Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What do you think about universal basic income (UBI)?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
edited September 2021 in Politics & Debate
If you've never heard of UBI, click here for more info.

The basic idea is that everyone gets a set amount of money every month, no strings attached. It should cover basic needs and (in theory) replaces other social welfare programs. The aim would be to eliminate poverty and give people more freedom to study or try new careers with less financial pressure.

Curious what you folks think of the idea - is it something you'd like to see in the UK?
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

What do you think about universal basic income (UBI)? 12 votes

I think it's a good idea
83%
Skiveindependent_RileyDancerGreenTeaMillie2787Anch0r33AislingDMApollomaryam852 10 votes
I think it's a bad idea
16%
AzzimanKHI1886k 2 votes
I'm not sure
0%

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    I think it's a bad idea
    Personally I think the current approach works better than UBI - rather than giving everyone money, the money is best focused on those groups that need it the most. E.g. rather than giving a billionaire and someone living hand-to-mouth £500 a month each, it's better to give the latter £1000 a month based on need. That's not to say the current system doesn't have issues, and there are parts of UBI that we can defo adopt. But on balance, I think we're better off adapting the current system rather than strip it out and replace something that isn't as targeted towards those who need the support most x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I think it's a good idea
    That's such an important point @Azziman !! Kind of comes into equality vs. equity like that picture

a15hwqdzb94u.png

I agree with this, I think in order for things to improve loads we'd need an overhaul of a lot of the current systems, as opposed to just UBI/social welfare, because ultimately they're all linked to capitalism anyway.

I am glad to hear your thoughts as they have allowed me to rethink my instinctive answer =)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    I think it's a good idea
    @Mike I think it is important to consider how different living costs are in different areas. For example, it is widely known that the daily living costs in Sweden are much more than the UK and the UK is much more than India.
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    I think it's a good idea
    I think it's a good idea to an extent - but where is this money coming from, if it isn't taxable and still people won't be working or contributing as much to society.

I think in principle it's a good idea but capitalism is also a good idea on paper, it's just atrocious in reality.

I also agree that why should someone who's a millionaire get this money when it could be better spent elsewhere, but following on from that, why should someone who's worked hard their whole life and become a millionaire through their own hard work be excluded from this when people who just can't be bothered working and are benefit frauds will be living essentially for free whilst doing no good for society.

I'd like to see everyone working. In today's day and age working from home is easier than ever. Obviously there's extreme cases but mobility issues for example don't stop you doing call centre work from your bed.

I know people who get PIP for mobility and live fully off benefits but somehow they can attend a college course?? How's that gonna work when they try and get a job. It's just laziness.

Meanwhile students aren't eligible for any benefits but are expected to study and work full time to scrape the barrel. The current society is so unbalanced and unfair.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I think it's a good idea
    Azziman wrote: »
    Personally I think the current approach works better than UBI - rather than giving everyone money, the money is best focused on those groups that need it the most. E.g. rather than giving a billionaire and someone living hand-to-mouth £500 a month each, it's better to give the latter £1000 a month based on need. That's not to say the current system doesn't have issues, and there are parts of UBI that we can defo adopt. But on balance, I think we're better off adapting the current system rather than strip it out and replace something that isn't as targeted towards those who need the support most x

I disagree. This is a socialst policy (universal) and therefore equality should be a core principle.
    Wealthy people are already funding and paying more for it through taxation.

We don't ask wealthy people to pay for more NHS at the point of delivery. We don't stop wealthier people getting child benefit. And don't see why this would be different.

The problem with the system now is that it creates animosity between those that receive benefits (legitimately or not) and those that don't,

I think UBI is definitely worth considering and trialing.
    Weekender Offender 
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    I think it's a bad idea
    Skive wrote: »
    The problem with the system now is that it creates animosity between those that receive benefits (legitimately or not) and those that don't,

You make an interesting point here - was having a conversation about this very thing with a friend the other day. Something universal like UBI would remove that notion of who is 'deserving' of support. Maybe it's the way we brand 'benefits' that needs to be changed or rethought in some way. x