Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to 'ignore' another member

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited December 2021 in Help Desk
On the discussion boards, you can add people to your ignore list. Ignoring someone will:
  1. Hide their posts, requiring you to click on them to read them (like a spoiler)
  2. Disable notifications triggered by that member (e.g. if they comment on one of your threads)
  3. Prevent them from sending you private messages

Here's what someone's posts will look like when you ignore them:

vs6cav78dmg2.jpg

To ignore someone, go to their profile > click the arrow in the upper right > select ignore

495byaw5iymv.jpg

Why should I add someone to my ignore list?

The Mix moderators recommend ignoring someone if:
  • You don't get on with them
  • You can't talk to each other in a respectful way (this is ok!)
  • You find their posts difficult to read, upsetting or triggering
  • Ignoring them makes it easier for you to use the community

Is it a bad thing to add someone to my ignore list?

We encourage you to ignore anyone you need to. It doesn't make you a bad person; you're doing a responsible and healthy thing by avoiding potential arguments or harm to yourself.

If you ignore someone, don't announce it or tell them. All it does is make people uncomfortable. It's fine to ignore someone, but keep it to yourself - nobody else needs to know.

What if they get annoyed at me for adding them to my ignore list?

Nobody has to talk to talk to anyone else on The Mix community. If someone thinks you've ignored them and they give you a hard time, report the post and the moderators will deal with it.

I think someone added me to their ignore list and I feel upset

You never know if someone has added you to their ignore list. There are a lot of reasons someone might not respond to your post and most of them are super normal - they could be busy, not know what to say, etc.

If someone is consistently not talking to you, try not to take it personally. They may be doing this to avoid triggers or because they're not in the headspace to read certain things or talk to certain people.

It might not be because of anything you've done, and even if it is, they don't have to talk to you if they don't want to. If it's bothering you, it might be best not to engage with their posts at all or drop us a PM.
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
Tagged:

Comments