Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Repeating a year...

DistractionDistraction Posts: 449 Listening Ear
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Firstly I just want to ask if anyone has repeated a year before and how they felt abut it or are you repeating this year as well? Feel free to share experiences

Ok, so theres pros and cons:

Pros
- I'm happy I don't need to stress over trying to do 5 months of work into one month
- it's a free year, I don't need to pay tuition fees because of Covid the college is paying for it
- I get another HND out of it
- Makes things simpler at home
- I feel better prepared
- Could make friends (but not my main interest)
- Could enjoy it
- Maybe be proud of myself for doing it
- I could get an apprenticeship with it (no guarantees)
- I know someone else repeating (big plus)
- Could learn CAD and be really good at it
- The qualification is a good back up
-If I got a job in the field could be good money

Cons
- I'll be repeating a year, trying to think of it as only six month cos really that's all it is
- I want to join the army (already applied, up to two years waiting list so maybe won't get called up before I finish college if I do, I'd want to go but cross that bridge when/if come to it)
- I'm 23, I'll be 24 once I've finished college (but then again I'll be 24 no matter what, but I could apply to fire service while waiting for army and be in a real career)
- I don't want to go through it all again
- Less hours at work
- Can't take out a student loan this time around
- Have to deal with lecturers again
- I have to do presentations (I hate them, like really hate them but it could help me later on with confidence and such)
- I feel really anxious
- Could just do the open university and get a degree in three years, in that case, I'm I just wasting a year doing this
- My cousin is already finishing uni and she's 20, I feel like I'm giving my step mum nothing to be proud of
- If I fail, they'd be real pissed
- I'll have to get a job in the field

I pretty much have to do it anyway and should and probably will
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hey @Distraction

I like this post, it can be very healthy to note down pros and cons as a way of organising your mind :blush: How did it feel to write them out?

I also love your narrative about the presentations, where you say you hate them but then turn it into a potential positive. Perhaps you could try that with the other cons too and see how that feels?

I haven't repeated a year myself, but just wanted to drop by and send some support! Very best of luck :heart:
  • Options
    Rose124Rose124 Posts: 69 Boards Initiate
    Hi @Distraction

I have repeated not just one year, but two years and it is safe to say that repeating two years at college was the best thing I have ever done in my life. As it allowed me to have extra time to really understand what I wanted to do and study after college, it gave me extra UCAS points which was really helpful for being able to gain a place at uni and it allowed me to meet new people and therefore make more friends. So, overall - I really was grateful for repeating my two years of further education.

I hope this helps at all!!

I also just wanted to say well done for creating a pro's and cons list though, that's a great way of making the right decision for you!!

Please don't hesitate to send me a message if you have any other questions about repeating a year that you may want to ask me

All the very best with your decision making.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    I've not repeated but a few of my friends have, and I know they'd all do it again if they had the chance to go back. Life isn't a race, and an extra year is worth it to complete the degree for the future. Especially since the college isn't charging you for extra, there's no reason not to take up the great offer! The extra time is also great for thinking about your career - I know a lot of my friends all wish they had a bit more time to think about it and apply, so repeating the year will definitely give you that too. :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    DistractionDistraction Posts: 449 Listening Ear
    Thank you all so much for the great support! I didn't really expect such amazing answers

@coc0mac , Writing the list helped me to think through it better tbh and it helped having the reasons for both good and bad to really rationalise it and understand what I was afraid of and what I'd look forward to and how I could make it a better experience, I think trying to turn the con's into a positive would be a very good idea indeed :)

@Rose124 Thank you for sharing! and thank you for the DM offer <3 it's fab to hear positive stories like these and see the good in taking your time

@Azziman That's very true! it could well come in handy in the future and it's doing something productive while figuring things out, it does defiantly seem like the best option, thank you for in put, it's much appreciated =)
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    That's great to hear! Thank you for the positive update :blush::heart: