Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

First Car

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    The other thing about buying your own car and expecting private tuition is that there often isn't anyone able to give it to you. That, and it can be so expensive to insure a provisional driver.

I never had any private tuition. First time (6 years ago!) I failed after so many hours professional tuition and this time round I passed 'first' time with no private tuition.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Me too. My step dad drives one of these,
    L200b2.jpg
    so it wasn't really an option.

Well, at least if you hit anything you'd hardly notice :p
  • Options
    Sometimes it just isn't an option, but if the opportunity arises then it's definitely worth doing.

And sometimes it isn't. It is much easier to pick up bad habits from those who are not professional. And because mum or whoever does something a certain way, doesn't mean that it is the way it should be done ;)
  • Options
    Who said private tuition? I'm talking about private practise; having someone to sit in the car with you, not teach you anything.
  • Options
    This might be in the wrong thread but I don't know where to put it.

Ok, so I'm starting to learn to drive again because I need a car. Alot of the jobs I'm looking to apply to require you to have a full clean driving licence so I may as well buy a car whilst I'm at it so its easier to visit home, do shopping, etc.

I'm not looking for anything special but I really don't know where to start. This is all boys stuff :p I just want a small reliable car that won't break on me like all my friends expensive cars do. How much am I looking at?

I don't have much money either. Would it be easier for me to get one on credit?

Also, whats pay as you go insurance like? I'd probably opt for that you see as I'd only really use my car to go home and do my weekly shop so wouldn't really use it much. I work in the city centre so its far easier to get a bus.

Adddviceeee? :)

I reckon this fits perfectly with what you want :)

etl2061.jpg
  • Options
    Who said private tuition? I'm talking about private practise; having someone to sit in the car with you, not teach you anything.

Tbh, I don't know of many people who would just sit there, letting you drive while you still don't have a full licence, without making any comments.
  • Options
    i wouldn't really recommend practicing driving in another car. especially when as her budget is £1500 hers might not have power steering whereas the car she learns in will have.. it'll only confuse you.

the car i have now was my first and is a 106, lovely little car. :)
  • Options
    i wouldn't really recommend practicing driving in another car. especially when as her budget is £1500 hers might not have power steering whereas the car she learns in will have.. it'll only confuse you.

the car i have now was my first and is a 106, lovely little car. :)
    My car was £1450 and it has power steering.... ;)
  • Options
    To be honest, unless you've cash to spare, I wouldn't recommend buying a car unless you really need one. They steal all your money :(

That said, I also must voice my support for both the KA and fiesta as first cars. They're not particularly flashy, but they're sturdy, economical, and the KA is one of the lowest insurance groups which would be really good for a new, young driver to avoid being totally buttfucked on insurance. :thumb:

And the KA is a great drive! It's like a little go-cart. The engine's only 1.3, but considering it's about the size of a large dog, it's a nippy wee thing. In fact, the only thing I'm not keen on in the whole car is the ridiculously small boot. I'll live, I'm sure.
  • Options
    Me too. My step dad drives one of these,
    L200b2.jpg
    so it wasn't really an option.

We really should ban those things or completely tax them off the road. I hate to think what any sensible small car would look like if one of those monstrosities hit it... They're bad news for pedestrians, bad news for anyone hit by one driving a normal car and bad news for the environment. There are an absurd number of 4x4s and SUVs round where I live and the very sight of them just pisses me off. *Rant over* No offence to your step dad who I'm sure is a nice enough person. I admit I am slightly biased as I do drive a deathtrap old Mini and would be totally fucked if I was ever in an accident with one of those things.
  • Options
    The key to 4X4's is a compromise! My mum's RAV is a 2 wheel drive, but is still a RAV... So it's basically a car, but with a 4x4 body... hehe.
  • Options
    We really should ban those things or completely tax them off the road. I hate to think what any sensible small car would look like if one of those monstrosities hit it... They're bad news for pedestrians, bad news for anyone hit by one driving a normal car and bad news for the environment. There are an absurd number of 4x4s and SUVs round where I live and the very sight of them just pisses me off. *Rant over* No offence to your step dad who I'm sure is a nice enough person. I admit I am slightly biased as I do drive a deathtrap old Mini and would be totally fucked if I was ever in an accident with one of those things.

Fair enough, but expect the cost of any plumbing, building or electrical work to double then. ;)
  • Options
    The key to 4X4's is a compromise! My mum's RAV is a 2 wheel drive, but is still a RAV... So it's basically a car, but with a 4x4 body... hehe.

