Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Voting age

Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
Hello I need to know the reasons why the voting age needs to be lowered to age 16 in all countries so young people can be involved in politics.

Comments

• Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    This is an interesting debate point @Sholay09 - I think I am generally in favour of reducing the voting age in the UK to 16 for a number of reasons. I think primarily that you are allowed to join the army at 16, and if you can make such a decision at that age, then you are mature enough to be voting. I also see there being quite a few issues that impact 16 year olds which they don't currently get a say on. If you look back to the tuition fee rise, there were a lot of 16/17 year olds who were impacted by that change that weren't able to vote in the election that led to that. I can't really see a downside to engaging people in democracy, I wonder if it is worth also considering what the arguments against may be, as you can then often work out what the counter points are to that. I'd be interested to hear other people's views on this...
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.