Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Showering

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
How often should you shower a week, anxiety stops me.
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    Hi @ellie2000

You do not need to put pressure on yourself to shower, I understand it can be a struggle when dealing with mental health problems. Do whatever you feel comfortable with and can manage :)

However, this is what is recommended;
    There's no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Many doctors say a daily shower is fine for most people. (More than that could start to cause skin problems.) But for many people, two to three times a week is enough and may be even better to maintain good health.

Hope this helps <3
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @ellie2000

Thanks for reaching out for support. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out. Would you like to expand on why your anxiety stops you?

Also, what a great question! I can see that @daisyella12 and @Zay have already provided you with some wonderful answers.

Please do just say if you need anything to be clearer or if you have any other questions. We will more than happily help if we can! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
    i stll feel like i being abused even though im away from those ppl
    Crazy mad insane
    Hi @ellie2000

I am really sorry to hear you are experiencing that. It must be really challenging for you to feel that way. I can imagine it is a reminder that you don't want.

Would you like to expand on how you are feeling? Do you have a list of activities that can help you to feel safe and comfortable when you are feeling like this? For me, it would look like grounding activities, listening to music, having a warm bath, and watching comfort TV (usually The Simpsons!).

We are here for you if you would like to talk to us about this, and so are Childline (https://www.childline.org.uk/). You are being so brave in reaching out for support! <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey @ellie2000, trauma affects us all differently, so please don't put any further pressure on yourself, you're doing the best you can with the circumstances you've been dealt, and that's pretty amazing in itself.

Do you have anything you love to do that can help distract you when the feelings become overwhelming? I also just wanted to check in and see how things are going with turning point and any other services you've accessed? Have they managed to get back to you, and are they providing you with any support on these feelings? <3
    turning point sed they would call once a month. i play games like 'lumino city' 'baby in yellow' 'fishdom' nd 'happy wheels' i felt the shadow of death was lingering over last week on monday. i didnt ring family
    Crazy mad insane
    i still hav a heavy lod on my mind, how do i get rid of it?
    Crazy mad insane
    do i need more help than a phone call a week
    Crazy mad insane
    i had a shower, it worked. im happy :)
    Crazy mad insane
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey @ellie2000 - you are doing really well in opening up to us here, it can be really tough to keep reaching out when things feel heavy but it can be helpful to share with people you trust that you are finding things tough.

It sounds like you have a few things you do that help you distract yourself, do any of those games help clear your mind a bit? It may be worth next time you speak to turning point to see if they can give you some ideas of things to help you when it feels like this? There are some online tools that Childline have that are quite good at distraction, you may like the wall of expression where you can create your worries on a wall, and then knock them down with a hammer.

It's also important to remind yourself that trauma is a tricky thing to work through and it can take time. The fact that you are keeping going and working through it all shows how strong you are. There are services that will listen and talk things through with you if you ever feel you need it, in particular, you may find some of the following helpful:
    * Rape Crisis provide a helpline for anyone affected by sexual assault or rape, you can call them on 0808 802 9999. They are open every day from 12-14.30 and 19.00-21.30
    * NAPAC - Provide support for anyone abused in childhood, you can call them on 0808 801 0331
    *Crisis Messenger - Our crisis messenger text service provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK. If you’re aged 25 or under, you can text THEMIX to 85258.
    * Papyrus - If you are having thoughts of suicide, you can contact HOPELINEUK for confidential support and practical advice. You can call them on 0800 068 4141 or text them on 07786209697.
    * Samaritans are reachable by phone and email 24/7. Whatever you're going through, you can call them any time, from any phone on 116 123.
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

@ellie2000 How are you finding turning point? I know you've had problems with them recently! I think it's wonderful that you've got some distractions in place for when the thoughts get overwhelming, that's a wonderful step! I know it can be hard to cope with these thoughts though, so please know that there are so many services out there for you if you ever need (The Samaritans 116 123, SHOUT 85258). Do you feel able to talk about it here? This is always a safe space for you to let out any feelings you have, or even vent to yourself if that's what helps you. If you feel able to talk through what's overwhelming you, we're here for you.

Well done for managing to shower, that's so incredible!
    I find txt is easier than tlk xx
    Crazy mad insane
    Once or twice a week? Shower, bath on Sunday
    Crazy mad insane
    @ellie2000 That's understandable, have you been able to tell them that you'd prefer to text or is it a set call every month? Has any other services been in contact with you as well? Whatever you can manage is amazing, some weeks will be easier than others, but even if you just manage to have a wash in the sink is amazing, every step you make, no matter how small, is amazing, particularly when struggling with trauma <3
    A set call every month, I got LT frm HMN every week Nd the seminar
    Crazy mad insane
    I'm sorry 4 my feelings come out. is it gd
    Crazy mad insane
    @ellie2000 How is it all going with these different services? Are you feeling like they're supporting you? Please don't apologise, your feelings are always valid, and it's important that you get these out when you need to, we're always here for you if you need to vent or talk about anything <3
    Hi @ellie2000

Sorry to hear you have been struggling. I am glad you are able to recognise that you were finding it tough and spend some time playing games that you enjoy as one potential coping mechanism. You were also really brave in reaching out to us for support. I think you will have a gut instinct into how much support you may need. How are you feeling at the moment? <3
    iffy :(
    Crazy mad insane
    Hi @ellie2000

Thanks for your response. I am sorry to hear you are feeling iffy. Do you want to talk about why you are feeling iffy? Please remember we are here for you and listening to you :)
    i insult my friends which aint gd
    Crazy mad insane
    @ellie2000 I'm sorry to hear you're feeling iffy. Do you find it easy to communicate your feelings to your friends? Or does this often come out in a way that you feel is insulting to them?
    i find it easy but as i stuck inside bc im scared of society, i say 'zoomzooomzoom' or 'for god sake answer' but they dont, tht gets me frustrated.
    Crazy mad insane
    @ellie2000 I understand. It's understandable that being stuck inside means you become more frustrated by things. When you say you're scared of society, can you explain a little more about what about society makes you feel scared to leave the house?
    bad ppl mite come after me, still wound up :(
    Crazy mad insane
    @ellie2000 It sounds like the thought of leaving is quite terrifying for you. I'm really sorry that's the case. When you say you're feeling wound up, what do you mean by that?
    i got no weekly voice anymore, to train me to deal with emotions. stupid tory nhs bs. at least the draco Malfoy wont b in charge of the country soon we hope
    Crazy mad insane
    @ellie2000 It’s so difficult nowadays with the government cutting funding to mental health services. Please don’t give up though, if you need to vent, always know we’re here, we’ll be here to listen and support you. There’s also always SHOUT (85258) or The Samaritans (116 123) if you want to talk to someone about difficult feelings and emotions. We all care about you, and you deserve support!
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @ellie2000 It is completely different for everybody, as everyone has different skin types, hair types, time slots etc. For me personally, I shower three times a week and four in the summer. My hair is unbelievably dry, it's horrid! However, my skin is very oily. Some people I know have a quick shower every day, others wash their hair every day but shower every other day, others only shower once a week- it just shows you that everyone's showering routine is different!