Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Whats the difference of wanting to drop out and just needing a kick up the a***?

DistractionDistraction Posts: 449 Listening Ear
edited March 27 in Work & Study
How do you know the difference from when you don't want to be in education anymore to when you can't be arsed and just need to push on with it.

I'm in college and fed up with it, like really done with it, I say that I stick with it to keep the peace at home until I'm where I want to be (which should be within the year)

Although I do find the product design course kinda interesting but I just can't seem to focus and I really hate it at times. I already have a qualification at the same level and would rather be earning money by going full time at my part time job but it might come in handy later down the line, it would be like a third back up plan.

I kinda know deep down that I should probably finish it but am I just wasting my time and money.

where I hope to go, I can get a degree.

My main reason for continuing it is to make someone else happy. However it would still benefit me as well.

So I don't know.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    I think a lot of people have periods where they are fed up with education, that's quite normal because of how demanding it can be. What level education are you? Leaving education is a really big step, but it sounds like you're looking to work full-time so there's another plan in place which is good. Ultimately, it's a very personal choice, depending on what you want to do, how much time/money you've already spent on it etc. I'd definitely speak to people about this to see their opinion - maybe if you can find someone else who's taken a similar decision and talk to them about their experience of it, that could help to decide what you do next x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    @Distraction
    I only recently left education as i finished my degree in june of this year and I can certainly emphaseize with what you're feeling. There were times when I really was not enjoying my course and just wanted to give it all up. It is a very personal choice of whether you drop out of education and it can be very daunting to suddenly leave.
    I think that the difference between needing motivation and wanting to drop out is the length of the feeling. Sometimes you can get burn out form education and all you need is rest. But if this feeling consist, then it could be wise to look at other options, and it seems like you have at least one alternative which is very good!
    It could also be good to consider what on your course is making you unmotivated, how long you've felt like this, what you will gain from staying the course and what you'd gain by leaving the course. I would also suggest speakgin to a career adviser if you can, they will know about what you want to do in the future and what you need to do to get there.
    I hope that you can get some help and figure out what is the best thing for you to do!
  • Options
    maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @Distraction We all feel a it unmotivated at times but that doesn't mean you should give up. t really depends on how long you have felt like this, if it is a long time then it may be a sign to drop out. It also really depends on the intensity of those feelings-is it a short burst of emotions after your homework was submitted or is it something worse. It may be helpful to talk to a careers advisor at school so you can talk about possible options for if you do drop out. Good luck.
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Some really wonderful advice shared here, and so I just echo what has already been said, I'm just wondering how you've been doing since you posted this @Distraction ? xx
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
    You've made some really good points there. This is a tough question. I think what helped me personally was thinking 'what will i get out of finishing this degree?'. During times in which I wanted to drop out or never go back to class again, it was my goals for the future that kept me motivated through the tough times.

One suggestion I have is to weigh up the pros and cons of continuing the degree, as this may help with deciding whether or not continuing it is for you. As they say, you should do what you want to do.

Another is to see if there are other back up plans. If a full time job or other opportunities feel better for you, then that is okay.
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    I think it comes down to what your motivation was to study the course to begin with. It sounds like it was to please your parents, and while you do find some aspects of the course interesting, it also sounds like if you didn't feel the need to please your parents, you might not have started the course to begin with?

How long do you have left on the course? It's probably worth sticking with if you're already at least half way through. Especially since you said that it can benefit you in the future.

How likely is it that you would work full time, if you chose to drop out? Dropping out is a big decision so you'll want to make sure that you have a reasonable plan of action and a back-up plan in case that doesn't work out.

If there's any chance that you could benefit from the course, then it's not a waste of time. And if you do choose to stick with the course, it can help to keep in mind that it's only for a limited time.

Definitely worth seeking advice from someone at college or a careers advisor as well!