Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Post of the Month(s) Voting!

Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
edited November 2021 in General Chat
Thanks so much for your nominations for September and October POTM, there are some great posts here!
Don't forget to nominate any posts you like over the month and they'll be entered in next months voting :sunglasses:

Winner will be announced Friday 12th Novemeber, so get voting quick!

Here are the nominations! You can either click the links to the post or open the spoilers to read. Congrats to all those nominated ✨

1. @Isabelle reply to "I'm so short :("
Hi @zaynab_5

I understand how you feel about your height and how it affects your mental health, self-esteem, etc. You've done a great job sharing out your feelings on here, well done. We are all here to support you on the Mix community! I hope that you share your feelings out with your parents/ friends/ siblings or anyone that you're close to as it's important to nurture open communication and authenticity between you and the people around you. It also can help you feel better about yourself and the situation. It helps you release the emotions you have pent up inside.

Your genes are the major determinant of how tall you'll be. Scientists estimate that about 80 percent of an individual’s height is determined by the DNA sequence variants they have inherited. The other 20 percent of an individual's height is determined by environmental factors such as nutrition. Your height can be predicted based on how tall your parents are. Your own height is said to end up somewhere based on the average heights between your two parents.

However, you should not give up! Nutrition plays a very important role in growth. There are several foods that help with increasing height:
1. Beans (this is a very good source of protein)
2. Chicken (it is high in vitamin B12, a water-soluble vitamin that’s crucial when it comes to growing taller)
3. Almonds (they’re high in fiber, manganese, and magnesium)
4. Yoghurt (it has probiotics and research shows that probiotics can help increase growth)
5. Potatoes (they're rich in vitamin A, which can improve bone health and help you grow taller)
6. Eggs (they contain a wealth of vitamins and minerals necessary for growth, including vitamin D)
7. Berries (such as blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries, are all brimming with important nutrients)
8. Milk (cow’s milk can stimulate increased growth)

You can also try exercises. This is one of the best ways to increase height. There are exercises you can try:
1. Jumping exercises (It supports the conditioning of the muscles and joints of the lower body and improves the height of the body)
2. Downward pose (it helps in strengthening the entire back and elongates your back muscles)
3. Side planks (it gives a good stretch to your legs making them slimmer and grow taller)
4. Hanging (Hanging your body with the support of your hands does help you stretch out your muscles)
5. Single leg hopping (it plays a huge role in strengthening your abdominal muscles)
6. Side stretch (it will make the muscles grow and make them elongated as well)
7. Toe lifts (It is one of the best height increasing practices and gives better results than most other exercises)
8. Skipping (The more you skip the more likely you will succeed in making your legs longer)

Sleep is also very important for you to maintain your height. Growth hormone is normally released during sleep. If someone consistently gets too little sleep (known as "sleep deprivation"), growth hormone is suppressed. Lack of sleep also can affect other hormones. You should at least get eight to nine hours of sleep to keep a nutritious and healthy lifestyle.

I hope I was of much help! :3<3

2. @Laura_tigger82 reply to "A&E is not a good place for MH"
@Kate_20,

I am so sorry to hear you are feeling this way. From your message, I hear that you are feeling this way because you feel you need to escape from your feelings of uncertainty. Would this be an appropriate assumption? Would you like to tell me more about how you are feeling? Please don't be ashamed that you are needing support. We all need support sometimes (myself included!). The most important thing is that you have got the support you need. I know it is scary but keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will find out in time. In the meantime, if you need to contact Samaritans or Papyrus, I have listed their details below:

Samaritans (24/7):

Call 116 123
Email jo@samaritans.org

Papyrus (2pm - midnight):

Call 0800 068 41 41
Email pat@papyrus-uk.org

3. @independent_ reply to "Depressed"
" Hey @Anch0r33 I’m sorry to hear you’re still struggling. Don’t beat yourself up about the self harm, I know how hard that is to deal with. Anything in particular making you feel low at the moment or just the same as before?

4. @kat reply to " i feel like no one listens"
Hiya @strawberry26

I just want you to know that I have listened <3

I completely understand where you are coming from. I think it's natural to want to be truly listened to and I agree it can be so disheartening when you don't feel like this is happening. A lot of time people can seem dismissive when it's just the case that they don't know how to properly react to the situation. So please know it is nothing that you are doing wrong, trying to talk about things is actually such a brave and positive thing to do.

I agree with @tyty21 that it is a good idea to speak to a professional or maybe somebody at school. Maybe a teacher you can confide in or a wellbeing person if your school has one, about your fear of sickness and your fear of isolating yourself as these are things you should not have to deal with alone. You can get help and you do deserve help.

Remember there are always plenty of people on the mix who are here to listen to you. You are important and you are listened to. Sending hugs your way <3

5. @awesomeminecraft6789 thread "Dear past self"
Hi guys

So the question I've asked myself many times before is if I could go back in time to meet my past self what would I say?

The first thing I'd probably say is just because people bully you and treat you badly doesn't particularly mean that your a bad person it just means that they have varied opinions on you and it might be because they remind you of something about themselves

The second thing I'd say is don't let everything get to your head especially the bad stuff don't think about the bad think about the good and you won't stop talking considering I used to love to talk hell I used to love school but due to everything people said getting to my head and me thinking I'm a bad person and trash it changed me

The third thing I'd say is you ARE loved no matter what Because of everything that happened and what happened recently I keep thinking people don't love me it got even worse after the break up but I met some really cool people and they both gave me hope in love again and I'm actually with one of them now and I can't be happier this new one has really made me come out of my shell and actually saved me so I want to thank that person you have really saved my life and helped me finally open up and trust people again ❤️

But now I wanna here from you guys if you were sitting in a room with your past self what would you say? This doesn't have to just be for people like me who have gone through hell it can be anyone who has something in there past that theyve said something they regret or anything they wished they'd done better if they could do it again? I just wanted to make a nice thread for anyone who wants to rid something off their mind from back then I hope you guys like this thread ❤️

Post of the Month(s) Voting! 7 votes

@isabelle - I'm so short :(
71%
AzzimanGreenTeaDurhamjaideAva16Adam_S 5 votes
@laura_tigger82 - A&E is not a good place for MH
0%
@independent_ - Depressed
0%
@kat - i feel like no one listens
14%
AislingDM 1 vote
@awesomeminecraft6789 - Dear past self