Preeeeeeeeeeeeetty much 100% pointless then :lol:
  • Options
    Fair enough, but expect the cost of any plumbing, building or electrical work to double then. ;)

There's always one of these :p
    pickup.jpg

A mini pick-up! So cool. But seriously yeah of course some people have a good need for an SUV and fair enough. What pisses me off is people who drive some gigantic vehicle to compensate for something else, I mean is it really necessary to drive some huge American monster truck in England? *shrugs*
  • Options
    ^ thats actually the best thing I've ever seen :heart:
  • Options
    What pisses me off is people who drive some gigantic vehicle to compensate for something else,

Before I start, I don't have an SUV, and doubt I ever will...

BUT - this view is incorrect. People don't drive things like that to compensate for anything... Completely the opposite, you'll find. Most SUVs are driven for the following two reasons:

1. Status. Look at me and how much $$$ I have.

2. "Safety". I want more metal surrounding me and my family.

There is no compensating in either of those points...
  • Options
    But seriously yeah of course some people have a good need for an SUV and fair enough. What pisses me off is people who drive some gigantic vehicle to compensate for something else, I mean is it really necessary to drive some huge American monster truck in England? *shrugs*

Yeah, it bugs me that they're planning on blanket taxing 'gas guzzlers'. My family have had people carriers for the past 10 years because we have a family with two parents and four kids. There was no option of having a smaller car instead.

However we always only had one car - a lot of families the size of ours have two. It's a bit unfair we should be penalised for the size of our car when we actually need it.

//mini rant over
  • Options
    Autotrader.co.uk

That's where to look.

SWQ I'f You tell Me Your postcode I can look for You :)
  • Options
    Instead of getting a car on finance it often works out cheaper getting a personal loan and then using that to pay for the car, as most have them have a much smaller apr. Well thats what everyone i know does anyway :p

Oh and you can get cars for like £500 which have power steering, my boyfriend used to have an m reg astra a couple of years ago and that had it.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    1. Status. Look at me and how much $$$ I have.

2. "Safety". I want more metal surrounding me and my family.

There is no compensating in either of those points...

Well I'd say the first one is a clear case of compensating for a feeling of lack of self-worth. Why else would you give a shit what strangers think? And yeah, the second one is the usual "I want the best for my kids" ignoring the fact that any kid who happens to get in the way will have their heads taken off, and your own kids won't actually be any safer than they would in an MPV, which is much safer for pedestrians. Unfortunately for people like my step-dad, it's the only vehicle with 5 seats that is legally defined as a commercial vehicle (and therefore can be claimed as an expense). He'd be more than happy to drive an estate car instead, but the government in their infinite wisdom have decided they'd rather have him in a huge, polluting 4x4 instead.
  • Options
    Well I'd say the first one is a clear case of compensating for a feeling of lack of self-worth. Why else would you give a shit what strangers think? And yeah, the second one is the usual "I want the best for my kids" ignoring the fact that any kid who happens to get in the way will have their heads taken off, and your own kids won't actually be any safer than they would in an MPV, which is much safer for pedestrians. Unfortunately for people like my step-dad, it's the only vehicle with 5 seats that is legally defined as a commercial vehicle (and therefore can be claimed as an expense). He'd be more than happy to drive an estate car instead, but the government in their infinite wisdom have decided they'd rather have him in a huge, polluting 4x4 instead.

I disagree, yet again.

I don't go with the showing off compensating for a lack of self worth at all! Also, they may just like the car, so being able to afford one, they got one! So what? Are you telling me that if you were loaded, you would still drive a rust bucket? I think not.

Being very blunt - what the hell is wrong with wanting the best for 'their' kids over somebody elses?! ANYBODY would think that way, all the time, when it comes to it. Simple as. You're wrongly applying that to this discussion just because you're a bit upset about 4x4s etc.

Regarding your comments about any kids getting in the way... If a kid gets in the way of pretty much ANY car, never mind a big 4x4, they're in deep shit! Your comment almost makes it sound as if any other car the child would simply bounce gently off, as if it were made of sponge instead of metal... :yeees:

If you don't like 4x4s or SUVs, fair enough, but I think you're being ever so slightly irrational. I don't like them, but I honestly don't give that much of a shit to start abusing the people who are driving them. It's their choice, no matter how stupid anybody may think them.

Also, a 4x4 doesn't actually take up much more (if at all) space when it comes to its footprint on the road. They're just taller and heavier etc, so it's not like they're blocking the road any more than any other large car.

I know all about the commercial vehicle thing too. It's a stupid law I know, but there are ways around it (to a point). I claim mileage in my car etc etc, I am just not able to claim the VAT back etc... (Keeping it VERY simple there, I know).
  • Options
    I don't go with the showing off compensating for a lack of self worth at all! Also, they may just like the car, so being able to afford one, they got one! So what? Are you telling me that if you were loaded, you would still drive a rust bucket? I think not.

There are plenty of new (and expensive) sensible cars. It's not as if the only 'good' cars are SUVs and 4x4s. Anyway SUVs and 4x4s, especially American imports don't score any higher for reliability and build quality. Indeed, a US made car, some imported monster truck for example would generally have worse reliability/build quality than a similarly priced normal European car.
    Being very blunt - what the hell is wrong with wanting the best for 'their' kids over somebody elses?! ANYBODY would think that way, all the time, when it comes to it. Simple as.

I don't think 4x4s/SUVs are any safer - they're more likely to flip than an ordinary car. And anyway they're unsafer for everybody else - other road users and pedestrians.
    Regarding your comments about any kids getting in the way... If a kid gets in the way of pretty much ANY car, never mind a big 4x4, they're in deep shit!

Fact: If you're hit by a Fiesta you have a significantly greater chance of surviving than if you're hit by an SUV.

Fact: If you're involved in a car accident with another vehicle - you really don't want the other vehicle to be a 4x4 or SUV.
    Your comment almost makes it sound as if any other car the child would simply bounce gently off, as if it were made of sponge instead of metal... :yeees:

Nobody is saying that. But, anybody with half a brain knows that a kid hit by a Corsa has a much greater chance than a kid hit by a Range Rover.
    If you don't like 4x4s or SUVs, fair enough, but I think you're being ever so slightly irrational. I don't like them, but I honestly don't give that much of a shit to start abusing the people who are driving them. It's their choice, no matter how stupid anybody may think them.

Anyone who drives one who doesn't need one is selfish. They're placing other road users and pedestrians at a higher risk...
    Also, a 4x4 doesn't actually take up much more (if at all) space when it comes to its footprint on the road. They're just taller and heavier etc, so it's not like they're blocking the road any more than any other large car.

Yeah. Heavier. Much heavier. That means they drink fuel. Oil is a pretty precious resource... It's a waste of energy to drive a Hummer when you don't need to.
  • Options
    Nobody is saying that. But, anybody with half a brain knows that a kid hit by a Corsa has a much greater chance than a kid hit by a Range Rover.

Let's make this a bit fairer. A kid hit by a Renault Megane Scenic, has a much greater chance of surviving than a kid hit by Range Rover.
  • Options
    Being very blunt - what the hell is wrong with wanting the best for 'their' kids over somebody elses?! ANYBODY would think that way, all the time, when it comes to it. Simple as. You're wrongly applying that to this discussion just because you're a bit upset about 4x4s etc.
    Do you really need to ask that? It highlights selfishness of massive proportions to put other children at greater risk because psychologically you feel your own children are safer (ignoring the fact that they're not actually any safer for passengers than any other car - ever seen a hummer crash?). And it's shown that by people speaking out against these vehicles, and giving them such a stigma, less people are choosing to buy them. What's wrong with that? You don't have to believe things to say them, and for them to have the effect you want, you know.
    I know all about the commercial vehicle thing too. It's a stupid law I know, but there are ways around it (to a point). I claim mileage in my car etc etc, I am just not able to claim the VAT back etc... (Keeping it VERY simple there, I know).
    It's more a problem when you're actually buying the thing in the first place. Anyone with a bit of business sense is going to pick the car that they can claim as a business expense, and therefore have it taken out of their profits, and therefore reduce the amount of tax they have to pay at the end of the year.
  • Options
    Do you really need to ask that? It highlights selfishness of massive proportions to put other children at greater risk because psychologically you feel your own children are safer (ignoring the fact that they're not actually any safer for passengers than any other car - ever seen a hummer crash?).

Nope, as there are so few Hummers on the road. At no point did I say they were actually safer, but as you say, it is psychological, and that is something that runs deep. Attempting to get people to see otherwise is not going to be easy, especially when it comes to their offspring. Calling people selfish for following a natural instinct is just plain stupid and shows either a pig-headed ignorance or just a plain lack of understanding of human nature from yourself.
    And it's shown that by people speaking out against these vehicles, and giving them such a stigma, less people are choosing to buy them. What's wrong with that? You don't have to believe things to say them, and for them to have the effect you want, you know.

Let's put it one way - there is no way I would give a shit about a load of people giving anything a stigma if I wanted to buy it. Life is too short, so who gives a monkeys if people want to get a hair up their arse about what cars people are driving (well, besides you two, of course...)?! People will ALWAYS find something to whinge about - this is the current thing. People are STILL buying the things in large numbers. The main reason for the slowing of sales is actually the rising fuel prices, not beardies whinging.

It's more a problem when you're actually buying the thing in the first place. Anyone with a bit of business sense is going to pick the car that they can claim as a business expense, and therefore have it taken out of their profits, and therefore reduce the amount of tax they have to pay at the end of the year.

I *did* buy my car, but the way I claim it back is slightly different to having to get a commercial vehicle, mainly because I don't use if for commercial purposes, only commuting etc etc. I'm self employed and so have various Government nonsense to deal with too. You are also able to lease vehicles for your business. It's all down to the use, what the business is etc.
    There are plenty of new (and expensive) sensible cars. It's not as if the only 'good' cars are SUVs and 4x4s. Anyway SUVs and 4x4s, especially American imports don't score any higher for reliability and build quality. Indeed, a US made car, some imported monster truck for example would generally have worse reliability/build quality than a similarly priced normal European car.

Ok, for a start, lets not start going international on this. Everyone knows that US cars are shite, so there's no need to bring it up in this instance. To the original point, before you went all yank-car-bashing on us - it's not a case of just having a good car. A big 4x4 is something a lot of people covet, as opposed to a big saloon car. It's something that stands out (yes, they do, even when there are plenty on the roads...), which is not something most saloon cars do! STATUS SYMBOL. That is what it's all about if we're looking at it from this angle. People feel they've reach a 'point' in life when they can afford a big 4x4 - and lets be fair... The big ones are not cheap, so they are generally doing of for themselves!

I don't drive an SUV, nor do I want to drive one, but I do well for myself, and I like to have nice things, including nice cars simply because I can. People can fuck right off if they think they are going to deny me what I want.

Ok, without quoting all of the "how dangerous SUVs are" bits - nobody is denying that SUVs are more dangerous to pedestrians/other road users than other cars, but what cannot be denied is that ALL cars are dangerous. Mobile weapons. It's a case of some are worse than others, but when you have a shitty old car being driven by a 17 year old lad, or a brand new (with new tyres, brake technology etc etc) 4x4 possibly driven by an experienced driver, I would place my large pile of cash that the greater danger is posed by the young driver in the old car. Just because it is big doesn't instantly make it a killer!
    Yeah. Heavier. Much heavier. That means they drink fuel. Oil is a pretty precious resource... It's a waste of energy to drive a Hummer when you don't need to.

Last point I will address now - I get a bit sick of this 'argument'. Yes, it has merit in the sense that they use a fair bit of fuel... But then again, they don't use much more than a Porsche 911 (less, if you count the diesel variants) for example, and so I find this argument a waste of time. ANY luxury car or higher end sports car has a large engine, which will guzzle fuel etc. Seeing as you use the Hummer, which to be fair is a complete an utter waste of space and a symbol of American over excess, I'll quote you some figures shall I?

Take the new VRX8 for example. This car has an official combined consumption of 15.3mpg. Shocking, but it's on my list of cars to buy next, even though it drinks like a fish. OMG, it's not an SUV so nobody will give a shit?!

The BMW M5, 19mpg (Combined), and you won't get anywhere NEAR that in real life...

Now onto the Range Rover Sport:

TDV6 Engine 28.3mpg (Combined)
    TDV8 Engine 25.5mpg (Combined)
    Supercharged V8 17.8 (Combined).

BMW 750Li 24.8 (Combined)

When you actually throw REAL figures into the mix, things don't look as clear cut as "BAD SUV - GOOD EVERYTHING ELSE!!" do they... :yeees:

Remember, we're comparing cars of a similar value range here (VXR8 excepted as it's a fair bit cheaper, but I included it as it has a whacking great engine), so don't be stupid and start quoting Mondeo Diesel figures in response as they're not in the same league. What is clear cut is that it's not quite what many people make out, eh?

