Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What makes a good movie?

AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What components are essential to make a film good?

lighting? costumes? famous actors?

(it will obv be a combo of a lot of factors).
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    I think everybody is going to have a different answer to this honestly, everyone has different things they like about movies after all. For me as long as a movie has well written story and is acted decently, not necessarily famous actors just enjoyable ones, then I'll enjoy myself. There's obviously a lot more things that will change how I feel about a movie but those are the two most essential!
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    naominaomi Posts: 94 Budding Regular
    I personally think a good movie has to have an interesting story. If there is no story then it is just a string of scenes sewn together to make a movie. There also needs to be good pacing in how the story is told, it's not exciting to reveal the whole plot of the movie in the first half an hour and it is annoying to waste an hour or an hour and half of movie time to reveal the point of the movie at the end, those kinds of movies are terrible imo :s . I think lighting is also important to a movie because I would like to be able to see the scenes going on in the movie.
    That's my two sense on the question :)
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @AislingDM. For me, a good movie is one that can catch and maintain my attention. It can usually serve this function if it has an interesting story which I have noticed was a common theme mentioned by both @Riley and @naomi. In addition to this, I like it when it has music.
  • Options
    I love all of these answers!! @Laura_tigger82 , @Riley and @naomi =) It's so true that each person will think something different, especially as we all might enjoy different genres which can often have different key tropes. But you're so right Riley, it's essential that the acting is enjoyable, rather than just famous people. Now, Laura and Naomi, you both mentioned the importance of an interesting story/plot and I guess I am wondering what that looks like to you, can an interesting plot be one where nothing in particular happens but it focuses upon the characters' relationships, or does there need to be an actual purpose to the film, e.g., two people fall in love, action film with stuff blowing up etc...?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Story is the most essential component.Whether it be love, suspsense or fear - it has to be something that gets you invested.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    naominaomi Posts: 94 Budding Regular
    edited September 2021
    @AislingDM for me a good story has a focal point that carries the story along, ideally this focal point/purpose of the film is introduced towards the beginning and is explored throughout the movie. I prefer movies that have a central storyline that is carried through the whole movie, not different stories that don't have any connection in the end because it ends up being too confusing. There can be different stories in the movie as long as they connect to the central story arc. I would rather not get invested in a story for there not to be a point at the end of it :# .
  • Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    A good screenplay/script will make or break a movie imo. You need to have good dialogue to keep you engaged
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    summerxo21summerxo21 Deactivated Posts: 321 The Mix Regular
    Anch0r33 wrote: »
    A good screenplay/script will make or break a movie imo. You need to have good dialogue to keep you engaged

blankets, pets popcorn and a glass of Rose ;)
  • Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    summerxo21 wrote: »

I'm not a drinker (medical reasons, medications I'm on and generally don't enjoy it!) But I love snuggling up on the couch with a blanket, some snacks and pets. What a good night in that is :love:
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    summerxo21 wrote: »

I'm not a drinker (medical reasons, medications I'm on and generally don't enjoy it!) But I love snuggling up on the couch with a blanket, some snacks and pets. What a good night in that is :love:

it is soo good!! glad we agree :)
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @AislingDM,

For me, it is in the form of either feeling like I know the characters or an interesting plot to follow!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    i forgot to add toffee popcorn makes it a dream come true ;)
  • Options
    maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @AislingDM Although a mix of things is needed, I truly believe that a good script is key to a good film. A clever script can tell the story without any cinematography.
  • Options
    Yeah I completely get what you mean @naomi !! I think this is why I only really enjoy ensemble cast films when all the stories link up at the end sort of (like Love Actually type of vibe) SO TRUE @Anch0r33 and @summerxo21 being all warm and cosy is simply the best, this is why I am never sure if going to the cinema in person is actually preferable =) yes 100% @maryam852 it can be the subtleties within scripts that can make a film go from an 8 to a 10 !! <3