Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Phone addiction 😓/ and other stuff 🥺

_Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
edited January 2021 in Health & Wellbeing
Hi guys as some of you know I posted a discussion about sleeping problems and going to bed really late and waking up late and I think I found out why it hurts me to say but I think I’m addicted to my phone and that stops me from going to bed at a sensible time.
Also for a long time I’ve wanted to speak to a doctor about my problems but I feel like my mom isn’t being very supportive of my choice she thinks I will waste the doctors time.
it’s like she don’t want me to get help.
she says herself to that I have anxiety and panic attacks and that’s what keeps me up to but she’s not letting me speak to W doctor.
I am 17 and I can speak to a doctor myself but I have no credit to phone the doctor and she isn’t letting me have credit.
I don’t know why she’s so against me speaking to a doctor I’ve been wanted to get help for ages but she won’t let me speak to one 🥺my new year is going to be a good start isn’t it ?😓any advice 💗

Comments

• SciFi_456SciFi_456 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    edited January 2021
    Evening @Emoji246 hope you're feeling better?

Congrats for admitting that you've got a phone addiction and I'm sorry to hear that it's affecting you. If you ever wanna talk more about it, you know where I am 👍🏻.

Is there anyone else in your family you could open up to about your addiction? If not, maybe just try again talking to your mum in a calm environment and explain it in detail and how you're worried.

You wouldn't be wasting the doctor's time, I promise. Addiction to phones and other screens is a very real thing and is becoming more and more common in our society at all ages like other addictions, however not many people are brave enough to admit to any addiction so once again congratulations on that ☺️.

I'm sorry that I can't think of any other solutions, however I recommend trying the ones on the post and going from there. We'll always be here to listen.

Stay strong ❤️💪🏻

-Liam 

• _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    edited January 2021
    @SciFi_456 Hi Liam
    The thing is I can’t trust anyone in my family because they just find it funny and tell my mom and she will just call me a drama queen If I speak to her again.
    and Thankyou Liam I really appreciate it you also know where I am if you need anything too❤️
    -Alina
  • SciFi_456SciFi_456 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    @Emoji246

No problem Alina. Always good to talk ❤️
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

Have you tried using the parental controls on your phone? you can set time limits for your phone or certain apps, and set reminders once you spend a certain amount of time on it. It might also tell you what you're spending your time on :)

Some people don't respond to these as well though and need something more drastic. In that case, I'd simply ask yourself whether you need these apps? If not, I'd honestly just delete them. For example, rather than having YouTube on your phone, delete it and only watch it on your computer. 

Hope this helps! <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.