Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Notification for Quoting?

independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
With these new boards, is there absolutely no way that it could be set to send a notification when you’re quoted, without having to tag the person?

I always feel really bad if I see that someone has quoted me asking a question and I haven’t answered because I haven’t got the thread on bookmark (the rant thread, for example) and haven’t had a notification.
“Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah it doesn't work.  Somewhere it was written that it is useful if you tag someone when quoting them. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Aidan said:
    I haven't actually noticed if you do or not, do you get a notification for this?

With these new boards, is there absolutely no way that it could be set to send a notification when you’re quoted, without having to tag the person?

I always feel really bad if I see that someone has quoted me asking a question and I haven’t answered because I haven’t got the thread on bookmark (the rant thread, for example) and haven’t had a notification.

I don’t unfortunately @Aidan, the only reason this is about to notify you is because I tagged you. If I’d just quoted you now, it wouldn’t notify you. And you quoting me didn’t notify me. The only way to do it is through a tag.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Shaunie said:
    Yeah it doesn't work.  Somewhere it was written that it is useful if you tag someone when quoting them. 
    I always try to remember to do this @Shaunie, but sometimes I do forget and I guess others do too because sometimes I go into an old thread and find a quoted message of mine that I haven’t seen because I wasn’t tagged and I wasn’t notified.
    Aidan said:
    Hmm it's weird that even though it links to your profile in the quote, it isn't like a proper mention because it doesn't have the '@' before your name!

Maybe that's something the quotes could be changed to include?
    Agreed @Aidan, I it is strange indeed. 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    edited May 2020
    @Shaunie said:
    Yup!

We added tagging to the guidelines as more of a culture thing, because annoyingly people are notified when they're quoted. It's the same with reactions, which have been mentioned before. We'll add this to our wishlist of new features because it would be suuuper handy. :)

Something you can also do is just whack an '@' next to their name when you quote them, like I did with Shaunie above. It's not an ideal thing but it's an easy way to drop a tag if you need to.

Quoting and referencing
    Quoting someone is a useful way of telling people exactly what you're responding to. This doesn't trigger a notification for the person you quote, so it's polite to tag as well.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
This discussion has been closed.