As I've said several times (which I don't think you picked up on through the red mist of SUV-hate :lol: ), I don't like the things. What I also don't like is this gung-ho-paint-people-with-that-tarred-brush attitude some people have towards some things, like 4x4s. What I am discussing with you here is your almost extreme views and attitudes, not building a massive defence case for SUVs. Sure, the world could possibly be a better place without them, but lets face it - it ain't going to happen in our lifetime (well, until the oil runs out). When the oil runs out, we're ALL screwed, and it's ain't the fault of just a few people driving larger cars.
  • Options
    I'm trying to sell my car at the mo!

Perfect for learning in or first car, insurance is £30 ish a month 3rd party (directline).

I have a corsa 1.19 merit, P reg (97), grey, 3doors, 48k miles. Interested? I live not far from manchester too, just outside preston.
  • Options
    Suvs suck, everyone knows it.
  • Options
    Im not a fan of the 'small, reliable, economical' cars such as fiesta, corsa, yaris, micra, ka.
    I like something a bit different. But you cant go wrong with jap cars. My K-reg Civic had power steering, electric windows/sunroof, central locking etc etc full service history and VERY reliable and i sold it for £700.

I had a Nova as my first car 6 yrs ago that i modified, cost me about £300, but cost me the same every yr to get it through a damned MOT. Then I got an Escort Cabriolet, a Civic 1.5 16v and now another Escort Cabriolet. I dont want finance or loans so i keep to cars below £2k.

I think its very helpful to drive other cars when you are learning to drive.

My driving instuctor had a 206 diesel and i hated it. But i drove allsorts while i was learning Bmw's, Sierra Cosworth, MR2, Escort Rs Turbo, Astra GSi, Astra GTE, Nova GTE, Escort mk4 and mk5 Xr3i, 106GTi, Fiesta Si & XR2i, Golf GTTDi, Cavalier Sri, Corsa's, Ka's, Mondeo's, Vectra's, Xsara's, 4x4's, people carriers, petrol/diesel/automatic/manual-anything! And there is nothing thatcould have built my confidence like that did!!!
  • Options
    I merely add that I would agree with those who say it's useful to use more than one car when learning to drive. I learnt in a Renault Megane, one of the newest models of that particular car. It had six-speed transmission, power steering and all the fancy gadgets that modern cars have. I'm now driving a Citroen Saxo from 1995 which has almost none of those things. It's quite a different experience, to say the least.
  • Options
    Nope, as there are so few Hummers on the road. At no point did I say they were actually safer, but as you say, it is psychological, and that is something that runs deep. Attempting to get people to see otherwise is not going to be easy, especially when it comes to their offspring. Calling people selfish for following a natural instinct is just plain stupid and shows either a pig-headed ignorance or just a plain lack of understanding of human nature from yourself.
    What would you prefer I call them then? Ignorant of the facts? Unable to engage the rational portion of their brain? If you haven't seen the facts that 4x4's are more dangerous to pedestrians, and no safer to the passengers you're the former (not your fault, but something I'd be more than happy to point out). If you know these facts, yet still buy one anyway because you feel safer in it (an irrational feeling, based on the facts, I'm sure you'll agree) then you're clearly the latter. Either way, it clearly results in behaviour which I would describe as unnecessarily selfish. And when did criticising a behaviour turn into criticising the entire character of anyone carrying out that behaviour?
    Let's put it one way - there is no way I would give a shit about a load of people giving anything a stigma if I wanted to buy it. Life is too short, so who gives a monkeys if people want to get a hair up their arse about what cars people are driving (well, besides you two, of course...)?! People will ALWAYS find something to whinge about - this is the current thing. People are STILL buying the things in large numbers. The main reason for the slowing of sales is actually the rising fuel prices, not beardies whinging.
    It's ironic that your first argument is about the psychological reasons for buying a 4x4, yet your second argument seems to completely dismiss the equally powerful psychological urge to show off one's status, gain social acceptance, and care about how you appear to others. I'm glad that you personally think like that, and I think it would be a far better world if more people did, but I think it's undeniable that social status has a huge influence on most people's choice of car. If you disagree, then explain to me how you can have two identical cars, but a Toyota badge on one, and a Lexus badge on the other (both made by Toyota ironically), and the Toyota one will depreciate in value at over twice the speed? Sell them at the same price, and the Lexus will fly out of the garages at ten times the speed, because it's seen as a more exclusive and luxurious brand. Actually, why do you think the brand Lexus exists in the first place?