Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Have you ever had a teacher who changed your life?

AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm wondering if anyone would like to share their positive experiences with any teachers (or learning assistants or anyone who works in a school/university/college really!)? 'Positive experiences' can mean anything from you liked their teaching style to they supported you through a difficult time.

[try not to share any identifying details about the teachers though!!] xx
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    For me, I had a simply wonderful Psych teacher in sixth form. She made everything about my school experience brighter because she was so so understanding. She would say 'if you need to sleep in my class, do not worry about it, I understand how exhausted you can become. But please feel able to talk to me after class if you'd like'. She was so honest and open and didn't treat our thoughts and opinions as less just because we were younger than her. Her teaching style was ofc great, fun and engaging too! Overall she encouraged and supported everyone regardless of ability or effort, which is not something that other teachers at my school necessarily did. She truly is a gem <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • KHI1886kKHI1886k Deactivated Posts: 136 The Mix Convert
    Hey @AislingDM

In primary school I had a teacher who loved the song he played when he left, he supported my whole class and brought a smile to my face even when I was In the grumps, he was awesome!
    Everyone enjoyed him being here on Friday's he brought cookies In If we had behaved the week for a progress report each week! I always Think back to those days <3
  • Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    In my undergraduate uni I had a teacher who I really like. She is a psychologist. She was always kind when I got myself into trouble. She also like justice and always stood up for me and other students who were treated unfairly. We have some shared hobbies as well. I feel bad because I am now a mess and I wasted her reference letter. I am not the smart and talented person she thought I was and I have no potential. I don't deserve to go back to see her again.
    Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
    Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
    El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
    Kate_20 wrote: »
    In my undergraduate uni I had a teacher who I really like. She is a psychologist. She was always kind when I got myself into trouble. She also like justice and always stood up for me and other students who were treated unfairly. We have some shared hobbies as well. I feel bad because I am now a mess and I wasted her reference letter. I am not the smart and talented person she thought I was and I have no potential. I don't deserve to go back to see her again.

Hello lovely,

That sounds so sweet! That Is so great she was kind <3
    She sounds a lovely teacher and Well done to her for supporting younger peers and not leaving anyone out that Is what this world needs !
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi all,

This thread brightened my day! Thanks for sharing the highlights of your favourite staff. I believe everyone should have at least one favourite staff member in education (or otherwise). A common theme I am noticing is that they are the staff who are supportive and believe in you. This is similar to me with my favourite staff. In my undergraduate studies, I had a favourite lecturer who was always engaging, uplifting and believing in me even when (/especially when) I wanted to give up and kept me pushing through when times got tough. Now I want to use my education degree to have a similar impact! :) I will look forward to hearing further highlights of favourite staff if anyone else wishes to share or expand on their initial posts!
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Kate_20,

Glad you also had a favourite member of staff. As posted above, I believe everyone should have at least one favourite staff member in education (or otherwise). You are not a mess though, you are just in a difficult place and that is ok. Times get tough but you are tougher. Just remember to reach out for support if you need it! She would never say you wasted her reference letter. Rather, she would remind you that she wrote that reference letter because she believes in you and knows how far you can (and will) go. Keep pushing through!
    Hi all,

This thread brightened my day! Thanks for sharing the highlights of your favourite staff. I believe everyone should have at least one favourite staff member in education (or otherwise). A common theme I am noticing is that they are the staff who are supportive and believe in you. This is similar to me with my favourite staff. In my undergraduate studies, I had a favourite lecturer who was always engaging, uplifting and believing in me even when (/especially when) I wanted to give up and kept me pushing through when times got tough. Now I want to use my education degree to have a similar impact! :) I will look forward to hearing further highlights of favourite staff if anyone else wishes to share or expand on their initial posts!

Why the thank you's haha?
    Hi @Kate_20,

Glad you also had a favourite member of staff. As posted above, I believe everyone should have at least one favourite staff member in education (or otherwise). You are not a mess though, you are just in a difficult place and that is ok. Times get tough but you are tougher. Just remember to reach out for support if you need it! She would never say you wasted her reference letter. Rather, she would remind you that she wrote that reference letter because she believes in you and knows how far you can (and will) go. Keep pushing through!

It seems like I might not get through this master's without dying laura :(
    KHI1886k wrote: »

Hello lovely,

That sounds so sweet! That Is so great she was kind <3
    She sounds a lovely teacher and Well done to her for supporting younger peers and not leaving anyone out that Is what this world needs !

Thanks she's super nice
    Hi @Kate_20,

Don't die reach out for support lovely.
    edited September 2021
    KHI1886k wrote: »
    Hi @Kate_20,

@Kate_20
    Don't die reach out for support lovely.

