Homeโ€บ Neurodivergence
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

SENSORY JOY! ๐ŸŒˆ

ellaella Community Manager Posts: 84 Budding Regular
edited April 9 in Neurodivergence
Last week was Autism Day of Acceptance and we honoured it by celebrating all types of sensory joy! ๐ŸŒˆ :star:

Have we missed anything? Comment below!

Alt Text:
Illustrated instragram post with the words "sensory joy" in the middle of 22 illustrations of the following examples of "sensory joy":

the sound of rain, listening to music, swimming , spicy food, stroking a pet, fizzy drinks , weighted blanket
the feel of pebbles, bubble tea, tangle, bubble tea, clean bedding, watching fire, the colours of the rainbow, hugs, bath bombs, citrus smells, flapping hands, slime, teddies, grass, drawing, star lamps

mtly31deq7wn.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,019 Wise Owl
    If tangle is what I think it is, then I hate it so much!! Dunno if its a feature of this thing, but the one I had you couldn't straighten it out in any way! It was infuriating to fidget with xD

Also looking at the image, I wouldn't recommend hugging a cactus... no 'joy' to be had there. Just saying

These things:
    mq37rebyzdva.jpeg
    I know what you mean about not being able to straighten it out ๐Ÿ˜‚ Iโ€™ve got a really old one that just pops apart too lol
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    If tangle is what I think it is, then I hate it so much!! Dunno if its a feature of this thing, but the one I had you couldn't straighten it out in any way! It was infuriating to fidget with xD

Also looking at the image, I wouldn't recommend hugging a cactus... no 'joy' to be had there. Just saying

Omg I used to have a tangle toy I don't know where I out it though xd. It's somewhere. I threw it once and it disappeared ๐Ÿ˜‚ took me ages to find.

I get you they are not good at being stretchy. I had the one which broke off kind of like lego and you could rebuild it and stuff. Speaking of hugging cacti and a cactus my local neurodiveristy hub that supports adults actually sells merchandise I think and t shirt with the slogan "I don't do hugs" and it got a prickly catcus on the front xd. I don't know if they still sell the shirts...it kind of makes me wish I got one earlier on (except they were only sold in white and I wanted a black version of it haha).

For me @Ella my knitting or crochet is kind of sensory because of the different fibres and yarns I can play around with and experiment. It's like visual stimulation for me.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster

These things:
    mq37rebyzdva.jpeg
    I know what you mean about not being able to straighten it out ๐Ÿ˜‚ Iโ€™ve got a really old one that just pops apart too lol

Oh you won't believe the urge I had to rip mine apart to bits xD

(Also wtf is 'Tangle the Lemur'?? How many sonic characters there are that I havent ever heard of before lol...)
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    edited April 19
    Amy22 wrote: ยป
    Speaking of hugging cacti and a cactus my local neurodiveristy hub that supports adults actually sells merchandise I think and t shirt with the slogan "I don't do hugs" and it got a prickly catcus on the front xd. I don't know if they still sell the shirts...it kind of makes me wish I got one earlier on (except they were only sold in white and I wanted a black version of it haha).

Oh I didn't think of that. That's pretty cool though. Personally I really want to get myself a shirt someday that reads 'free hugs' :lol: but this makes me think that if it also had a cactus on it it would be so much funnier haha

Edit: OMG those are actually a thing!!

This one is especially funny tho:
    A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C813zHSVcMuL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_UY1000_.png
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    Amy22 wrote: ยป
    Speaking of hugging cacti and a cactus my local neurodiveristy hub that supports adults actually sells merchandise I think and t shirt with the slogan "I don't do hugs" and it got a prickly catcus on the front xd. I don't know if they still sell the shirts...it kind of makes me wish I got one earlier on (except they were only sold in white and I wanted a black version of it haha).

Oh I didn't think of that. That's pretty cool though. Personally I really want to get myself a shirt someday that reads 'free hugs' :lol: but this makes me think that if it also had a cactus on it it would be so much funnier haha

Edit: OMG those are actually a thing!!

This one is especially funny tho:
    A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C813zHSVcMuL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_UY1000_.png

Haha that t shirt is amazing!!!. I need it so much. I love the idea of a t shirt saying free hugs, I think that would be really fun to wear because you get free hugs from people. Oo speaking of fidget toys, I have got one of those popper toys and I saw a video where someone utilised the popper as a row/stitch counter for crochet and I really want to use mine for that now. It's also a bonus for my neurodiverse brain as well that keep focused for just one second. Except my popper is not big enough and its a rainbow themed one and only got so many holes to pop. I might be on the lookout for those giant ones too!!!.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films