Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Olympics discussion thread

Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
edited July 2021 in General Chat
img
[GIF description - animated sketch of the olympic rings]

The greatest show on earth is finally here, and if any of you have read my staff profile, you'll know I am a sports fanatic, so this is one of my favourite times! So many different sports going on that you can suddenly become an armchair expert in over a short few hours of watching.

Thought it would be a good to get a thread going to discuss all things Tokyo 2020(1), have you been watching any of it yet? Any favourite moments? Sports you would love to have a go at? Discuss it all below!
FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Comments

• Options
    Getting things started, what a day today for Team GB! So many amazing moments, but Tom Daley and Matty Lee winning gold today in the diving was a very special moment. Seeing all these athletes never giving up chasing their dreams, and seeing what it means to them when they finally achieve thier goal is so inspiring!

When he won today, Tom Daley said: "I am a gay man and also an Olympic champion. And I feel very empowered by that because when I was younger I felt I was never going to achieve anything because of who I was." <3

ulcau8hwcirs.png

[Image description: Tom Daley standing on the podium with a tear running down each cheek]
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited July 2021
    @Ed_ I went to school with Tom Daley.. he was the year above me 😂😂 I also used to see him every morning when I did a paper round because he lived on that street before moving to London. 😂😂
  • Options
    Wow! Now that is an awesome claim to fame! I imagine that must have been an interesting dynamic in school when he became an olympian!

• Options
    Ed_ wrote: »
    Wow! Now that is an awesome claim to fame! I imagine that must have been an interesting dynamic in school when he became an olympian!

He'd moved to private school with some wild claims before the Olympics so he wasn't very well liked because of it. It was in the news lol
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    I always loved Athletics in school and I hope I still hold my record there. :D But it's frankly scary to see the difference in talent between someone who was okay like me and those that are the best in the world. Some people really are born for certain things. Still, I'd quite like to give some of my old events a try while I still can, I'm just so unfit now it would kill me. XD
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,618 Legendary Poster
    I’ve been watching it, mostly the swimming and football but I watched the skateboarding the other night and triathlon last night which were pretty cool.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Tbh I mostly wanna watch sky brown skateboarding. She's only 12. Youngest ever to play for team GB
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,147 Part of The Furniture
    I loved Tom Daley’s reaction . I had just got home from work so we’re forcing myself to stay awake to watch it 🤣

I love watching the judo and the weightlifting.. the noises they make have me laughing
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    Yeah the screaming in some sports is completely amazing. XD I wanna see them start making those noises in the Snooker.
  • Options
    Watching the boxing and we’re getting a lot of ha ha huh hah ha 🙈

I really enjoy the swimming though , I loved swimming as a kid
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    Supernova wrote: »
    I always loved Athletics in school and I hope I still hold my record there. :D But it's frankly scary to see the difference in talent between someone who was okay like me and those that are the best in the world. Some people really are born for certain things. Still, I'd quite like to give some of my old events a try while I still can, I'm just so unfit now it would kill me. XD

You have to tell us now what your events were! I agree about the difference it shows, but also that finding your level and enjoying competing or practicing still has a lot of fun and value in doing so :3

• Options
    Well I did all the sprints - 100m, 200m, 400m and the relays, plus the triple jump and high jump, and those were the events I could win. I did some of the longer distance running aswell like 800m and 1600m but I wasn't as good at those. :p
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,618 Legendary Poster
    Anyone who can run more than about 3 metres is excellent at all running in my view @Supernova, good for you!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Ehhhhhh I can't run much any more @independent_ so you should save your praise XD I'm a tad scared about getting healthy again cause I'm gonna be puking after every run :s
  • Options
    Millie2787 wrote: »

Ha, I feel like you should try and create a mash up of all the funny sounds from the olympics!

Talking of the swimming, very exciting race with the British men winning gold and silver. Beautiful video of their friends and family watching them win:

• Options
    AbbyOwlAbbyOwl Posts: 125 The Mix Convert
    I'm a sports fanatic too, so I love the chance to see such a variety of sports all in one place (shame it's only once every 4(5) years though :smile:) The only problem is that I have to work so miss all the live action :joy: Loving the swimming, gymnastics, tennis, equestrian, diving so far
  • Options

Ha, I feel like you should try and create a mash up of all the funny sounds from the olympics!

Talking of the swimming, very exciting race with the British men winning gold and silver. Beautiful video of their friends and family watching them win:

First time in 113 years we’ve got 1-2 @Ed_ !
  • Options
    GreenTea wrote: »
    Tbh I mostly wanna watch sky brown skateboarding. She's only 12. Youngest ever to play for team GB

Yeah it's amazing to see so many young people competing for different countries, the Japanese skateboarder winning gold aged 13, unreal!

• Options

First time in 113 years we’ve got 1-2 @Ed_ !

Oh wow! Even I am not old enough to remember what that feels like!

• Options
    AbbyOwl wrote: »
    I'm a sports fanatic too, so I love the chance to see such a variety of sports all in one place (shame it's only once every 4(5) years though :smile:) The only problem is that I have to work so miss all the live action :joy: Loving the swimming, gymnastics, tennis, equestrian, diving so far

The BBC highlight show is fairly good at catching up with things and depending on what time you work, there are a few live events that start late evening UK time...For example, last couple of nights I have got hooked on the triathlon!

• Options
    Benifits of working nights means I catch all the early 2am ones 🤣
  • Options
    We just got bronze in the women’s artistic gymnastics.. first time since sooo soo long
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,032 Boards Guru
    I thought this was a really nice moment from the Olympics yesterday :)

ldfsgs96xvji.jpg
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    So many amazing moments in the olympics, but this has to be up there:

The italian athlete had a career threatening injury a few years ago, and it was the Qatarian who spoke with him to encourage him to not give up and to show himself kindness and patience to recover. They both had identical results in the High Jump final and asked to share the gold medal rather than do a jump off. Look how happy they are <3

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Okay but this has melted my heart 🥺

5ce9tatothnh.jpeg

[Alt Text - Picture of tweet showing Tom Daley knitting from the stands at the olympics . Is knitting something white with the Olympic Rings on, The British flag and text “Team GB”]
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,032 Boards Guru
    @Ed_ that's such a sweet story and really nice they shared the gold medal.

@Millie2787 I saw this too! The letters and Olympic rings have been knitted so perfectly.

Over the weekend I ended up watching a catch up video of the BMX event which was amazing to watch. They are so talented!

https://youtu.be/6wc6TChRwUM
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    It’s amazing how young they all are @Aife ! Like I can just about ride my bike down the road 🤣
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    lool I love that pic of Tom knitting, he's actually so cute <3@Millie2787
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options

• Options

I did! She did a amazing! She's best friends with the girl who won first too! And to think a couple years ago sky had a bad accident and was in hospital for a while