The mix @TheMix phone - 0800 808 4994 text THEMIX to 85258 or contact them by webchat here is their website https://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/speak-to-our-team
    Shout 85258 24/7 messaging.
    Samaratians - website - https://www.samaritans.org/
    email - jo@samaritans.org also you can call 116123 any time any day 365 days a year and their is a webchat too PILOT

This is a new service. Please call 116 123 for urgent suppor
    Papryus - https://www.papyrus-uk.org/ call - 0800 068 41 41 or webchat

You don't need to suffer you are amazing and you are worth supporting and only way you'll get stronger is by reaching out Yes it's scary but is it worth taking a risk? I think so and @Laura_tigger82 will agree that you are not better off dead!
    take good care,
    Khia
    I really am so glad you all shared about your favourite teachers @Kate_20 @KHI1886k @Laura_tigger82 !!! Knowing that just one person was able to make such a sincere impact on our lives as young people is truly very cool <3 and as has been said, it's pretty clear that these dreamy teachers all possess similar qualities of warmth and support. This really reifies how important any role that involves children and young people is!

and Kate, as horrid and undeserved your negative self-feelings are, I understand how strongly these can impact you, especially when you feel as though you have let an important person down/not met their expectations. I am sure the talent she saw in you is there even if you cannot see it yourself right now <3 xxx
  • Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    I love the idea of this thread @AislingDM

I had this teacher at school who was amazing! I struggled with anxiety a lot so would often miss classes and I'd always be welcome to join her class and help out. She was a music teacher so would often distract me by asking me to create posters or displays for her classroom or help out younger students. It was exactly what I needed!

So great to hear some of you have had such lovely experiences with teachers too <3
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    I really wanted to share a negative experience that positively changed my life. I know it sounds weird but I hope my story will explain it better.

I had an English teacher who was also my pupil support teacher. I didn't like her, we didn't get along. She didn't like that I didn't come to her classes and missed a lot of school. She didn't want me to sit my exams and she would call me out in class.

I went to the pupil support classroom most times that I was in school. I spent every lunchtime in there. Tbh I didn't make a shit ton of friends, I was going through shit at that time in my life so I had more to worry about.

Anyway I remember one day that the pupil support teacher told me I had to start collecting my work. This set off a lot of anxiety in me tbh but off I went, up the back staircase that was for teachers only. It led me right to where my English teachers classroom was. Problem was the whole class was in. Was very awkward for me. Anyways I walked in - it was my own class anyways so I didn't bother knocking - and went and asked for my work.

The teacher asked why I couldn't do it in class, I didn't really know what to say so I just kind of blankly stared. At this point the whole class was watching and I told her that she knew why. What she said next will always stick with me - I won't say it on here, she's still at the school and people on here will know who I'm talking about. It wasn't anything racist or sexist. It was nothing like that, it just hurt. I also won't say it because I don't fully remember if she said it or if my memory is tricking me.

Regardless of whether she said what I remember or not, it's stuck with me. I ended up walking out of the classroom visibly upset.

After that moment I really did not like the teacher. She told me I couldn't sit my exams. We fought to have me sit them and eventually they let me.

The last words this teacher said to me we're the most sarcastic shit response I'd ever heard - right before entering the exam hall she pulled me aside and said "whatever happens, we're so proud of you for going in there and trying". She had the absolute cheek. She didn't want me to sit my exams, called me out in front of people of why I wasn't in class and continued to make my life difficult, even when she knew that social work took me away from my home.

Anyways I was incredibly determined entering that exam room. More so than I was before. And me with my roughly 50% attendance got myself a B. Go suck on that.

So yes without those experiences I genuinely wouldn't have given a shit about that exam.

Now I'm studying English at a Russell group uni and she knows. I made sure to make sure she knows.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    I simply love that you had such a wonderful experience in feeling supported @Emma_ ! Sometimes even one teacher can make such a huge difference/impact on our time at school, and it's those kinds of teachers who tailor their care and teaching towards each student's needs that are the real gems <3

thank you so much for sharing about your experience @Anch0r33 . You've made such an insightful point about how even the harmful teachers can leave a lasting impact (in many ways these will be negative, but as you say smaller positives like 'proving them wrong' can also arise). Being treated so horridly by the people who were meant to care for you and support you throughout the pain in your life is simply a disgrace and beyond undeserved. I am immensely glad to hear that you are happy in studying English now, and that you were able to let that mean teacher know this too. You really do deserve this success - huge well done <3<3<3