Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Exercise during lockdown

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
This is mainly for those of you stuck at home all or most of the day: are you exercising? If you are, what's your routine and how are you finding it? If you're not, have you noticed a difference in how you feel?

I recently made myself start running again after a bit of a hiatus and I think I'm generally feeling better for it. Curious to hear what the general situation is for you guys and how fussed you are about exercising. :)
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hi @Mike

I've really been struggling with exercise lately. At the beginning of lockdown I was doing really well regularly running and doing two classes a week but the last few weeks I haven't been doing great - I just can't seem to motivate myself to get out there. I think it's partly because I have a lot of work on and the weather hasn't been great recently but I'm also just feeling super lethargic.

I'm still doing my one yoga class a week and I love it but I really want to get running again because I know it will make me feel better, especially when I'm sitting at a desk all day every day. Any tips for getting back out there after a hiatus?
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    I really need to get back into exercising regularly... I was doing daily workouts before the lockdown and at the beginning but I've really started losing my motivation, it just feels like I have no time for myself! I don't know if that's a very common feeling but to me it feels like there's just not enough hours in the day anymore.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I’m still exercising, I’d normally swim so obviously I can’t do that so I’m doing a couple of online fitness classes a week. Used to do Pilates too but I’m finding I’m exhausted so haven’t done that for a while.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    As it currently stands i appear to go out about once every week if i'm lucky its appalling just don't have the motivation for it 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Tee ATee A Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    I'm a "gym rat" so I'm struggling :lol:

I've tried to make a timetable so I can train a specific muscle group.... to be honest I'm struggling to follow it! I feel good when I actually exercise but actually getting up is my problem :tired_face:

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Aidan said:
    We have an old exercise bike in the spare bedroom, so I go on that and watch something on Disney+ while I go :lol: my main problem with exercise is how boring it is, so it helps to exercise and do the things I'd be doing if I wasn't exercising anyway

I have a lot of star wars and MCU to get through so this should last a while! :joy:
    That sounds good. Do you listen to music while doing it too? I would love an exercise bike. I think that is the only thing that would make me exercise
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited July 2020
    I stand corrected I have gone up and down the stairs 5 times in last few mins so that's gotta be exercise. I'm whizzing around the house with Spotify going 😂

(Or should I say wheezing around the house. Air!) 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I walk 6 miles every day from Monday to Friday.
    I also use weights we have in the house and do toning exercises as well as cal burning exercises. My fav are strength like doing Weights and using resistance bands (brought all off Amazon cheap at the start of lockdown)
    GreenTea said:
    I also use weights we have in the house and do toning exercises as well as cal burning exercises. My fav are strength like doing Weights and using resistance bands (brought all off Amazon cheap at the start of lockdown)
    I love resistance bands not used them in a while I should get back to it! 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

Laine said:
    GreenTea said:
    I love resistance bands not used them in a while I should get back to it! 
    I absolutely love them too. I got some from Amazon but I do know Aldi every now and again do sports stuff that's actually really good
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    I have learnt to love home workouts, I'm excited to get back to the gym but definitely loving home workouts more than I did. Alice Liveing does workout classes on her instagram live every morning at 8:30, I'm finding them fab! 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    edited July 2020
    That fall in motivation seems to be SUCH a big thing at the moment. That feeling of just not having enough time or energy or headspace to do anything other than tread water - you guys aren't alone.

Mad respect for those of you who are managing to keep it up! @GreenTea sounds like you're definitely getting your steps in - 6 miles a day is really impressive. Are you feeling good for it?

Han93 said:
    I'm still doing my one yoga class a week and I love it but I really want to get running again because I know it will make me feel better, especially when I'm sitting at a desk all day every day. Any tips for getting back out there after a hiatus?

@Han93 I think for me it was partly born from a need to get out the house and/or stand up for a bit after working for a while. Also, for me there's something about getting into running gear and the sort of mindset that puts me in. I quite like wearing it and getting ready for a run, which makes it easier to actually follow my plans through, because once I've got the gear on I'm past the hard bit. As @Tee_A said, it's getting up and making that first step that can be the biggest barrier.

Saying all this, I haven't been for a few days now because I've been so sleepy-tired. Ironically, that was one of the reasons I wanted to run again - so I would get back that sense of being physically tired which would hopefully mean I relaxed more in the evening and slept better. So mission accomplished, I guess...? :sweat_smile:
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    @Mike
    I mean it's normal to me because I walk everywhere, I walk a lot as it's just something I've always done, I don't really know if I feel good for it lol. It's just..my normal it that make sense?
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    edited July 2020
    Exercising most days as before lockdown - mix of weights and cardio! Being at home gives more time to focus on it, and if you've a set of dumbbells and a bench, you can get a decent routine going. If not, there's thousands of different routines and workouts you can do without any equipment, all guided through videos, apps, websites etc. It's hard not to find anything, really!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.