the piss .
  • Options
    What's your budget btw?
  • Options
    DC85 wrote: »

I'm after having a ka. I've never heard a bad word about them and I know many people who drive them
  • Options
    I've just bought my first car. she's a 99 (T) Reg Corsa (1.2 16v which means she can moooove!) and she's immaculate inside and out. Full MOT, Tax, the lot for £1450. It's more than I wanted to spend at first, but I realised I had to spend more in order to get a car with power steering.
    I'm on fully comp insurance on a provisional license for just over a grand which is rare.

All of the small cars are cheap to run, tax and insure, but make sure you take someone with you who knows about cars when you start viewing because private or trade, they know exactly what to say to make you fall in love with a car!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I'm after having a ka. I've never heard a bad word about them and I know many people who drive them

Been in one when it rains tho ? ...
  • Options
    Been in one when it rains tho ? ...

Mine loves the rain, and the floods. They are really ace to drive :)
  • Options
    A 99 (T) Reg Corsa (1.2 16v which means she can moooove!)

Lmao!
  • Options

They have a reputation for rusting badly. Considering they're based on an old design (a MkIV Fiesta) and I think they have a really old engine design or something they're a bit expensive if you're buying one as a brand new car...but second hand they're pretty cheap, I've just heard you need to watch out for rust on them.
  • Options
    Get a Ford Fiesta, try and go for a Diesel and something around a Y-reg. We've got a W-reg at work with over 80,000 on the clock and it runs quite well, considering we batter it.
    Don't look to pay more than £1500 though. We like Fiestas because they're quite sturdy, reliable, cheap parts, easy to maintain and they can survive a scrape.
  • Options

I'm selling my KA at the moment - I have to say they are gorgeous little cars... only reason I am selling is because of getting a company car. They are a lot roomier than they look too!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have a 06 toyota yaris and i love it :heart:

It was fairly expensive to buy but they are reliable and that is something that was important to me. It got me through the floods, gets me here there and everywhere when I want to.

Only downside is that it could be expensive when it comes to getting parts etc. But hopefully that won't be for a while.

Highly recommend it :)
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    I'm selling my KA at the moment - I have to say they are gorgeous little cars... only reason I am selling is because of getting a company car. They are a lot roomier than they look too!

Aw it'll be a while til I get a KA, my little Gladys (Fiesta) is still going strong but when she bites the dust then KA it is
    They have a reputation for rusting badly.

Haven't heard much about them rusting but I was talking about DC85 saying they're not a good drive.
  • Options

No mate - not in the slightest.

Just because it's no fireball in a straight line doesn't mean it's fantastic to throw through the corners. Very highly rated by the motoring press too. Speed ain't everything, and it was a damned sight better drive than the following which I tried whilst owning one: Corsa, Yaris VVTi Sports, Peugeot 206 + 106, Saxo.

The KA was the first brand new car I bought. I did 36,000 miles in 18 months before I sold it to my ex's parents and they've still got it (this was a 2000 model). It was surprisingly good on motorways as well (hence all the miles). The only thing is that it's a bit funny looking...

From the Ka, Puma and Focus onwards, Ford have always been top of the class for driving dynamics.

Yet another case of write something off as it's a bit different.
  • Options
    They have a reputation for rusting badly. Considering they're based on an old design (a MkIV Fiesta) and I think they have a really old engine design or something they're a bit expensive if you're buying one as a brand new car...but second hand they're pretty cheap, I've just heard you need to watch out for rust on them.

I've never heard this.

Also, you can haggle some VERY good deals either new or used.

The engine is (was) based on a model dating back to the 60's, but it's not the same thing... The Sport-Ka has a rather good 1.6 engine pushing out 100bhp, and that's even better to drive!
  • Options
    No mate - not in the slightest.

Just because it's no fireball in a straight line doesn't mean it's fantastic to throw through the corners. Very highly rated by the motoring press too. Speed ain't everything, and it was a damned sight better drive than the following which I tried whilst owning one: Corsa, Yaris VVTi Sports, Peugeot 206 + 106, Saxo.

The KA was the first brand new car I bought. I did 36,000 miles in 18 months before I sold it to my ex's parents and they've still got it (this was a 2000 model). It was surprisingly good on motorways as well (hence all the miles). The only thing is that it's a bit funny looking...

From the Ka, Puma and Focus onwards, Ford have always been top of the class for driving dynamics.

Yet another case of write something off as it's a bit different.

They are not funny looking, they are cute :) (well I think they are ehhe)

Mine is a 2003 (52) Luxury model... pretty comfortable on long drives and happy to sit on the motorway at 85... having also driven Vauxhall and Pugs I would say that it ranks very highly on my list!
  • Options
    I'm starting looking at cars just now. I've been browsing the classifieds for a few months to get an idea of prices, and I'm just about to take the plunge and go to my first car viewing!

It's a green Astra Sport 1.6, X reg, some tax and MOT, asking £1400, but I'd be hoping to get it for less than that.

I need something slightly bigger than the 'typical' first car (bigger than Ka, Fiesta, Corsa, Clio) because I'm a hockey goalkeeper and need a boot big enough for my hockey kit. I've mainly been looking at Astras and Almeras so far, around the W-2000 reg. I've narrowed it down to those makes for the boot space and insurance costs, and that age range for price and reliability.
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    They are not funny looking, they are cute :)

:yes: they are very sweet
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but would it not be better to pass your test and THEN buy a car?

Thats what I am doing.

I want to buy one as soon as I pass though so I'm starting to look around now.

For those who have asked, my budget is probably about £1500 max hence me saying I think I might have to buy one on credit.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but would it not be better to pass your test and THEN buy a car?
    I haven't taken my test yet, but I have a car - it's recommended that you have a car to practise in during professional tuition.
  • Options
    media?id=581613840
    £1089 from a dealer. 1.3l 16V engine, power steering, remote central locking,

99000 miles, but a full Nissan service history and only one owner from new. There are a lot more around the same price with about half as many miles too. Check out the autotrader website.
  • Options
    I haven't taken my test yet, but I have a car - it's recommended that you have a car to practise in during professional tuition.

What the fook?

Recommended by who? My instructors never mentioned such a thing. In fact I think it would have hampered progress learning stuff from them in one car then being taught other things by someone else in your own car.
  • Options
    It's recommended by the DSA - "students who pass their test first time have had an average of 45 hours professional tuition and 22 hours of private practise."

I've been recommended by lots of people to have a car or have the use of a car whilst I'm learning as it speeds up the whole process and gives you many more hours of experience that you don't get from 1 or 2 hours a week with an instructor.
  • Options

:lol: That is soooooooooooooooo not an option for some (most?) people, recommended or not.

Either unsuitable cars their parents drive (if living at home), a lack of suitable people to go out with them to practice, or unable to afford a car full stop.
  • Options
    It's recommended by the DSA - "students who pass their test first time have had an average of 45 hours professional tuition and 22 hours of private practise."

I've been recommended by lots of people to have a car or have the use of a car whilst I'm learning as it speeds up the whole process and gives you many more hours of experience that you don't get from 1 or 2 hours a week with an instructor.

Just to repeat (I know, straight after my last post) that this isn't an option for so many people.

Also, I passed first time with only private professional tuition. :)
  • Options
    :lol: That is soooooooooooooooo not an option for some (most?) people, recommended or not.

Either unsuitable cars their parents drive (if living at home), a lack of suitable people to go out with them to practice, or unable to afford a car full stop.
    Tell me about it, I've been saving for a car since I was 14 and have only just got enough for the lessons. I've only been able to buy a car since receiving compensation for a car accident I was a passenger in over a year ago.
    My parent's both drive unsuitable cars (Rav4 and Volvo V40) so that was never an option for me and my parents wouldn't just 'buy me a car' so I've had to do it all myself.
    Sometimes it just isn't an option, but if the opportunity arises then it's definitely worth doing.
  • Options
    Also, I passed first time with only private professional tuition. :)

Me too. My step dad drives one of these,
    L200b2.jpg
    so it wasn't really an option.