Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Having trouble finding a job

Past UserPast User Recovering🥀LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Tagged:

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @zaynab_5

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out.

What is a good sign is your dedication and persistence.

You are using all of the websites I would recommend (especially Indeed).

Unfortunately, summer jobs will be very competitive at the moment.

Are there other types of jobs you would consider? Once you get into university, there will likely be lots of causal and student jobs available if that provides some reassurance.

The only things I can suggest within summer jobs are to target your CV to the individual post and to keep trying!

By targeting your CV I mean to put the job criteria and description in a document. Based on this, you can highlight and annotate it according to the points you have fulfilled based on your experiences and studying.

I hope this helps <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    Hi @zaynab_5

Oh no. I am really sorry to hear about this :/

The only other thing I can recommend is any local job pages you may have! Obviously, I don't know what these could be but if you type in your area and jobs you may find some :)

There may also be jobs advertised in local shop windows if you are out and about exploring too! :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    zaynab_5 wrote: »
    So basically, in the summer holidays this year, I've tried applying to as many jobs as possible. I used the websites indeed, reed and neuvoo. I received emails saying that they couldn't take my application any further and I was so disappointed that I couldn't get a job for the summer, it would've been extremely helpful for me.

I'm trying to look for a job right now, this time I've been applying to the actual company websites, and they still reply with the same thing. I really need it to have my own independence. I don't really get pocket money anymore, and I really want to save up for useful things such as driving lessons, buying a car, university etc.

Are there any websites, platforms, or anything that will help me look for a job (based in London), and they'd consider my application? How can I look for a job and secure one?

Any advice on this would be helpful thanks :)

Hey :) I've been through the same process, it's a very tough job market at the moment so I can understand it's a very challenging time. Quite a lot of my friends are in the same position as you. I try to help them out with careers stuff, interview practice, CVs etc where I can. It's great to hear that you strive for independence, I think a job (and even this process) helps to start you on that path!

Honestly, as things are, you're going to straight rejections at least 80% of the time. There's a huge backlog in job applicants because of the trilogy of lockdowns we've had, especially in London. Also, a lot of companies have had a tough financial year, so many have cut their intakes/vacanies for efficiency and cost-cutting. I don't mean to put a downer on things, but I think it's best to be honest about the situation.

Websites/Platforms

It's good that you've used those job sites - lots of listings to be found on there. I would highly recommend looking on LinkedIn - I had a couple interviews with firms on there, and you've also got an Easy Apply option which made the application process a lot simpler.

What industries or types of roles are you looking for? Some very generous people have set up websites that track the application dates and requirements for certain sectors (e.g. finance), so it's worth keeping an eye out for those to see if there's particular roles you look for.

I'd also really recommend having a look at the Civil Service - they have lots of roles across many different departments, across all levels of experience. The Fast Stream is highly competitive, but you also have hundreds of other positions to scan through. You can also get a very decent pension and good progression, and it's a top employer in the UK so well worth having a look.

Applications

I'm not sure if you went to uni, but if you did I think many will still allow you to use their Careers service. You can book in some time with them to go over interview practice, CVs etc. If not, there are still other resources you can use - either getting a friend/family member to look it over for you, using the companies core values in your application, and practicing interview techniques with friends, family, or even practice groups through social media.

Judging by your response, it seems like the main barrier is getting past the initial application stage, so it sounds like that's your CV that needs a looking over. If there is an option for a cover letter, always include that. There's some very good templates online that I used and they helped me a lot!

There are also things you can do in the meantime to boost your application. It's quite likely that an interview would ask what you've been doing at the moment, if you aren't in education, work or other training. Volunteering is a great way to bridge that gap, build some skills and build your CV up, if you don't already do it! I'd also suggest looking at some key skills that your target roles may require, because you can use services like OpenLearn and LinkedIn Learning to upskill. These will prepare you better for your role when you get accepted, but are also things you can add to your CV and mention in an interview.

Misc

Some people (myself included) opted to look outside London. Since London is ultra-competitive at the moment, many people will overlook some great opportunities outside the capital. It's not for everyone, but might be worth considering, and some aren't even too far. (e.g. some Tesco corporate roles are in Welwyn Garden City).

It might also help to broaden the types of roles you look for. Certain sectors are notoriously difficult to enter, but going for a slightly different role might give you a better chance of getting your foot in the door, and then you can transfer afterwards once you have a bit of experience and some money coming in. Again, not for everyone, but worth considering.

There's probably more information, but that's what I can come up with at the moment. Hope some of it helps. It's a very tough market, so don't be disheartened - rejections can feel personal but they're not necessarily an indicator that you're a bad candidate. Keep persevering, and fingers crossed you'll get your chance. Do let me know how it goes, I'd love to hear how you get on! <3
    edited December 2021
    Hi @zaynab_5

Is there other transport which takes you there quicker? Could you go with someone to be safer?

Also, @Azziman seems to have more words of wisdom than I ever could have given!

Hopefully, there's something which helps you and you can find something. I am wishing you all the best of luck :)

If there is anything at all I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask <3
    Oh, the joys of having so many factors to weigh up against each other, hey @zaynab_5! I know the feeling, I had a very similar calculation to do myself not long ago :)

Keep trying and hopefully, you will find something which matches all your criteria :)
    You are welcome @zaynab_5 :3

If I find any other tips up my sleeve, I will be sure to let you know <3