Home Help Desk Bugs and other issues
Ongoing maintenance - the boards are undergoing some ongoing, intermittent maintenance. Pages might load slightly slower than usual and there may be very short periods where the boards are offline.

Notification for Quoting?

independent_independent_ Resident Coffee AddictScotlandPosts: 5,219 Part of The Furniture
With these new boards, is there absolutely no way that it could be set to send a notification when you’re quoted, without having to tag the person?

I always feel really bad if I see that someone has quoted me asking a question and I haven’t answered because I haven’t got the thread on bookmark (the rant thread, for example) and haven’t had a notification.
“Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”

Comments

• AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 2,640 Boards Champion
    I haven't actually noticed if you do or not, do you get a notification for this?

With these new boards, is there absolutely no way that it could be set to send a notification when you’re quoted, without having to tag the person?

I always feel really bad if I see that someone has quoted me asking a question and I haven’t answered because I haven’t got the thread on bookmark (the rant thread, for example) and haven’t had a notification.

"Do, or do not, there is no try" <(•.•)>              
  • ShaunieShaunie I’m alive but I’m dead England 🏠Posts: 11,271 An Original Mixlorian
    Yeah it doesn't work.  Somewhere it was written that it is useful if you tag someone when quoting them. 
    𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐩 𝐝𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐚𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐝𝐨𝐧’𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮. 𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮. 𝐒𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝. 💕💕
    independent_
  • independent_independent_ Resident Coffee Addict ScotlandPosts: 5,219 Part of The Furniture
    Aidan said:
    I haven't actually noticed if you do or not, do you get a notification for this?

I don’t unfortunately @Aidan, the only reason this is about to notify you is because I tagged you. If I’d just quoted you now, it wouldn’t notify you. And you quoting me didn’t notify me. The only way to do it is through a tag.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • independent_independent_ Resident Coffee Addict ScotlandPosts: 5,219 Part of The Furniture
    Shaunie said:
    Yeah it doesn't work.  Somewhere it was written that it is useful if you tag someone when quoting them. 
    I always try to remember to do this @Shaunie, but sometimes I do forget and I guess others do too because sometimes I go into an old thread and find a quoted message of mine that I haven’t seen because I wasn’t tagged and I wasn’t notified.
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 2,640 Boards Champion
    Hmm it's weird that even though it links to your profile in the quote, it isn't like a proper mention because it doesn't have the '@' before your name!

Maybe that's something the quotes could be changed to include?
    "Do, or do not, there is no try" <(•.•)>              
    independent_
    Aidan said:
    Hmm it's weird that even though it links to your profile in the quote, it isn't like a proper mention because it doesn't have the '@' before your name!

Maybe that's something the quotes could be changed to include?
    Agreed @Aidan, I it is strange indeed. 
  • MikeMike Screen addict 🎮 LondonPosts: 2,916 Community Manager
    edited May 21
    @Shaunie said:
    Yup!

We added tagging to the guidelines as more of a culture thing, because annoyingly people are notified when they're quoted. It's the same with reactions, which have been mentioned before. We'll add this to our wishlist of new features because it would be suuuper handy. :)

Something you can also do is just whack an '@' next to their name when you quote them, like I did with Shaunie above. It's not an ideal thing but it's an easy way to drop a tag if you need to.

Quoting and referencing
    Quoting someone is a useful way of telling people exactly what you're responding to. This doesn't trigger a notification for the person you quote, so it's polite to tag as well.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    independent_
This discussion has been closed.