Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Clap for carers: meaningful gesture or too little too late?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
edited May 2020 in Politics & Debate
I've been talking to some people recently about clap for carers - where everyone claps at 8pm on a Thursday to show support to the key workers carrying us all through this pandemic. I know most people in my life are generally in support of it and think it's a lovely thing to do. The people in my house clap every week and my aunt seems to appreciate it as a key worker - I think it gives her a lift.

However, some people don't like it. I know people who feel like a clap is too little too late, particualrly for NHS workers who have been on the recieving end of a huge amount of budget cuts over the last decade. There seems to be some resentment there for the public for not voting in politicians who care for the NHS. Kinda like a clap feels like a plaster when what they really need is money from the government and support from everyone, all the time; not just during a pandemic when we need them the most.

I'm curious: what do you all think about clap for carers?

All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Clap for carers: meaningful gesture or too little too late? 20 votes

Meaningful gesture
20%
SienaAbigailDancerZen 4 votes
Too little too late
25%
JustVindependent_LaineSalix_alba_2019Toni 5 votes
I have another opinion
55%
SkiveTheMixPast UserAzzimanEyepatchGreenTeatkdogPoppyBStarlightBenMaEGM 11 votes

Comments

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I have another opinion
    I feel the the whole clapping thing was nice when it first started, but I feel it lost its focus to see who can make the loudest noise. 
    I also stopped clapping because people where I live clap, but also have loads of people round constantly and keep breaking lockdown rules and I don't want to clap along side someone putting themselves at risk and putting more pressure on key workers with their own stupidity
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I have another opinion
    And to be really honest. Everyone deserves a clap. 
    The children who suddenly got taken out of school and don't understand what's going on.
    The parents trying their best to keep their families safe while working from home.
    The grandparents unable to connect with anyone physically, just to stay healthy and safe.
    The people still going into work to keep the country going.
    The teens who want nothing more than to see their friends but have accepted with fear, what's going on and stayed home.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    edited May 2020
    I have another opinion
    I think people are reading into it too much. It's not meant to plaster over political battles over the NHS or conditions, it's not meant to cover up the virus and how we've handled it, nor is it meant to recompensate workers. It's not appreciating some people lots while others are ignored. It's simply people clapping in appreciation of something at the same time - it's emotive, nothing more than a sign of goodwill to some frontline workers. I'm really not sure who or how all this political argument and discussion got dragged into all this, and it ruins something that had a really wholesome intention.

Edit: meant to vote for 'meaningful gesture' :P
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Too little too late
    It does feel more like a stab in the back in some way in my opinion 

i understand its original intention of simply applauding carers and key workers for their hard work

but its turned at least here into an excuse to break social distancing for the evening and party for over an hour.

Thats most hypocritical in my eyes, clap for their underpaid hard work and then put each other at risk it needs to dial down or stop i think

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited May 2020
    Meaningful gesture
    Azziman said:
    I think people are reading into it too much. It's not meant to plaster over political battles over the NHS or conditions, it's not meant to cover up the virus and how we've handled it, nor is it meant to recompensate workers. It's not appreciating some people lots while others are ignored. It's simply people clapping in appreciation of something at the same time - it's emotive, nothing more than a sign of goodwill to some frontline workers. I'm really not sure who or how all this political argument and discussion got dragged into all this, and it ruins something that had a really wholesome intention.

Edit: meant to vote for 'meaningful gesture' :P
    I agree with all of this

the first clap felt really nice and lots of meaninng but im glad today was the last clap kinda doesnt feel the same as the first few times. And i dont like seeing my neighbours clapping when ive seen many people go inside their house. It is also annoying that people go to the hospital to clap but none of them was even socially distancing. But other than that it is nice and dont think it has to do with politics. 

Some people get annoyed with it. I dont see why ypu would get annoyed with it and if dont like it then just dont say anything if not postive and just dont do it. It is nice to show apperication for what going through now as keeping the world going. 

It has been something people look forward to doing. They get to see their neighbours and show some apperciation

the NHS has been struggling for awhile and we cant control that. Only gov can. Even when we vote we are still not sure what will be getting so we are a bit powerless in that sense. They have been struggling for awhile and still appericate them being there but this is still the biggest thingy worker have face atm in thsi time. 

Everyone is struggling. But mostly those who are still going to work. Those who arent going to work are just being told to stay at home. Its not like being told to go to war or something. So its good to says thanks for those keeping world going and put themselves at risk

@Mike what do you think?

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    I have another opinion
    Very interesting thread to hear everyone's opinions!

Personally I think it was a really nice gesture as frontline workers working in the NHS and social care have been undervalued & underpaid for too long and are now risking their lives to support those in need. However, as the weeks go on, I've seen more and more people using it as an excuse to meet up and not social distance which directly undermines the whole message.   
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Too little too late
    I do feel as if what the NHS needs now is proper funding to take it out of the crisis the tories have got it into. 

The clapping was a nice gesture at first, but once it became weekly it lost a bit of its meaning. And of course you get the people who think so long as they clap for the NHS they can do what they like in terms of lockdown the rest of the week.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • BenMaBenMa Moderator, Staff Posts: 143 Helping Hand
    I have another opinion
    Hey!

My stance is that key workers, particularly NHS staff always put themselves in harm's way to care for patients - why should it take a worldwide pandemic for our key workers to finally get the recognition they deserve?

There were 8.2 reported attacks on ambulance workers a day in Great Britain in 2016/17. This is completely unacceptable for ambulance workers who are there to help each and every one of us.

Whilst I understand the gesture, more must be done by the public to ensure the safety of our NHS staff. Not just from health risks, but from physical and verbal attacks on NHS staff.

Nobody deserves to be hurt, but this particularly applies for NHS workers who have worked daily since 1948 to provide care to us. <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    edited May 2020
    Too little too late
    @Shaunie said:
    @Mike what do you think?
    So, I'm quite on the fence. Initially I was quite angered by it because, as someone who has been a leftie voter since forever, I found it really hard to stomach the hypocrisy. Particualrly seeing Boris himself clapping outside Number 10 as if he hasn't been one of the people strangling the NHS for years.

That being said, I'm mindful that I might be getting too caught up in the principle and not seeing it for what it is: a wholesome show of support. I know a few of you mentioned that in this thread and I can really see what you mean; people might be giving this a lot more weight than it should have. I think my political frustrations are just peaking with the clap for carers thing and making me less objective.

I have to admit, I didn't realise it was leading people to break social distancing guidelines. Interesting about the A&E statistic too. Probably shouldn't get myself on a rant about people flouting lockdown. ;)

Really interesting to hear what you all think, by the way. This is more divided than I expected!
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I have another opinion
    The most meaningful gesture you can do is vote for a party that will protect the NHS. This isn’t a Tory government.
    Weekender Offender 
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    My neighbour is an nhs worker and it happens to be that she gets home around the time of the clap (when it was happening) so it kinda became a thing where the people on my road would clap her as she got out the car which was nice as she was really appreciative of it.

i think that whatever we do or say someone is always going to find the negative in it. This came from a member of the public and had good intentions. The thing I do take issue with is the politicians *cough* Boris *cough* clapping it just feels like a slap in the face... and it just feels insincere. 

Sorry I know the clap is over now but just wanted to add my thoughts as a future nurse :) 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    I have another opinion
    I agree with a lot of what you have all said, although the Clap is a nice gesture for the NHS workers. It’s just that, a gesture, it doesn’t actually do anything.  It feels just very British, keep calm and carry on, rather than stop think and find a better way. 

I’m glad that individuals from the NHS are enjoying it though, they deserve something nice after everything they go through.  

I am slightly confused though, is the clap just for the NHS or all keyworkers? Everyone I ask tells me something different 

"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    edited July 2020
    I have another opinion
    I feel like it became something a little too political, its nice to appreciate their efforts but it became more about people talking about the issues with the NHS. And NHS workers often said while it was nice it didn't really help in meaningful terms. I havent actually seen a clap for carers happen other than on tv though. That's why the person who started it said to end it cuz politics. 

Yeah ive seen people clap for other carers like firemen and even delivery drivers.