Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Non-serious use of the word 'triggered'

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
edited April 2021 in Politics & Debate
For a lot of us, the word 'triggered' means something real and serious. A trigger might be something that sets off an unpleasant feeling, something that causes flashbacks, the list goes on.

But people also use it in a less serious, more jokey way. You don't have to look very far to see memes, YouTube videos, and whatever else where people use 'triggered' to mean 'annoyed'.

What do you guys think about this? Is it okay to use that sort of language like that, or does it take away from the seriousness of real mental health triggers for you?

All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Non-serious use of the word 'triggered' 25 votes

I think it's fine
28%
SkiveSienaLucy307AzzimanDandelion_Tech_Addict_GirlKnight1 7 votes
It's okay in some contexts
52%
independent_Past UserDancerGreenTeatkdogAnch0r33AislingDMPast UserlovemimoonPast UserrainskyeKHI1886kgia9720 13 votes
I don't like it
20%
JellyelephantRileynatalie_bPast UserKate_20 5 votes

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    This is a tough one, it personally doesn't bother me and i've think i've probably used the term myself in jokey ways but then again i'm happy to joke about my own mental health and I don't tend to take those types of things too seriously.

I can see the issue though, with the word being used in a jokey way it could take away the seriousness of what triggered means to some people.

I guess the word 'triggered' just means that something 'triggered' off a memory or an emotion, so there isn't really a wrong way to use the word? but if it's being used to mock mental health, that's different.

it doesn't bother me personally to see people using it for memes and in jokey contexts but i can definitely see why it could be an issue for some, fa sho.
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    I agree with what @Liam said. It doesn't bother me and I'd associate it more in a jokey way than a non-jokey way.

I'd hope people would take me seriously if it was a serious matter but at the same time it can be used jokingly
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I don’t mind it personally, it’s never been something that really bothered me, but I understand it can distract from the actual meaning of the word ‘triggered’ if people use it outside of a serious context. But never been something that’s particularly bothered me personally.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I think it's fine
    It’s an interesting question cause never thought about it. I just see it as like a lot of English words - it can have two meanings one being just annoyed and the other the mental health side
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • natalie_bnatalie_b Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
    I don't like it
    For me it's confusing because it's hard to tell if someone is joking or if they feel seriously about the subject. It's much clearer if people differentiate the words "annoyed' and 'triggered" etc. Especially over text!
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I think this is such a fab question and everyone's responses are really insightful and giving me new perspectives. My instinctive answer is similar to @Liam like people could jokingly be talking about their own MH and say triggered unseriously. Equally though some people do find it difficult to interpret people's tone as @natalie_b says. Some neurodivergent people might be less certain about whether it's a joke (sometimes I see people using like "/j" to mean joking which could circumvent these problems with the use?). On top of that I guess there is also the worry that people will think you're using 'triggered' as a joke when you mean it seriously because maybe it's not a commonly spoken about issue. Like I once posted a TW for my weighing scales during COVID when I was talking about weight because I know some of my friends are triggered by things like this, but maybe others thought I was joking? It's a tough q tbh! (sorry for this essay length answer ha)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    I think it can be okay so long as you aren't using it to make fun of those who have serious issues and don't want to see certain content, plus just considering it as being a seperate usage of the word.
    On the other hand I do consider be annoyed at mild things not based on trauma or censoring others speaking out on things kind of a serious thing and while people approach the topic through sense of humour to me even that usage can be serious. I think it is important to listen to other people's opinions sometimes without getting annoyed too easily.
    I totally get what you're saying @Aidan about being able to laugh - like it's important to be able to have a laugh about things definitely and it can also bring people together when we do this :) I must say though I feel like joking about things that don't impact you can defo be harmful to people or at the very least come across the wrong way. Like, for me, as a person who is not Jewish I would never make a 'joke' or 'jokingly' use the word 'triggered' about antisemitism because it can be really harmful, especially to a marginalised group. I'd say this applies to a lot of things that get 'joked' about in the world. It's clearly a very nuanced conversation - that's why I ticked blue - but I'd try to operate by trying to take on board feedback if I did hurt someone by saying 'triggered' in an insensitive way <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    I don't like it
    I wasnt sure which to pick but I put I don't like it.... because generally I don't like it when I see it purely because I feel like a lot of the time people use it as a way to try and degrade someones point of view or make them seem silly. I also think like say If you are discussing something on facebook for example, i have seen one person writes their opinion and then the other writes ooooh why u so triggereddddddddd like in my opinion its trying to make people look like they are overreacting to something and i feel that is cruel. Obviously people have the right to say what they want to - i just don't "like it" myself personally.
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    Yeah I defo hear that @Jellyelephant and @Aidan! Like it's one of those situations where context is really important and even with the 'right context' a person can still end up being hurt by it ! I think this a really interesting and important conversation tbh :)
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    I have to say that I think that the overuse of the word 'triggered' has lessened its impact. It is quite sad because now people are vulnerable continue consuming potentially triggering media and reap the consequences. Unfortunately, on social media I saw a video mocking victims of trauma.
  • gia9720gia9720 Posts: 117 The Mix Convert
    Defo depends on context but think because the word is used very frequently among young people

there is two versions in my mind;

popular and well known definition* triggered is when someone gets offended or gets their feelings hurt

and then there's

An emotional/psychological reaction caused by something that somehow relates to an upsetting time or happening in someone's life

I dont find it offensive when people use it in a less serious way but i could understand others who have dealt with traumas may find it offensive :)

• DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    If it is being used in a mocking way then it is definitely not appropriate but otherwise I don't really get what the problem is.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts with us!

All your thoughts are really valued and important to keep in mind :3