Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bullying in a position of trust (Anti bullying week)

LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
A position of trust is a legal term that refers to certain roles and settings where someone has authority over another person. Most of these people depend and trust these people in question. But sometimes bullying, neglect, and abuse can occur.  

Some common jobs in a position of trust you may see are : 
- Teachers/Lecturers
- GPs/those in medical field
- Carers
- Youth justice workers
- Social workers
- Care workers
- Psychiatric hospital workers

The list goes on!
Bullying by someone in a position of trust is not taken lightly but unfortunately it happens. This bullying can occur in all age ranges, ranging from child abuse, to elderly neglect. 

Bullying, abusing, or being in a relationship(which is illegal when the adult 18 or over is in a relationship with someone under 18 who is in their trust) are common examples of breaches in trust. 

Bullying is something we often report to someone in a position of trust(head teacher for example) so what do you do when that person is the bully?
Inform someone. Find someone you trust to talk to about it, Often times in any settings you can complain formally! If you’re not sure tell someone and they can help you find it and go through the procedure. :) 
Have you ever experienced bullying or abuse in a position of trust? Or you can share what you know about it already x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld

Comments

• Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    I was bullied by my coach as I was young and vulnerable, quiet and the only girl to have moved abroad. 

Being bullied from someone in a position of was pretty shitty, they had the influence to change my whole teammates views of me because people believed her over me. 

It was very isolating and tough. I think this is such an important issue that's often overlooked due to the thought of these people being a safe haven. 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Tee ATee A Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Hey @Laine !!!

I think this is a very important post!

Especially because people in positions of trust are more likely to get away with bullying! There is a lot of misconception surrounding authority and bullying. They are not the same and just because someone has more authority in a particular situation, e.g. a GP at the doctors surgery, does not mean they can treat you however they like! 
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Very good point there @Tee A ! Reminds me of a common bullying practice in go surgeries which is
    Turning you away without good reason. 
    The only reason they can is because they're full or you're too far away. But many sent people without id and they should be reporting it :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    I've not been bullied by anyone in a position of trust, but I was sometimes treated differently by teachers and other members of staff in high school. It felt awful, more so because I didn't have many friends, was quiet and generally got on with my work so I wasn't any trouble. But sometimes staff picked up on my differences and I guess they just didn't know how to treat me. Can't imagine what it's like for those who do get bullied by someone in a position of trust. Definitely think it's worth reporting and keep on reporting until something is done about it!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.