Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Im turning 16 soon and I wanna move out of my parents house for my mental health

GlareGlare Posts: 1 Just got here
I'm 15 right now I live in the United states of America i'm turning 16 in 3 months I Live with my dad and step-mom with a whole bunch of siblings and cousins about 7 of them I don't live with my mom cause she could barely take care of me as a child and is physically and mentally abusive so I was sent to live with my dad to live a better life I moved in with my dad and step-mom with some personal issues and I was picked on in middle school and hav been sexual abused alot of time when my parents find out I have done sexual things they don;t hear me out just beat me yell at me call me names and keep me trapped n the house even when they didn't find out those things my step-mom still was a bitch and no help at all always treating me and her own child so different and unfair and my dad is just ok with it my life is going no where here and I already hurt myself because of them when they found out they just blamed on my boyfriend they never bother to hear me out and when i try  get shut down to them my words mean nothing and im always fine when im not so I wanna move out and live with my grandma who is the only one who helps me so I wanna know how I can move out and live with my grandma a very good friend of mine i known for 6 years says when I turn 16 he will come pick me up and take me away from home but I don't want him getting in anytime of trouble so I wanna know if I should let him come pick me up and drop me off at my grandma's house and she has already said yes with me living with her but I don't wanna get me my best friend or my grandma in trouble with the law

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hiya :) Just to say that I've seen your message, but I'm not too familiar with American/state law so wouldn't know how to advise, hopefully someone else can come and be more helpful though. Stay safe!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    I moved out at 17, it’s tough but worth it. Although I don’t know much about American laws,

Because you are being hurt by them, they are the ones breaking the law, set your phone camera to film if you think they are about to hurt you, that way you can show any police evidence of child abuse. 

It can be awful, but gathering evidence means that you will be safe and protected if anyone around you gets in trouble with the law. ask your grandma to write down that she is okay with you staying at her place and sign it, that should help keep her safe. 

Your friend shouldn’t get into trouble, as they are just giving you a lift, if you are worried ask to meet them someplace that can’t be seen from your parent house windows- like a block away? (i don’t actually know how far a block is) 

I wouldn’t sneak out at night or anything, as this makes you more suspicious. Try to get your parents permission to stay at grandmas, you don’t have to say how long, get them to sign something, write it down or record them. Then leave during the day when lots of people are about so that if you parents try to stop you someone should witness it. 

If they ask why, You could say you are going to self isolate with your grandma so that you can help her be less lonely. 

You can do this, be strong, stay safe, think it though. Contact your states child abuse line whenever you too 
    :) wishing you the best of luck from across the ocean 

"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy."