Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is my boyfriend emotionally abusive?

Im sorry its long. Please read I need some advice.....A few times he would look like he's in a mood so I leave him to go on his phone even though I want to talk with him and have a laugh. A few times he's snapped at me or said things like " how can you watch that, I understand because .... " . He eventually would say sorry. And we'd move on from it.

On my birthday night a few weeks ago, I heard him tut at something while on his phone so I asked what's up but he had a go at me for not watching the film cause he's missing it. I ended up crying and he came upto me and said you're not upset are you? I said yes I am and he kept saying sorry. 
The other day we spent a nice day in town and on the way a car was coming out from behind a bus so I had to go into the bus lane which was empty. He then said" what you doing, you're gonna get a £30 fine". 
I said I'd rather get a fine then have a car accident. 
He again said sorry. When we got home he was saying sorry again but I said you say sorry alot just lately. He's been in a better mood since. 
He mentioned he used to be able to stay up til 3am and stay in bed til 12 the next morning. And he did do that a couple of times. 
But it made me paranoid because I know hes been texting his ex. He said hes talking with his friend again but when I did something on his phone for him I noticed its his ex because he showed the picture of her to me. 
I deleted all exs off my phone but he recently started a friendship up again with his ex. I don't get why my bfs have to talk their ex's???? I'm so confused and sad. 
Apart from all this he is loving and listens to me. And I do love him. 

Comments

• Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    Hey :) based on what you've said, I don't think I would call it emotional abuse. These are pretty normal disagreements, and we've all had these kinds of discussions before. And you say you love each other, so will take your word for it. I wouldn't be concerned about this.

What does concern me though is that he's in touch with his ex. Judging by the fact you've deleted all yours, I assume that you don't think that it's okay to be in touch with your ex while you're in a relationship with someone else. I think you do need to discuss this at some point, but how you approach is up to you - you know your partner best. Hopefully, he'll understand that you're not okay with it and stop contact x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Hey, @lianna23 It looks like your boyfriend says sorry a lot and I think I know why that might be it might be because he loves you so much he doesn't want to lose you also he might not have gotten over his ex yet I know that because I had the same problem before I was in a relationship and sometimes my boyfriend kept on making excuses he had to go off the phone to me but really he had been messaging his ex.
    So I think it takes a while for someone to get over the person :)