Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anti Bullying Week - Have you ever bullied someone?

Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
It's day 4 of Anti Bullying Week!

We've shared experiences of being bullied, and now we're going to focus on the other side - sharing experiences of bullying someone. This might be a difficult conversation to have, but it's important. :)

Keep in mind that most of us will have had at least one-off moments where we can say we bullied someone. In fact, Ditch The Label recently found out that half of us have bullied someone at least once.

It's also important to note that nobody is inherently a bully. Bullying is a behaviour, not an identity. This conversation is about understanding that behaviour - not about judgement. This is a safe space <3

If you'd rather post under a new account to share your story, that's okay - we'll lift the multiple accounts rule for this discussion only. It's important everyone feels able to share. :)
Our usual rules apply for all other threads

Have you ever bullied someone? And if so, what happened and what made you do it?

Comments

• Options
    I am ashamed to say this but in the past I have been a bully and bullied someone. This happened a couple of years ago but it is something that I will always remember because I know that it was wrong of me and I have learnt to be a better person. There was a girl in my year who I used to call an unkind name. I have learnt my lesson from this, apologised to the victim and now we are friends. There is no excuse for why it happened but it mainly came down to a lack of understanding.
  • Options
    It takes a lot of courage for people to admit if they are bullying someone. It might look like people who have been a bully don't care about what they have done but many bullies eventually learn to change their ways and use their experiences to improve as a person or to help people.
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,785 Master Poster
    This is a great discussion @Emma_ It can be really scary for people to open up but The Mix are very understanding of sensitive issues and are happy to give people another chance. <3
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    I may have bullied someone when I was a child. I can't really remember it much but I felt they were annoying so I may have been rude or lashed out at them. I never really saw them much but sometimes, I think about them and wonder how they are. I would say sorry if I had the chance.

I try and pay close attention to how I feel. I've noticed that I sometimes develop strong feelings of dislike towards certain people. And every single time, do you know what? It was actually because they either reminded me of myself, how I used to be, how I wished to be, or just generally feel insecure/threatened by them (again down to my insecurities). It was never actually about them but me. I rarely show my feelings towards them and actually try to do the opposite- I try to get to know them a bit or just observe them. I realise they are human and have their own problems. I've also learned to focus on myself- sometimes I may feel jealous at others but then I focus inwards on myself and my life and try and take steps to accomplish things that I want in life, rather than focusing outwards, comparing and having negative thoughts.

I also think that learning about minorities, especially those that often face bullying and discrimination, has helped me to be more compassionate and empathetic too. 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.