Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

PMU RAF

Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
Ugh. I hate to say it. But I've been made PMU for the RAF. That means permanently medically unfit in the royal air force.

It fucking sucks.

And the reasons suck even more. God. It's shit.

Diagnosed with POTS in July 2021 apparently. But cardiologist has written me a letter of support stating I'm fit and healthy.

Mental health issues from 2010-16 (depression and anxiety) but my CAMHS files stated I wasn't depressed or have anxiety. Says I was diagnosed with emotionally unstable personality traits in March 2021 but I was never ever told this and don't even think I saw a GP back then.

I had a history of eczema which literally was caused by my living environment and cleared up when I went into care.

Fucking hell. So literally because I was abused and neglected it caused me issues and now I can't fucking do what I want to do with my life. Why the fuck does this shit happen to me??

I'm going to be appealing the decision. I'm gathering everything I need, I've contacted my GP who is happy to write a letter of appeal for me, I'll get the letter of appeal from my cardiologist and I'm going to go through my CAMHS files and find everything I need to appeal.

Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.
               (_)
                |
           ()---|---()
                |
                |
         __     |     __
        |\     /^\     /|
          '..-'   '-..'
            `-._ _.-`
                `

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Anch0r33

I am so sorry. I always believe people can achieve what they want in life because they should be able to :'(

Best of luck with the appeal! I hope the appeal goes through.

If not, I am so sorry.

If there's anything we can do to support you, please just let us know.

Sending you big virtual hugs <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Thanks @Laura_tigger82 it's just so disappointing.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    It is disappointing @Anch0r33 especially as it is something you have been aiming towards and hoping for :/

Acknowledge and feel all your emotions but also keep in mind that this is not necessarily the final result! <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    this is so awful for you, I'm so sorry they're putting you through this, especially because as you say, after experiencing such difficult things throughout your life, when you finally have the chance to make choices for yourself and be freer from things that weigh you down, you're prevented from doing so, this is beyond unfair and you do not deserve this :( Huge luck in terms of the appeal, and big well done for continuing to make alternative efforts to continue down the path you want! How have you been feeling about it all in the last few days? <3 xx
    I was just about to ask the same question <3

Hey @Anch0r33, how have things been for you more recently? :3
    Hey @AislingDM and @laura_tigger82

Honestly it's been tough, I don't think my appeal will be overturned but I'm gonna give it a try. Been working away on my essay for theatre class which has been occupying me a lot.

Also have an unwell rat so there's that.

Just taking it day by day and hopefully we'll get there eventually
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Hi @Anch0r33

I am sorry to hear things have been tough for you. Well done for continuing to plod on through even in the face of adversity.

You continue to show such determination, persistence, and resilience. You deserve some happiness so I hope it is overturned.

Do you have any backup plans if it is not overturned though? What else would you like to do after your studies?

Theatre class sounds great fun! Well done for working away on your essay. I am glad it has been keeping you occupied. It sounds like such a positive outlet.

I am sorry to hear about your rat too. Has your rat got the things they need to feel better now? I hope they feel better soon! Unwell animals (and especially pets) can always be upsetting.

Keep going! And remember we are here for you as an ear <3
    @Laura_tigger82 I'm still gonna try and join the full reserves after uni. By that time it'll hopefully be a long, clear health run for me but we'll see!

I'm interested in teaching but it just doesn't excite me as much as it used to. I'll have a look about.

Yeah he's been to emergency vets and regular vets. He was treated for an upper respiratory infection however it's now thought to be heart disease so it's just trying to keep him medicated, comfortable and happy. He's a wee soul.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • JoeJoe Moderator, Staff Posts: 26 Boards Initiate
    @Anch0r33 thanks for talking about this, hope the messages here help.

It sounds like you know the whole armed forces side of things but with teacher have you look at? https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/. Loads of information and help there. What subjects would you teach?

Let us know how you get on with both the appeal and looking into teaching.
    @Joe I'd want to do primary school teaching. I might see the reserve army requirements, it's just disappointing as I've spent the past few years learning and preparing myself for the RAF :(
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Hi @Anch0r33

Don't give up on your dreams. Keep trying.

Having a backup plan doesn't mean you have to give up on your long-term dream.

It just means you have a safety net and something else to aim for if your longer-term dream can't happen or at least not straight away.

Have you had any work experience in a primary school? For example, as a teaching assistant?

I appreciate it is not quite the same as being a teacher but it may give you a clear picture of what it would be like to work in a primary school with some classroom responsibilities.

Aww, bless your rat. I hope your rat is medicated, comfortable, and happy :3
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I love that despite how much disappointment you're facing, you are continuing to try your hardest to think positively and about how you can try to make this work for you in the future, even if it can't be right now! You are such a kind and compassionate person, who would certainly be an asset to any team, let alone the RAF! Hopefully, the regulations will also change as the years go on, in which they begin to acknowledge the complexity of mental health needs when making selection choices <3