Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Would you save a loved one's life by breaking the law?

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
Would you save a loved one's life by breaking the law? Does it make you a bad person?
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Kate_20

There has been a study conducted by Kohlberg called the Heinz dilemma which sounds similar to this question. You may find it interesting to read? In my opinion I do not think it makes you a bad person to save a loved ones life by breaking the law, it shows the love and compassion you have for them, the fact you would do whatever it takes to save them.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    edited April 2022
    I guess it depends which you value more - following the law or saving a life. Maybe it also depends on which law you're breaking. Stealing something or parking somewhere illegally to save a life is very different to taking a life to save a life, for example. 😜

Either way I don't think anyone would call you a bad person for saving a life, and I'm a big believer that whether you're a good or bad person at your core is bigger than one decision you make.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    @Mike It doesn't involve killing people or physically hurting people. Neither does it involve stealing or overspeed driving.
    Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
    Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
    El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
  • LeilaLeila Posts: 2,064 Boards Champion
    personally, I wouldn't as breaking the law gets you into more trouble, but If saving a loved ones life that means not breaking the law then yes, seems selfish but I would rather be able to help my family members then getting into trouble and not being able to support them, It seems selfish but I would take considerate care and I would think about what I am doing before making rash decisions, sorry If it seems selfish, I'd rather be able to be there for them, because I'd rather be free and be able to give them the support then them seeing me in trouble, as that isn't a good life to go into, as breaking the law causes so many mental health issues and it just causes stress for you and family members who you are wanting to support, that's my opinion.

Leila
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I know this question is from a couple of weeks ago, but I think it's such an insightful one and really makes us consider our own sense of morality, and more so, how do we feel the law and morality work together? Are laws always just and fair? Certainly not. Plus I reckon if you're presented with a situation where you know for a fact that someone you love will die if you do not do one bad thing then you're likely not to even think of the consequences and just act to save them xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Yes. Legality and morallity often don't align.
    If somebody in extreme proverty is struggling to feed their kids then I would have no problem in them stealing food for instance.
    Weekender Offender 
  • OwlOwl Posts: 109 The Mix Convert
    yes, i would pay for a drive-thru with my phone with the engine running to save a loved one dying from a lack of maccies for legal purposes no
    my real answer is its all about balance. i think if the harm done is less than the good done it's alright, but if you were actually in the situation of having to break the law to save a loved one you might draw the line somewhere different like every boring generic film villain who kills hundreds of people because they love their daughter or whatever
    could i have fit that on one post? yes. would it get my post count up as much? no xoxo
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Owl wrote: »
    could i have fit that on one post? yes. would it get my post count up as much? no xoxo

You’ll be on 15,000 post in no time 🙂
    Weekender Offender 
    it'll only take me a year and 10 months at this rate!!!

and everybody said id never need maths in real life x