Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

would i be better off to move out

downtherabbitholedowntherabbithole Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
im in scotland and approaching 16. mum gets benefits for me but once im 16 theyll be diverted to my account. shes decided to let me stay at home. there was a point in time she said shed never charge me to live here. its a bigger property and costs a lot more than just a council house in bills every month. she said she wouldnt charge me so i could save to get on the property ladder or just t have my own money to get myself nice bits.

now my mum and her husband jointly own the house they have their own personal money as well as a joint account. they havenow decided to charge me to live here, as in pay for my own portion of the bills, all of my own living expenses such as food once im getting the benefitsbut the thing is taking our living expenses into account they earn more than enough not to need to charge me and still be comfortable, they smoke which csts hundreds every month and theyre always orderign things online that they dont really need so they can clearly afford not to charge me and still be comfortable

im not sure but i think i read somewhere that if i move out ill get help paying for stuff, is this true? would i be entitled to a discount on the cost of living and be able to save if i move out. does anyone know about moving out at 16 on benefits

Comments

• Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    How much are they wanting to charge you? And if you don't mind me asking which council area are you (rent varies place by place!)
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    edited September 2021
    All depends on where you live and how much rent is where you are. I still live at home (Scotland as well) and I’ve paid my parents rent since I turned 16, when I left school and all my benefits started coming over to me. Covers my share of the bills and I buy a lot of my own food these days.

Depends too on your relationship with your parents. I found when I started paying my way they treated me more like an adult living in their home, rather than a child dependent on them.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • downtherabbitholedowntherabbithole Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
    edited September 2021
    we don't live in a council housing scheme or some such, and my parents own the house outright. It was never a council house, it's a big one too in the country and presumably my share of the bills, internet, food, water, electric, petrol, car maintanence, house maintanence and whatever else will leave nothing left for extras

it makes sense the costs differ depending on the area I know I'd have to move to another area but what i mean is if youve moved out and are on benefits can you get help to pay for everything and still have money left over for nice bits for yourself so youre not absoloutely miserable

ive got no idea how much benefits id get or what sort, just been informed tho that ill be getting them and be made to pay my way essentially
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    What sorts of things do you think they’d help with? You can get help to pay rent through housing benefit, but that’s about it - they don’t help to pay your bills or anything. Whether you have any left depends on where you live and how much you’re getting.

It’s usually, 99.999% of the time, much cheaper to stay living with your parents - even if you’re paying them rent.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    edited September 2021
    ive got to save to rent a place to go to college im ASN and dont want to live in student halls ill ahve to pay for my furniture and stuff but how am i supposed to save to do that when all my money will be going to my parents in rent that they dont even need they say they want to teach me responsibility but i think its to subsidise their smoking habit which they wouldnt afford if i didnt give them all my money once im 16
    Rent is almost always going to be upwards of £400 a month, you'll not get much better than that, then you have to buy your food, pay all your bills and any transportation costs too. You also have to think about the emotional toll of being alone, will you get lonely or will you be okay. Things like that.

Benefits don't cover much at all. I get SAAS and I hardly have money at all ever.

If you can physically and safely stay at home, I'd 100% recommend it. I haven't lived with a parent since I was 14 and left my grandparents at 19. I'm 21 now in my own place and trust me if I could've stayed in my kinship placement it really would've been the best thing. I had to move out because of covid and my grandparents being high risk. We ended up moving in with my bfs family and nearly ended up homeless.

You're honestly much cheaper staying at home. Offer to pay for your room and food and I think that's reasonable.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    They want me to pay for my share of electric, water, food, internet, personal hygiene, any new shoes or clothes, fuel for the car, etc, literally everything. I highly doubt the amount will cover more than just the bills and food nevermind fuel or internet, as although I don't know how much I'll be getting I know it wont be a lot
    I shouldn't know, but they're in a position not to need to do this. What happens if I refuse to pay them?
    An update on the situation:

I've been informed that I wont be made to pay most of the money I will be getting. I'm really glad about this! I don't think this is a problem anymore
    Glad to hear it won't be so bad for you.

Unfortunately the reality of moving out is not as nice as it seems.

For me my rent is £500, internet is just under £40, food shopping £150 a month ish, car is about £200 for payments and insurance, gas and electrics is £80, phone bill about £30.

That doesn't include unexpected costs, entertainment or anything else. So already £1000 a month and I only get £810 from student funding.

I'm constantly in the overdraft so you can see why it's impossible for so many people to save. All I want is to be able to buy my own home but it's impossible on a student budget.

Take advantage of living at home and save as much money as you can, because once you move out there's no saving
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I'm really happy to hear that this problem has been resolved @downtherabbithole , especially given that it was causing you so much distress and worry! You deserve to feel supported at home as a young person, including in a financial sense <3 I'm also super glad that everyone offered such wise and insightful advice, as this will be helpful for many people now and in the future too :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.