Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Visiting my GP

StarlightStarlight Posts: 1,436 Wise Owl
Right so I’ve been thinking about going and seeing my GP, for my mental health, for a while now and the idea really scares me, but I’ve decided I need to give it a go and see if there is anything they can do. I’ve not booked an appointment yet and not sure when I will but I’m slowly working my way towards it. If anyone has any tips I would be so grateful, I’m so scared but I know it’s what I need to do. I just need that extra little push.

“I got you, moonlight, you're my starlight
I need you all night, come on, dance with me”

* Shine like the star you are! *
Tagged:

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    No advice but know that I believe in you!! You can do it 😊💕
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • StarlightStarlight Posts: 1,436 Wise Owl
    Thanks @independent_ <3

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hey, 
    I find writing down what I want to say help, because if you can't say it, you can give them the paper to read! This means it's coming directly from you and nobody else!

You can do this and we are behind you every step of the way
    Thank you @GreenTea I’m going to have a think about what I want to say 

We can help you if you need jt
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey!

this is really good and the most biggest step to helping your self <3 i would suggest writing a few things down so you dont forget. And just remembering that they have heard it all before and theyre not their to judge what you say but only to find a way to help you. It also may help to have questions that you may want to ask too. Aswell as how you feel. Just so you feel like there may be an outcome for your appointment. Like thinking about what you want from the appointment. Meds, therapy?  They may say to book an appointment in two weeks time to see if you feel the same way. Im not sure. Ive heard of that happenin. My gp isnt the first person i spoke to it was the hospitsl so i dont have much experience on that but i hope they find a way to help you <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Thanks @Shaunie much appreciated  <3

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    A really useful thing you can do is write down what symptoms you're showing, either as a list (with frequency, severity, when it happened, anything that helped etc), or even better as a diary. It helps both you and the GP keep track of what you're experiencing, as it's easy to forget a symptom or some small details in the session if you find it scary/uncomfortable x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey i felt the same way about seeing my GP, I was so scared of going but one of my friends convinced me too. My GP was honestly so understanding and took the time to speak to me about thing a without pressuring me or anything. I agree with what Shaunie has said it’s a good idea to think about what you want from it, but it’s also okay to not really know yet. Going into my appointment I had no idea of what I wanted, my GP just explained all my options to me, because I didn’t really know what to do at that point he just told me to see him again in a week, so it gave me time to think. Like other people have said it can be a good idea to write what you want to say down that way if you feel too anxious or forget things you can refer back to the list you’ve wrote. I hope everything goes okay x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
    Thank you @Azziman and @Dandelion I really appreciate the advice and reassurance, much needed thanks x

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    You can absolutely do it! :heart: And we will all be right here to support you every step of the way x
    Thank you @coc0mac I hope I can do it. So happy to have such lovely people behind me. Thanks  <3

You can do this 💕 take your time and we are behind you if you need us
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @Starlight,

It's great to hear you're thinking of booking an appointment, that is a massive step in itself, you should feel proud for it as it can be really hard to do.

Mind have a good little video and guide (I attached the link below) based around helping to find the words to express how you feel. It mentions the points above which is great advice given already. One of the advice from the video is to when you book an appointment is to ask for a longer appointment so that you feel more relaxed and not rushed to say everything in a short period of time
    https://www.mind.org.uk/news-campaigns/campaigns/you-and-your-gp/ 

Thank you @mags98 so grateful  <3

I keep getting thoughts about what my mum would say if she knew I wanted to go back to see my GP. I keep thinking she'll just say he wont be able to do anything cos there's nothing wrong with you, your just stressed that's normal, just do everything you don't want to do that's how you sort it. Even if you get counseling its not going to help because you wont listen to what they want you to do, you think you know best. But there's nothing wrong with you you just want attention, your attention-seeking if you stop believing theres something "wrong" with you you'll feel better, your over exaggerating there's nothing wrong with you.

Its constant I cant get it out of my head, what if its true what if im faking it? I don't even know anymore, I don't think I am, I don't think I could fake feeling this shitty, but maybe I am. Maybe I just want attention, although attention scares me! Maybe there isn't anything that they can help me with, maybe im just a lost cause and he wont help me because he thinks I've just gone crazy and there's actually nothing wrong. 

You are absolutely not a lost cause, and how you feel is totally valid. You can't fake how you're feeling, it's a part of you and if it isn't good, you would not be seeking attention by getting help for it. In fact the opposite would be true - I think it'd be very very brave of you to seek out the help you need I know for one it's really hard to get the courage to do that, and by making this post it shows me that you are beginning to get that courage and feel brave enough to get help, which is amazing!! 

I know it's really hard when you think someone won't react well, I've been there too. Has your mum said stuff like that in the past? Either way, at this age, your parents may not need to be involved at all if you don't want them to be.

It's really scary, but I really do believe you can do it - you're so strong and brave :heart: 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Thanks @independent_ I still cant get past the thoughts though there taking over my mind, my mum, dad and sister have all said things similar to that to me before and im so scared on of them will find out! I just feel like such a phony and that ill be taking away a place that someone else would need way more than me because im "fine" Its just too much. I don't know what to do anymore. Sorry for putting this on you I feel awful but I just cant let it stay inside me any longer 

Hey, it's not a problem at all! Don't worry about it, always here if you ever need a chat <3 

I know how it feels when the thoughts of the worst case scenario are the only things you can think about. It's really hard when people have said that stuff to you in the past, but it's important that you realise that you're not being fake and you're not "fine". And it's ok not to be fine. It's better to seek help now rather than wait years and realise it's got much much worse. You are not attention seeking, your mental health is incredibly important just as much as your physical health. If you had a broken leg, you wouldn't worry you were faking it - it's a very real thing. It's the same with your mental health. It's real, it's having a huge impact on you, and you deserve help. 

Sending hugs <3 
    Thanks @independent_ I just feel so lost and fake and stupid and scared I don't know what to do any more :cry: