Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

SG off to uni - but why?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But would there be opportunities for you back there if you did go away and get a degree first?
    Not a chance. In my area, unless you fancy either (a) working for the council, or (b) sticking your arm up a cow's arse for a living, you are well and truly fucked.

Moving away is an option, but I've long stopped caring about that now. I'll be off in September, and that will be that.
  • Options
    That's what i was saying - if you have to leave where you grew up to go to uni, why not just leave and find a job elsewhere? You won't have all the student debt then, and you said it yourself that you weren't feeling all that excited or motivated by it.
  • Options
    That's what i was saying - if you have to leave where you grew up to go to uni, why not just leave and find a job elsewhere? You won't have all the student debt then, and you said it yourself that you weren't feeling all that excited or motivated by it.

I concur. :)

But also, if you think this will enhance your career opportunities in the future you should definitely give it a go.
  • Options
    Oh, this is such nonsense. "If you have to leave where you grew up to go to uni"... outrageous, isn't it? I mean, people leaving their place of birth to go to university. What a stupid idea. What next, eh? Seriously, come on! I'm hardly the first person to do that. I'm not the radical pioneer that you make me out to be. Proving cynics such as yourself wrong is what drives me forward. I'm gonna go and I'll be a success there. Just you watch me.
  • Options
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Oh, this is such nonsense. "If you have to leave where you grew up to go to uni"... outrageous, isn't it? I mean, people leaving their place of birth to go to university. What a stupid idea. What next, eh? Seriously, come on! I'm hardly the first person to do that. I'm not the radical pioneer that you make me out to be. Proving cynics such as yourself wrong is what drives me forward. I'm gonna go and I'll be a success there. Just you watch me.

What the bloody hell are you on about? 'proving cynics such as yourself wrong' ?! where is she being cynical? all Sara is saying is that if you're not that sure about going to uni, but wanna get out of the place where you yourself said there were no career opportunities unless its working for the council, why not try moving somewhere where there IS career ops, and at the same time moving away from where you grew up? yoiu're so strange sometimes!

although you know, if you do end up going to uni good on ya for saying you're gonna be a success. you're more likely to be if you go with that attitude.
  • Options
    although you know, if you do end up going to uni good on ya for saying you're gonna be a success. you're more likely to be if you go with that attitude.
    I've had enough of failing at everything I try at in my life, frankly. I'm not willing to put up with it anymore. I have no idea whether I'll succeed there, but I'm going to give it a damn good shot.

As for Sa-ra-ra-ra, I do apologise. That was too confrontational of me.
  • Options
    It was very confrontational, especially as the only point I thought she was trying to make is that you don't have to go to uni to leave the place you grew up.

If you think uni is for you, and further education and study is for you and what you want for your future then great. Go to uni.

If you're main objective is to get out of where you grew up then start looking for places that recruit school leavers for training scheme type posts (banks are often good) somewhere that you want to move to and go for that instead. There are other ways to leave your home area than uni.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I've had enough of failing at everything I try at in my life, frankly. I'm not willing to put up with it anymore. I have no idea whether I'll succeed there, but I'm going to give it a damn good shot.

As for Sa-ra-ra-ra, I do apologise. That was too confrontational of me.

That's ok, don't worry.

I didn't mean that i didn't think you could 'do' uni - if that's your decision, then go for it, and have a fantastic time, i certainly did! I just wanted to point out that it's not the *only* way to find work - there is always the possibility of moving away and doing something else, without doing a degree.

Having said that, it sounds like you've made your decision so good luck :) I'm sure you'll have great fun. And potentially go to a couple of lectures and receive an education at the same time :thumb:
  • Options
    If you're main objective is to get out of where you grew up then start looking for places that recruit school leavers for training scheme type posts (banks are often good) somewhere that you want to move to and go for that instead. There are other ways to leave your home area than uni.
    It's not a main objective. It's more of a welcome upside. I don't especially like the area I'm in, I never have done. University's a good option. The fact it gets me out of the area is merely a bonus.

As for the banks, I've seen most of the banks in my local town putting up job adverts recently.