Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Feminism

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my mother went to high court over unfair pay in the 1980's and won! Because of this i've been brought up with a attitude of equality and that i should be incredibly proud to be a woman, which i am, even though I am often made to feel like a sceond class citizen...

I essentialy am a feminist...though i don't like to call myself that because of the fact that the stereo-type of feminists are men hating bra burning, polarised and fixated on a singular outcome.

i do feel that many young women, seem to have either not been taught or have forgotten the importance of being a woman, and that we deserve to be treated with equal respect and all the other things that go with that, but not to be treated like a man. I am physically unable to lift as much as some of my fellow male students. If i have a child, i won't be able to go bakc to work the day after, i will have commitments that i would have to keep as that child grows. companies need to wake up to reality and i also being that the goverment needs to wake up and realise that there are more differences between men and women, but they deserve the same respect...
  • Options
    Can a man be a feminist ? And no, i'm not being flipant :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Can a man be a feminist ? And no, i'm not being flipant :)
    Sure, why not? I consider myself one.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Why are so many young women these days refusing to be called feminists? Especially if they believe in feminist values?

Why is feminism such a loaded word? When if we talk about other civil rights movements, people don't automatically assume that Martin Luther King was a white man hater, or that LGBT campaigners don't hate men?

Why is it that if you talk about feminism, people think of big burly hairy legged dykes burning their bra and emasculating men?
    The word Feminist always sounds one sided to me.
  • Options
    Sure, why not? I consider myself one.

I always thought you were female.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    The word Feminist always sounds one sided to me.

That's 'cause it's a women's rights movement.
  • Options
    I always thought YOU were female!! (you might be but bi/les?)
  • Options
    Story of my thesite membership, since I changed name. :p
    (as in, "Story of my life")
  • Options
    Jomery wrote: »

She is a female.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    She is a female.

Female bodied.
  • Options
    Female bodied.

What gender are you?
  • Options
    Jomery wrote: »

Yes, I think it would be inconsiderate towards women universally if I were straight. :p jk
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    What gender are you?

That's a good question.
  • Options
    That's 'cause it's a women's rights movement.

Well I never!
    I'm for equal opportunities for everyone, so banging on about one sex's rights doesn't appeal to me. Maybe becasue being a woman has never knowingly hindered me.
  • Options
    personally i think a lot of the issues women face regarding children and work would be better served by providing equal paternity and maternity rights at work (at the moment they're different) they should only differ in the recovery time after actually giving birth of course - this would help by shifting attitudes so it would be assumed less that if a woman has a kid that shes going to be the main child carer

:yes:
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Well I never!
    I'm for equal opportunities for everyone, so banging on about one sex's rights doesn't appeal to me. Maybe becasue being a woman has never knowingly hindered me.

Not really... Because women have always been oppressed. If men were oppressed throughout time, if history were written by women, if society were run (entirely) by women then 'masculism' would be an appropriate term to define a movement for the liberation of men, surely.

Surely, if 'Black Power' were called 'People Power', or 'Human Power' then it would have sounded silly. It wasn't about power for white people, or the fact that white people's voices were not heard, it was about black people and advancing their rights.

Whatever feminism is called though, people will always attack the concept that women are equal, either with the biology arguements, or the "well actually, women are already more equal with men! We can't even slap their arses anymore."

You are very fortunate that you've never been held back for being a woman because the majority of women around the world cannot say that.
  • Options
    That's a good question.
    It's easy to find out, just check inside your pants (I'm presuming you've not done anything to whatever is in there). Gender is a purely biological (physical) thing.
  • Options
    It's easy to find out, just check inside your pants (I'm presuming you've not done anything to whatever is in there). Gender is a purely biological (physical) thing.

No it isn't. SEX is biological, GENDER is your self-conception of being male/female/gendergueer/two-spirit/androgyne/other.

They are two different things.
  • Options
    No it isn't. SEX is biological, GENDER is your self-conception of being male/female/gendergueer/two-spirit/androgyne/other.

How do you define someone's gender then? I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that what you're saying is that if someone, say a man, is gay or doesn't want to punch everything in sight his gender is female, which for me is BS.
  • Options
    No, people can sometimes identify with the gender they weren't born with - hence transsexuals.
  • Options
    See though, I think that's just an excuse. IMO gender==sex, your psychology may be far from the stereotype for your sex but that doesn't mean you're the "wrong" sex or anything. It would make no sense.
  • Options
    See though, I think that's just an excuse. IMO gender==sex, your psychology may be far from the stereotype for your sex but that doesn't mean you're the "wrong" sex or anything. It would make no sense.

No it isn't though. Gender isn't exclusively sex, it's about gender identity. There are two very different things. Yes, it has been used to describe biological sex, but it is usually used to describe something a lot deeper.

A short thingy on gender
  • Options

Why not?
  • Options
    No it isn't though. Gender isn't exclusively sex, it's about gender identity. There are two very different things. Yes, it has been used to describe biological sex, but it is usually used to describe something a lot deeper.

A short thingy on gender
    By contrast, gender refers to a set of qualities and behaviors expected from a female or male by society.
    (emphasis mine)

So it's like I said. You might not think that someone being gay makes them the wrong gender, but whatever you do think does that is based on what is "expected by society". Same principle.
    Why not?
    Do you think nature would (could) make you tall and give you a short body? Or that it would (could) make you a blonde and give you dark hair? I don't think that's possible. Same as with nature making you a woman and giving you a male body or the other way around.
  • Options
    Do you think nature would (could) make you tall and give you a short body? Or that it would (could) make you a blonde and give you dark hair? I don't think that's possible. Same as with nature making you a woman and giving you a male body or the other way around.

But gender bias is controlled hormonally, whereas hair colour by and large isn't.
  • Options
    And the hormones depend on your sex, don't they?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

gen·der (jndr)
    n.
    1. Grammar
    a. A grammatical category used in the classification of nouns, pronouns, adjectives, and, in some languages, verbs that may be arbitrary or based on characteristics such as sex or animacy and that determines agreement with or selection of modifiers, referents, or grammatical forms.
    b. One category of such a set.
    c. The classification of a word or grammatical form in such a category.
    d. The distinguishing form or forms used.
    2. Sexual identity, especially in relation to society or culture.
    a. The condition of being female or male; sex.
    b. Females or males considered as a group: expressions used by one gender.
    tr.v. gen·dered, gen·der·ing, gen·ders
    To engender.

Nothing about self conception there.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    2. Sexual identity, especially in relation to society or culture.

Yes there is :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    And the hormones depend on your sex, don't they?

Yes they do.
    Biology affects the way we think. I don't see what the problem is in admitting that there are difference between the sexes, both biological and psychological?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    In any case, if someone thinks they're the "wrong" gender because of society (as it all seems to say) it's society who's at fault, not nature.